iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filling cracks in a glue up top

Started by ozarkgem, April 26, 2016, 07:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am building a center island out of  ERC. They want a natural edge on all 4 sides. So I am making it like a big picture frame and filling in the middle. I am sure I will have some small cracks. He does not want the 2 part bar top finish. I will be using Varathane.
So what do I fill the cracks and defects with before I put the Varathane on?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Ianab

I use West Epoxy to fill table tops. Works on pretty much any hole or crack, although you will want tape up the back if it's a through gap. Otherwise you glue your top to the workbench (DAMHIKT)

Then you sand down the fill so it's level with the wood and varnish off the surface as normal.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OffGrid973

Depending if you want the voids as decorative or not you can add shavings to the epoxy as well to hide or accentuate.  I use Mas epoxy with medium Hardner but small gaps and quick coats the fast harder will be best.  Make sure to order the pump tops that auto measure for you, makes the 1:2 ratio so easy, mix for 90 seconds and pour from a solo cup into your cracks.  Make sure to tape through cracks as mentioned or your piece gets a new bottom attached to your prep bench :)  #CrowBarTime

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Savannahdan

I've used dried, used coffee grounds with epoxy or superglue to fill voids.  If you're looking for color you could try toner medium from copiers/laser printers.  You have to work it slowly and I recommend wearing a dust mask.
BTW, see you're in my old home state of Missouri.  I'm originally from SE Missouri area and graduated from SEMO.
Dan
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

ozarkgem

Quote from: Savannahdan on April 29, 2016, 07:23:58 AM
I've used dried, used coffee grounds with epoxy or superglue to fill voids.  If you're looking for color you could try toner medium from copiers/laser printers.  You have to work it slowly and I recommend wearing a dust mask.
BTW, see you're in my old home state of Missouri.  I'm originally from SE Missouri area and graduated from SEMO.
Dan
So from the Cape area?

low_48

Do you know that wood expands and contracts in width from season to season? When you frame in a solid wood panel like that, it will break the joints since it can't move. No need to fill the cracks, they will reappear during one of those changes.

Savannahdan

Just a little south of Cape - Wyatt.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

sawwood

I have had to fill some cracks in tops and use the system 3 epoxy tinted with trans-tint dye. I also use a hair dryer
to heat the epoxy so it will run into the void that way you know its full. I buy my epoxy from amazon as it to far
from Wood Craft store. If the voids are all the way threw put tape on the bottom to hold it in.

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

ozarkgem

I ended up using glaze coat 2 part epoxy. Takes some time but it worked. I think I will try some of the other methods listed here next time. Thanks for all the input.

Thank You Sponsors!