iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine board treatment

Started by Hunter1000, May 09, 2016, 12:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter1000

Hi Everyone,

Newbie with this awesome Woodmizer.  Made some nice pine boards for barn siding, 5/8" after they dried to <20%.  Question - if I treat with oil based stain/preservative, do I need to sticker them again?  I coated heavy with the oil, and stacked them high on each other and doused sides and ends again, then put under some metal roofing to keep rain off. 

Is it OK to just leave it like that for a few weeks while I wait for structure of barn to be built or you all think will get mold and discolored?  Thanks much!

Den-Den

Less than 20% moisture should be low enough to prevent mold, not sure how the wet oil based stain might react to dead stacking.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Hunter1000

Thanks much for your thoughts Den!  Appreciate the reply.

Ox

I'll bet a dollar you'll be just fine.  Boards are dry enough, oil is oil.  Not much to go wrong in my opinion!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Hunter1000

Thanks Ox - for the reply.  Enjoy your profile pic message too.  Nice to see some kindred souls up north!

woodmills1

next time lean them up against the building to dry and don't do it in the rain.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!