iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carburetor trick--sharing the wealth

Started by azmtnman, June 03, 2016, 12:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

My 20hp Onan hasn't idled for a while. A buddy of mine that used to be a mechanic (one from the era that had to troubleshoot rather than plug them in) told me the idle jet was probably plugged up. He told me to take the air cleaner off, start it up and rev it while I covered the air intake with my hand a couple times and it would probably suck the clog out. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!  8) 8) 8) 5 minute fix versus taking carb off.
   I've worked on carbureted engines all my life (on my own stuff) and had never heard that trick. Thought I would pass it on.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Chuck White

Glad to here that it worked for you, I had never heard of doing that.

Thanks for sharing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

DanG! Mine hasn't idled for a long time, either. Know what I'll try.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sandsawmill14

carb mechanics are far and few between now around here at least :-\ if you can even find one that will try its 50 / 50 shot on whether it will be better or worse when you get is back :-\  i will have to keep that trick in mind and give it a try next tine one is giving me problems ;) thanks for sharing it with us  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Czech_Made

That explains it, thank you.  I had recently  trouble starting a tiller and the only way it would start was thumb over the carburetor intake, like 98% choke.

But after it started the issue went away on it's own - must been what you mention, the stronger vacuum cleaned the idle jet.

Kbeitz

The Onan idle jet is under the float on the bottom of the carb,
A small chunk of music wire pushed in the jet hole with the adjustment
screw out will also remove 99% of any dirt. A blast of air will also help.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

This is a new one one me as well.  Makes perfect sense, though!  I've always done it the hard way and did a carb breakdown.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

bkaimwood

bk

kelLOGg

DanG again. It didn't work for me. I tried it 4 or 5 times. Twice the engine died but still wouldn't suck out the clog - if there is one. :'(
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

xlogger

Bob my engine would not idle good till I switch to non ethanol gas. Lots better now.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

I switched to non-ethanol gas about 6 months ago but saw no improvement.
Bob

sandsawmill14

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 05, 2016, 08:00:23 AM
I switched to non-ethanol gas about 6 months ago but saw no improvement.
Bob

i cant tell any difference in the ethanol gas or pure gas either but i figure its because i burn so much my saw gas is never over 2 weeks old and the mill gas is bought daily ;D but i guess it might be worse if i was keeping it on hand for months  :)

Czech_Made

I buy nonethanol gas for all small engines and also for my antique motorcycle.

Funny, further you go from DC, more available the real gas is :)

sandsawmill14

i have to drive 15 miles to get non ethanol gas so i wont change unless it starts causing problems :-\ i dont question pure gas is better but the ethanol stuff is good enough the way i use it :)

Percy

Whenever I have carb issues and the above method doesnt work, I've had good results pouring some fuel injector cleaner into the gas. Like more than what the instructions say(6 oz in 1 gallon). Very quickly, my neglected lawnmower with ethanol gas from last year still in it, seems to smarten right up....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

Take out the low idle adjustment screw before giveing it a hand job.
That opens an air way to help suck the dirt in...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Czech_Made

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 05, 2016, 09:33:33 AM
i have to drive 15 miles to get non ethanol gas so i wont change unless it starts causing problems :-\ i dont question pure gas is better but the ethanol stuff is good enough the way i use it :)

My pure gas station is 25 miles, but I make the extra effort for small engines, since they are the most sensitive to bad gas.  But good gas can sit in jerry can for few month without problems.

Anyway, here is a handy page:

http://www.pure-gas.org/

azmtnman

Quote from: bkaimwood on June 04, 2016, 08:52:30 PM
Old timers call it a hand job...
:D :D :D That's what he told me to give it!! I was trying to envision......
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

crazy

What's a carburetor?  Just kidding.  I will try both methods.  I have several small engines that I need to get running.

Kbeitz

Mix a tad of two stroke oil with your gas and it will last a long time.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jcbrotz

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on June 05, 2016, 09:33:33 AM

LOL I have to drive 15 miles to get to a gas station. :D Sorry had to but I use non-ethanol in all small stuff and diesel in the rest.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

plowboyswr

Quote from: crazy on June 05, 2016, 07:01:44 PM
What's a carburetor?  Just kidding.  I will try both methods.  I have several small engines that I need to get running.

Welcome to the Forum! ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

crazy

Quote from: plowboyswr on June 06, 2016, 06:39:21 PM

Welcome to the Forum! ;D

Thanks.  This is a great forum and I have been doing plenty of reading. 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Crazy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tnaz

Another Welcome to ya Crazy.

Terry

Thank You Sponsors!