iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Special moments

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 04, 2016, 09:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Abbie, our middle/8 y/o granddaughter came home with my wife yesterday so Becky could help her make jam out of strawberries she and her 2 sisters had picked. Yesterday afternoon Abbie asked me to go for a ride on the 4 wheeler so I told her we'd go look for fawns. Normally the does raise them in the pasture above our old goat barn so we rode up there and started slowly walking down the slope checking every treetop and the base of every tree for fawns. We saw 2 does there and in the trail as we pulled up. About halfway down the hill I spotted a big box shell turtle so Abbie took it home and played with it and fed it some strawberries. Her bed time story was about box turtles and her dad when he was a boy. First thing this morning she got up to go check on her turtle then wanted to go look for more. When we got back to the area I told her "It was right around here we found the turtle yesterday" and lo and behold I looked down and found another. Abbie grabbed it and we walked about 30-40 yards and I told her to stop. I'd spotted a fawn right beside the fence in a well worn deer trail. We walked to about 15 feet from it and I told her to stay there and I went back and got Becky, the free lance photographer, and brought her back with her camera. Below are a few of the pictures of the fawn. The last couple Abbie almost petted the fawn but we stopped her about 6' from it so she just got a good look. This was the first fawn I have seen this year and the darkest one I have ever seen.

Its times like this that it is great to be a grandpa living in WV.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

A special moment for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Nice pictures,nice moments.
I can still remember my Father coming home to get my Mother and me to see a fawn. He was cutting wood and the top of the tree must of hit the fawn. He was limbing the tree out and saw the fawn. The only one that I have ever seen. I can still remember the spot that I saw it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2016, 09:45:05 PM
Nice pictures,nice moments.
I can still remember my Father coming home to get my Mother and me to see a fawn. He was cutting wood and the top of the tree must of hit the fawn. He was limbing the tree out and saw the fawn. The only one that I have ever seen. I can still remember the spot that I saw it.

I have consistently found fawns every year I have looked for them in this area since I found the first one. I don't find them every day but if I go back another time or two I will eventually find them. Something about that spot is a natural nursery and we can bank on the does leaving the fawns in that area. We watched a single and a pair of fawns grow up throughout the summer last year. Its fun to watch them grow and slowly change. Its even more fun when I can take and show the grandkids.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Used to find them while marking timber, could get close, and look around for mom, on one time I was marking walked around a tree, almost ran into a yearling.  It was concentrating on some distant point and did not know I was there.  Being young and dumb, I slapped it on the back side.  Let me tell you, young deer, or any deer I suppose, are nothing but coiled springs.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sandhills

Very nice story and pics WV.  Texas Ranger, I was walking through a pasture one day fixing fence and almost stepped on a fawn laying in the grass, about like lightning he was on his feet at a dead run and squealing, I'm not sure who scared who worse  :D.

WV Sawmiller

Well, we had all 3 girls overnight. Son had them at Dollywood and we went to check the house and feed his pets and found his waterline had broken and flooded downstairs while they were gone. Did some clean-up and had plenty of fans going to help circulate the air and dry up the rest. We picked up the girls when they got home to keep them out of the way as he finished repairs and clean up.

This morning my dogs started barking so I went to check and found an old doe calmly walking about 2' from the fence and dogs 2' away on the inside. Didn't phase her a bit. Middle granddaughter came running in to tell me as she had seen her out the other window. We watched her a while till she finally moseyed on off.

Becky is working on the pictures from her cousin's wedding in Mexico last week so I took the girls out to the barn after breakfast to keep them out of her hair. Misting rain but they wanted to ride the 4 wheeler so loaded them in the dump bed of my wife's Artic Cat and started up the hill. Had not gone 70 yards and just started up the hill when they yelled at me to stop as they saw a baby deer. Sure enough a fawn was bedded down about 30 yards from where I normally saw. Was laying next to a big rock. We walked to about 15' from it before it ran up the hill. We followed on the 4 wheeler. It never got over 35-40 yards away. We left and toured rest of the pasture and on the way back we stopped again to watch the fawn who had bedded down in an old tree top about 20 yards from us. I guess he figured we did not see him as he is still there as far as I know.

I was surprised the girls could spot him like that and told them so. They were real proud of themselves and we had a real good time watching it. I know there are fun things to do in the city too but I am sure glad we live in the country and can share moments like this with our kids and grandkids. I hope they can share them with their kids when they are older.
Howard Green

WDH

Pretty special moment, there. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!