iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Free Tree in Douglasville GA

Started by SkyDoc, June 07, 2016, 09:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyDoc

Calling all sawyers in the greater ATL area.

My brother had a poplar cut down and the person doing the work wanted an exorbitant amount of money to remove it once it was down. He simply wants some one that can use to to come get it for the low low price of FREE .99....

The base is 29.5 and the length is 35' to where the branches start.

I have nothing to gain from this other than helping out my brother. If any of you can use that log for a project or resale please reply to the post or message me if you're interested and local.

Thanks
Doc
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Savannahdan

Nice looking log.  I'm going to be in that area the latter part of this week but won't be able to get it on top of the KIA Soul I'll be travelling in.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

tnaz

Quote from: Savannahdan on June 07, 2016, 02:31:28 PM
Nice looking log.  I'm going to be in that area the latter part of this week but won't be able to get it on top of the KIA Soul I'll be travelling in.
I think you can; and I'll help. :D

WV Sawmiller

Not in the area. Looks like a nice tree. Someone with a portable mill might be able to saw it on site easier than bucking and moving the logs if it is accessible, permitted by local regs for such and your brother would be okay with that. Another option might be to have it sawed into sheeting (4/4) and sell the lumber on Craiglist or such to recover his sawing costs. In the end he would still save the removal fee and might even make a little money on the deal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SkyDoc

I figured that someone with a mill might want it, I dont think he'd go for having it milled then selling it or milling it on site. He's just trying to give it to someone who would use it.
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

tnaz

I really thought someone would have jumped all over this?  I do not know the value of a tree?

Savannahdan

I'm sure the better half would be really happy with having that on top of "her red car."   :D  If that log were down here in Savannah I would hop on it quickly. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Brad_bb

Give it a chance Tnaz.  The value is depending on many factors.  The way loggers make money is on volume.  To make the shipping cost worth while, they need to deliver a full load to spread that cost out.  If a semi hauled only one log, then that one log would have to bear the same cost as 15 logs.   A local sawyer who has the ability to move logs will take it.  It's work, time and fuel to go get one log.  Because of that investment he has to get it for free or very low.  Prices are usually given for logs on the ground at the mill, which is to say delivered.  I'm not in your area.  But i'm working up to getting the truck and trailer set up that I'd be able to load and haul a 26ft log, and if it were in my neck of the wood, I'd get it.  Another consideration is that you don't want to tear the guy's yard up getting it out.  For that we have log arches to fetch them out to the road or loading location.  Give it a few and someone will get it.  If not from here, put it on Craigslist.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: SkyDoc on June 07, 2016, 05:44:12 PM
I figured that someone with a mill might want it, I dont think he'd go for having it milled then selling it or milling it on site. He's just trying to give it to someone who would use it.

I totally understand. If it were me I could get my mill in and cut the lumber there pretty cheaply if it were near my home. I could remove the cut up lumber but I do not have support equipment to move and load logs that big. I am sure there are others in the same boat.

I sell my poplar lumber for $.75/bf and a tree that big should conservatively yield 1,000 bf or more. Not having the equipment to move it means I'd likely spend a couple hundred dollars getting it transported, then milling, storage and marketing so I'd have several hundred dollars invested before I ever saw a penny of return.

There may well be someone close by with a truck and/or trailer with a loader who can pick it up and move it. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

clintnelms

If I weren't 3.5 hours away I'd come get it in a heart beat. Dang!

dnalley

With nothing to reference size to, is that 29.5 inches diameter or circumference?  Just to clarify my own mind.

SkyDoc

WDH

The tree has a pretty nice butt log, but above the first 10 feet or so, the knot scars on the trunk indicate that there will be a lot of knotty lumber, and knotty poplar lumber is hard to move. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

But it would make some fine barn/shed siding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It would be great for a knot man. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is knot a road trip that I would gofur.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Even if I was close, I believe I'd pass on that one.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Texas Ranger

That may be an up and coming new age siding, knotty poplar.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!