iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the fastest way to kill poison ivy?

Started by DelawhereJoe, June 18, 2016, 07:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckshot00

Diesel fuel or gas or both.  I hate it.  Get it every summer.

cliffreaves

The only luck I've had that seems to be permanent is cutting the vine close to ground, pulling as much of the vine off the tree as possible, then trying to dig up the root.  I was dealing with vines 2-4" thick when I did this a couple years ago and it hasn't come back yet.  On the bigger vines, round up only seems to kill the leaves temporarily.  Once you cut the vine, the leaves will die in a couple days. The oil on the dead vine can get you long after though.  I learned this a few weeks ago when I was pulling dead vines off a dead walnut tree and like an idiot rubbed the sweat off my right eye with my glove.  Oh yeah, wear disposable gloves when you decide to mess with the stuff.

florida

Poison Ivy is very tender and easy to kill. Cutting it off near the ground usually does the trick but I add a squirt of Brush Killer just to make sure. Smaller plants I give a blast of the brush killer and they die.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

sandhills

I've never seen it the way you folks have it, ours only gets a foot or so tall but will be a solid mat of it, I use grazon, but like spurge it will come back in a year or two in the same spot.

Ox

Our poison ivy just stays near the ground, too.  I've never seen or heard of climbing poison ivy vines until I read it on this forum.  Is it the same critter?  Are they leaves of 3?  As in "leaves of 3, leave it be"?  Is the northern stuff just not able to grow long enough because of shorter warm weather times?  Is it a different species with the same burn in it?, like poison ivy, oak and sumac has the same burn stuff in it to make you rash up.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

There is poison ivy or something that looks like poison ivy on a tree that I have driven past for 25 or 30 years. It is an inch or more in diameter and goes straight up the tree. When a guy bought the property, he decided to get rid of it. He hacked out about a foot long section but that thing still lives I believe. It must get moisture from the tree it clings to.
About a week ago, I sprayed some round-up around trees in preparation for mulch. I saw some poison ivy and thought that I would have to mix up some Brush-B-Gone. When I mowed today, I saw the poison ivy was dead from the Round-Up.

thecfarm

Poison Ivy grows like what sandhills and Ox posted on my land. Never seen it in a vine at all. No problems here with poison oak or sumac. I can kill it easy in the sun,but in the woods,I just can't seem to get rid of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

I've always called the nonclimbing stuff poison oak, as it looks like an odd oak seedling to me and has a more lobed leaf, the poison ivy is the fur covered vines that climb up trees and less lobes to the leaf....but I'm happy to kill it all and let nothing grow in its place.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

cliffreaves

Yup, it's the three leaf stuff.  If you type in poison ivy vine in Google images you'll see what I'm talking about.  I'm originally from SW Missouri and never noticed it growing up trees there either.  Here in Tennessee it gets ridiculous fast if you're not proactive.  We have the ground stuff here too. 😕

Ox

It surely has something to do with the warmer climate, these climbing vines of poison ivy.  Seems like after we had goats I haven't seen any around.  It's been years.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

enigmaT120

This is the stuff we have:

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Rhus+diversiloba

They're wrong though, it can grow in the shade.  It does a lot better in full sun.  Mostly it's a shrub but I had one growing up a tree like a vine and I saw another guy's place where he had tons of it, huge ones growing up 200 foot fir trees.  I really hated that tour, I'm surprised I didn't get a psychosomatic rash!

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

maple flats

Around here poison Ivy is ground cover, until it finds something to climb, then it keeps growing and becomes a huge vine. I've seen plenty that has exceeded 2" diameter, and some that reached 3" diameter. It is real tough to kill.
I was complaining about the poison ivy to a friend and he told me that poison ivy can't live in the presence of boron. I recently bought some and will try it this summer to see if he is correct. Boron is rather costly, but if it works, will be worth it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

DelawhereJoe

Borax like "20 mule team borax" has boron in it and is I'm sure lots cheaper. After you posted it I looked it up online and people use it to control ground ivy, it sould work and I have plenty of poison to try it all on.

sprucebunny

If you want to change the ground ph try vinegar or baking soda. Probably ought to look up what it likes or test the soil.

Round up works best in sun and when applied at noontime.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom King

Isn't Brush be Gone, and most of those "B-Gone" things just 2,4,d?

DelawhereJoe

I think just the weed-b-gone is 2,4-d, the brush-b-gone is Triclopyr. Once i finally get a few hours not working or driving here or there I'm mixing 2,4-d, triclopyr and 41% Glyphosate. May even try the borax mix too. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/8-22-1997/borax.html

mesquite buckeye

Happy Birthday.

Our poison ivy trees rarely get trunks thicker than 4". ;D

I like to have the spray from the chainsaw pointed away from me when I cut them. ;D ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

DelawhereJoe

Just got a chance to mix a spray 1 gal of new age orange, I will let you know how it works. I sprayed poison ivy, sweat gum, mulberry, multiflora rose, devils walking stick, wild black raspberries, red maple, willow oak, black oak " I think", some sort of flowering wild shrub, Virginia creeper, pokeberry, sassafras.......I think thats about it...forgot cedar.

DelawhereJoe

Completely forgot the first thing I sprayed...a dandelion, about 30 minutes ago it was about 13"-14" across, nice big healthy one and not its starting to gasp for breath....already....this is gonna be sweet.

DelawhereJoe

24 hours after spraying the poison ivy and devils walking stick, I think some of you guys call it prickly ash,  are starting to wilt some leaves, also burning a few holes in wild black raspberry leaves.

DelawhereJoe

Mulberry and pokeberry are wilted up, there done for...leaves curling up. Multi-flora rose ends are wilting too.

DelawhereJoe

The sweet gum and the flowering wild shrub are curling up too.

customsawyer

You can add a shot of lemon juice to your spray and it will lower the ph of your mix. This will speed things up. Don't over do it as it will brown out the leaves before they have a chance to take in the chemical.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!