iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut log value

Started by Joey Grimes, July 31, 2016, 04:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

We looked at a small tract of standing walnut in Alabama about 1 double deck load of logs most are 16-24 inch diameter. We plan to log it ourself with tractor and front end loader and single axel truck good roads are already established. What would be a fair price for me and the landowner per foot on doyle scale concidering I'm doing the logging ?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Texas Ranger

Possibility on these small logs you may only have half the "color", it would be a gamble to buy at dbh.  Local values come into play, and most of us do not keep up with other state values.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

shelbycharger400

Depends on grade and defects.  Don't cut em til you have a buyer. Everyone has different cut lists.  One guy might want gunstocks,next might want #1 and #2.  I've played .50/ bd ft for 24 in dia, up to 1.75 .   Some I went and sawn on site, some they delivered.  That said I sawed up 4  @ 18-20 ,8 footers, and 6-7 @4 ft. And a bunch of mis. On Saturday  . Lots of 1x and a bunch of 2 and 3 inch thick slabs.  Retail around 800 + plus as is.   Charged him $200 . I was their 8 am- almost 3.  And he loaded with a bobcat.  Cut to the chase. I showed him exactly where to cut the logs.  Crooked logs, cut wrong would have been A lot of waste.

Ron Scott

Yes, as stated, know what your operation costs will be, what your product market is and what your expected harvest volume and selling price will be to your purchaser before signing any contract with the landowner. Then offer the landowner a fair stumpage price.
~Ron

Joey Grimes

I will be sawing the logs for our retail lumber sales .We normally cut 8 10 12 foot long and cut 4/4-8/4 thick I was thinking around .50 per foot concidering the different grades of lumber the logs will produce .
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Ron Wenrich

What you're looking at is how much to pay for stumpage.  It's the same thing that any other logger would do.  They know what they can get out of their logs by knowing what others are paying for it.  In my area, you wouldn't be buying very good walnut logs at .50. 

How small of tract is small?  We have a local mill that will cut down walnut if you have 20 trees.  That means they need about a triaxle load to drag in a skidder and cut the walnut.  I don't know what their prices are, but they have a sawmill, but sell to veneer markets.  Veneer has been pretty hot and the $3-4 price wouldn't be out of that range on veneer.  Walnut is usually steamed, so the white sapwood is a deterrent in that market. 

You might want to check with your local state forester and see if he has an idea of what walnut stumpage goes for.  Your local extension service may also be of assistance. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I am at $2/BF Doyle scale in the log and I still cannot get any.  If there is not any available, the price does not really matter  :)

Wholesale, tractor trailer load quantities of 4/4 walnut, rough sawn and kiln dried, F.O.B. mill (loaded on truck at mill so does not include hauling cost) is reported at $4070 per thousand BF on the Hardwood Market Report.  #1 common is $2100 per thousand and #2 common is $1360 per thousand. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

Most people in my area buy and sell logs by the ton. By my calculations .50 cents per foot on doyle scale would be aproxamatly $100.00 per ton does that sound about right?

tule peak timber

Prices most definitely differ from coast to coast ! Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Quote from: Joey Grimes on August 01, 2016, 09:16:18 PM
By my calculations .50 cents per foot on doyle scale would be aproxamatly $100.00 per ton does that sound about right?

No.  More like $62.50/ton.  The typical conversion factor between tons and Doyle is 8 tons per thousand BF.  At least that is what we always used.  $100/ton would be more like $.80 per BF ($100/ton x 8 tons/MBF = $800/MBF or 80 cents per BF), still an excellent price.  The ton price that I am quoting is $250 per ton ($250/ton x 8 tons/MBF = $2000/MBF or $2.00 per BF).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Recent MN timber sale auctions have walnut stumpage at $2056 for 36.68 MBF with 35% veneer, $720 for 10.5 MBF, $514 for 3.5 MBF.

Quote from: WDH on August 02, 2016, 07:35:27 AM
  The typical conversion factor between tons and Doyle is 8 tons per thousand BF.  At least that is what we always used. 

Around here Doyle scale is not used but the Scribner conversion is 5 tons per MBF including Walnut. The tables I have show Walnut on the Doyle scale would be 6 tons per MBF.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Joey Grimes

The charts I've looked at were showing 1000 feet of walnut logs weigh 11,900 lb.I understand the shorter logs are cut the better yeld will be.I would like to see more charts to compare feet to tons for different hardwood species but there's not a lot out there that I can find

Gary_C

There's good reason for that lack of charts on that conversion. What you are doing is converting round to square with multiple scales with different inaccuracies plus converting volumes to weight with different densities and moisture contents. Doesn't make for good conversion charts.

That's why most loggers just say there is 500 board feet per cord and weight scaling is not fair.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on August 01, 2016, 07:41:47 AMand I still cannot get any.
You just ain't barking up the right tree.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

killamplanes

I personally am not a believer of buying or selling by the ton. A completely hollow log from one end to the next still has weight but no bdft.  :P
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

tule peak timber

Yup , and we do get the rotted logs,,,,,by the ton !............Rob

WDH

Quote from: Gary_C on August 02, 2016, 09:59:41 AM
Around here Doyle scale is not used but the Scribner conversion is 5 tons per MBF including Walnut. The tables I have show Walnut on the Doyle scale would be 6 tons per MBF.

Gary, after some analysis, I believe that your 6 tons/MBF Doyle for walnut is more accurate. 

tule peak timber

We yield about 2500 BF for 32-33 thousand pounds of short walnut logs. Typically 15-24 inches in diameter. The orchard logs I buy by the pound are not straight and sometimes have useless branch stubs that make loss even worse. Then there is the metal......Rob

Thank You Sponsors!