iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small exhaust leakage in weird location on Husky?

Started by edge, November 12, 2004, 05:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edge

I've got a new Husky 359 (prior year model without the cat converter).  Tonight while cleaning I noticed what looks and smells like a little bit of exhaust slime on one of my air cooling fins near the base of the decompression release button.  

It is a very small amount and is probably normal, but being on the lookout for any problem signs it has me a little concerned.  Wondering how it got there...

My best guess is that it must have been forced out near the base of the decompression button when it automatically pops out during starting.  Is this normal?  Anybody else seen this?  

I may be being paranoid but I'm concerned that I've got a leak somewhere where I shouldn't.  The saw is running great, no signs or sounds of trouble.  Since the saw is new and I'm a relative newbie, I'm not sure if this is normal.  Again, it is a very small amount but I was surprised to see it back there.  

FYI the 359 design is very similar to the 357XP, so owners of both can chime in...thanks guys.

muledriver

Its normal dont worry  !!

edge

Thanks muledriver!  I cut for an hour or so today and paid closer attention when I started up.  Looks like thats what it was.  

On a side note I've been VERY happy with the 359...great saw.  I'm lucky I have one of the pre cat-coverter models.

BikePilot

I thought only the CA models had the cat? I need to by a saw and am considering the 359, which is why i bring the issue up:)

thanks

edge

I've seen the CAT version in Lowes.  I bought mine from a local dealer and it wasn't the CAT version.  You can tell the difference three ways:

(1)  Cat version has green gas cap, non-cat version has grey
(2)  Cat version says "E-tech" on the side, non-cat version does not
(3)  Cat version meets EPA II requirements (see sticker on top of saw) and non-cat version meets EPA I requirements

You should be able to order one over the Internet that is non-CAT.  I'd just call them first to verify using the above criteria.  Check out www.alamia.com.  I don't know why alamia lists it as a consumer saw because it isn't....it has metal cases and the same construction as the pro saws.  The 359 and 365 do have a wider power band than the XP series which I like.

Thank You Sponsors!