iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over length logs

Started by bic, August 22, 2016, 04:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bic

Hey folks, can someone point me to where I can get info for the above, my lt28 will cut 21' and I need a ridge beam cut 34'
I know there are threads on here but just can't seem to find them
Thanks ahead
Bic
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

LittleJohn

...I have no experience with sawing logs longer than my mill, but I think there are 2 options:

• Buy bed extensions
  • Do the cut, scoot and cut technique

bic

Any idea where I can find info on the "cuttin,scootin,and cuttin" technique
LT 28 Woodmizer

thecfarm

Go to "extras". It's in the Menu Bar,the one that starts out with Home,Help,Search. You will see Knowledge Base,click onto that,go to Milling-Bandmills,click onto that,you should see Sawing logs longer than mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: thecfarm on August 22, 2016, 08:19:28 PM
Go to "extras". It's in the Menu Bar,the one that starts out with Home,Help,Search. You will see Knowledge Base,click onto that,go to Milling-Bandmills,click onto that,you should see Sawing logs longer than mill.

Slick!  Useful trick for this newbie, and a really useful resource.  Thanks for pointing it out.
Woodland Mills HM130

bic

Thanks old friend, looking after me again ha ha
Bic
LT 28 Woodmizer

carykong

If this is near conventional framing with rafter and ridge board, you could go with two ridge boards 17' long
Join two rafters at the joint
Won't see it
Much easier to lift and install

Cedarman

Just got an order for 12   4" x 8" x 34' which we will saw on our 22' mill.  Logs must go through our 20' door.  We have done this several times and know the drill.  Now I will have to come up with some long ERC between now and spring.  I do have an 8 acre tract that has a lot of big straight cedar.  At least I have a plan at the moment.
We use the cut and scoot method.  Pallet jack with stack of pallets helps lift log and beam and move them back and forth.  Hydraulic toeboards are precious.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!