iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms660 with Farmtek Big Bore Kit milling saw

Started by kjudd, September 02, 2016, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjudd

I have a thread started on the other forum I post updates on. As I use this saw.

once I figure out the pictures I will add them

First update. I have now put 1.7 hours of chainsaw milling on the saw. According to my tachometer.

I have noticed one thing with saw. If your running wide open milling then let right off the throttle it will stall. But you give it a quick burp of the throttle on idle down its fine. And every once in a while if you let it idle to long it will stall. It's almost like it floods itself. I think I just need to retune it some.

But on the other then that it seems to be running stronger and stronger every time I run it.

Here's some pictures of my milling setup. I'm running my 25 in bar right now. It will have the 32 in bar on it soon for some cherry.

kjudd

Update 2: I'm at 2.2 hours of milling on the saw now. It's running awesome. The only thing I have done since the initial tune is to bump the idle up to 2850 and I had to make a very small H and L adjustment. Bumping the idle 100 rpms has made it much happier there.

Update 3: This is the latest stage to my muffler mod. The turn down will be for milling. To help get the exhaust and heat away from me when milling. I'm hoping it blows some saw dust away to. The turn down will stay removable. I'm going to try and run a clamp on it. I know the brazing job is not very good. I started to get the hang of it back towards then end. I'm planning on cleaning up at a later date.

Update 4: I was having problems with the saw randomly shutting off. I got looking at it and the plug wire kept falling off. So I began to investigate. The metal ring that holds the wire on the plug had slid down the boot so only out side of the ring was touching the plug. I managed to get the ring back in place. The saw seams to run even better now. Lol

bedfordT

If you have not, you might want to look at afleetcommand's tube video on the big bore puzzle saw series, it might be in the video update, really can't recall. He found that cylinder kit has a very small air gap that presented a tuning challenge because of the gap and it appears thats where you are with yours. That series could be helpful to you and thats why i mentioned it. He has recently been there done that. He shows the gap. He plays with his saws and yours sounds like a work saw. It cutting off is not fun. maybe you have a tach for tuning. A tach should built-in and be standard equipment on  a saw

On this forum he has some posted video
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84773.0.html

I just ordered one and look forward to taming the "monster", as I think he calls it several times. I have a machine shop near me and when i get it I am going to see him and see if he can tweak it to eliminate that tiny gap and see if he can see other possible improvements and when/if that happens i will report it.

good look with yours

kjudd

Quote from: bedfordT on September 09, 2016, 02:53:34 AM
If you have not, you might want to look at afleetcommand's tube video on the big bore puzzle saw series, it might be in the video update, really can't recall. He found that cylinder kit has a very small air gap that presented a tuning challenge because of the gap and it appears thats where you are with yours. That series could be helpful to you and thats why i mentioned it. He has recently been there done that. He shows the gap. He plays with his saws and yours sounds like a work saw. It cutting off is not fun. maybe you have a tach for tuning. A tach should built-in and be standard equipment on  a saw

On this forum he has some posted video
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,84773.0.html

I just ordered one and look forward to taming the "monster", as I think he calls it several times. I have a machine shop near me and when i get it I am going to see him and see if he can tweak it to eliminate that tiny gap and see if he can see other possible improvements and when/if that happens i will report it.

good look with yours

I have watch all of his videos and have messaged afleetcommand some. He is on this forum too as weimedog. That is how I found out about the Huztl/Farmertek parts. This is a video I made of my saw milling some gray birch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCtpxt0DjE

After fixing my spark plug wire issue that saw is running a lot better now.

The freeport issue can be tuned around. As of right now I don't seam to have an issue holding the tune after my plug wire problem. I have a tach permanently mounted to the saw so I can watch the rpms while milling. I have mine tuned to 12500 rpms right now. I plan to work my way up to 13500 rpm (thats where saw runs stock)

I don't think you will be disappointed in the saw at all. Mine is a Stihl MS660 with the huztl BB kit. But one day I might build a jigsaw puzzle saw.

PineHill4488

A question: what should one be looking for in saw performance that indicates this mod is needed?
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

kjudd

My was needed by a self inflicted lean tune. I scored the piston and rings really badly. And this was the non $300 option to fix it. And I'm super happy with it. 

PineHill4488

Thanks, only adjustment I have done is turn the bar oiler wide open. I'll keep a watch for conditions that warrant the big bore upgrade, this saw HAS to last a LLLLOOONNNGGG time.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Thank You Sponsors!