iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lending out my Mill

Started by Sixacresand, October 04, 2016, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

A couple of Saturdays ago, I set up my mill at a nearby friend's place.  He had about 40 pine logs he purchased to mill for a timber framing project.  After milling most of the day, We only milled about 6 logs.  During the day, I showed him how to operate the mill, change blades and the things he would eventually encounter like cutting wedges, hitting metal on or the mill or nails.  So I left the mill at his place with him and his four weight lifting boys.  I dropped by yesterday after being out of town for 9 days and there was a huge stack of lumber stickered and only a couple logs left.  I told him to keep it until he was done.  With the mill away maybe I will get some other stuff done around the house. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ox

You must really trust this guy, huh?  That's really cool that you know someone like that.  :)  I wouldn't let anyone use my mill.  Just too much to go wrong and people around here never fess up and pay their dues.  They'd bring it back and say, "The mill did this" and then leave, cheerfully waving over their shoulder.  Meanwhile, I'm stuck straightening out the backstops or something.  >:(
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

drobertson

Good deal! Glad it worked for you both,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

There are very few people that I would lend my mill to!   :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DR Buck

There is no one I would lend my mill to.   :o
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

DDW_OR

Quote from: DR_Buck on October 04, 2016, 08:33:42 PM
There is no one I would lend my mill to.   :o
i do not loan anything that cost more than $300, unless i go with it.
"let the machines do the work"

Doug Wis

TK delivered  my new 1600 on a Friday. Had a BIL and a neighbor come for the operating demonstration the transport people gave. Monday morning the neighbor came and took the mill to a pile logs he had pulled out of DNR land[windfalls]. No problems. He is much more  careful than I am.  He helped me later getting a lot of my windfall mess out and sawed. Worked out well.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with most of the others here. I do not loan my mill to anyone (although I would loan it to my son if he needed it and I was not available as he is more mechanically inclined than me and even attended the WM orientation when it was delivered). I'd much rather take the mill and go saw for someone even if it is a donation for a cause or person I support.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

No tools go out here. Do what I did work hard and buy your own.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

My family and friends think I run a rental yard with my contracting tools .
I always have to go get them back when I need them .
When I need help no ones around funny thing :(
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

paul case

There is a very short list of folks I would loan my mill to. Since both are electric they stay put . Most folks who made the list like me far too much to ask to borrow them, however 1 of them has been sawing quite a bit more than I thought for himself since we just built him a new 25x50 barn with a 30x12 shed on one side. I dont think he bought any lumber. Kinda like Johnny Cash's car. ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sixacresand

This guy is on a very short list of who I will let run my mill much less let him keep it at their place.  He and his kids have done a lot for me when I had my back surgeries and way before I had a mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

hopm

Everything on our hill is kinda community property. At one time there was 7 or 8 of our neighbors who used my shop. I didn't mind cause with my work hours it is good that there is no predictability to who and when there may be somebody rolling in to the shop, shed, or mill.

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on October 06, 2016, 10:32:57 PM
There is a very short list of folks I would loan my mill to. Since both are electric they stay put . Most folks who made the list like me far too much to ask to borrow them, however 1 of them has been sawing quite a bit more than I thought for himself since we just built him a new 25x50 barn with a 30x12 shed on one side. I dont think he bought any lumber. Kinda like Johnny Cash's car. ;D

PC

Ah, so that would be your son then, eh? 
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!