iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing for a timberframe

Started by 47sawdust, October 04, 2016, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

When selecting trees to saw for a timber frame building is there a size that will produce a more stable post or beam.Say 6x6 or 8x8.
Can my log for say a 6x6 be a 10'' log or should I be cutting my 6x6 out of something larger.Maybe I'm overthinking this,just trying to produce a good product.
Thanks for your help.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

VictorH

Most would say the best timbers have the heart centered in them.  So with that you will get one per log.  Smaller trees get you to that timber faster.  A nice not free smaller tree will give you a better timber than a knotty larger tree and vice versa.  Two questions I would ask is do you need or have a market for the side lumber from the larger trees?  and do you need to get these timbers cut quickly? - smaller trees will get that done faster.

47sawdust

Side lumber is not a priority.We have been asked to frame a small building (20x24) next spring.My plan is to cut the logs and mill them this winter.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

VictorH

if you have good quality smaller logs then I would use them.

carykong

I sawed the post and beams for my home a few years ago , all 7x 10 without regard to centering the pith. Good results. Look fine to this day. Most of post/beam were produced from SYP and a few white oak.

Thank You Sponsors!