iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I made log loading ramps

Started by Brad_bb, October 04, 2016, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I had committed to someone i know that I'd take his cherry tree logs that he was planning to cut down.  I don't have a proper log trailer, just a 12ft aluminum utility trailer.  He had no loading equipment so I made some ramps to get them over the side.  Brackets to sit on the rails.  Ramps are two 12ft 2x6's screwed together with spacer blocks between.  Cut a birdsmouth on one end to engage the rail brackets.  Cut a taper on the other end.  Used a logrite fetching arched to get logs by street. Rolled them up to the ramps, which were high enough to clear the fender.  Then I used some straps, fixing one end to the other side of the trailer, looping it under the log and back over the top and connected to his truck.  He drove forwards and the log rolled right up the ramps.     The logs ranged from 10 - 14 inches.  4 of them I can get a useable timber that can be used in a timberframe.  One log will be boards.  I thought I'd post this to show the design of the ramps.  They worked very well, but I did break the wooden rail brackets.  I made them the same morning.  I would have liked to have taken more time and used some micro-lam scraps to build them instead of the pine lumber.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Czech_Made

Nice score and clever solution  smiley_thumbsup

5quarter

Nice set up Brad. I load my trailer the same way. I use 2 10' lengths of RR track for my ramps though and 1/2" cable for my lines. but more often than not I'm loading really big wood.

So are you collecting parts for your own house, or are you supplying parts for others?
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

scsmith42

Good solution (but I'll bet that rolling those logs up the ramps by hand wasn't fun!)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

clintnelms

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 05, 2016, 04:16:48 PM
Good solution (but I'll bet that rolling those logs up the ramps by hand wasn't fun!)

I don't believe that's what he did. He said he used a strap tied to the truck and they rolled right up the ramp. I think he probably just posted a picture of him rolling it up to the ramp. I was thinking the same thing at first until I read that part.

4x4American

There's a much easier way:

1. Take some chains or straps and lay them parallel on the ground.
2.  Roll the logs overtop of them.
3.  Flip the trailer on top of the logs,
4.  Bind the logs to the trailer
5.  Hook chain to side of trailer and flip back over.
6.  Hitch up to trailer and commence to carefree motoring.   smiley_beertoast
Boy, back in my day..

Sixacresand

So far I have self loaded all my logs with just that method, except now I use a winch to roll them up on the trailer. It is a slow process.  The trailer in most cases has to moved to line up with each log before loading unless you have them staged in one place for loading.  I use cross timbers in the floor of the trailer which allows the logs to be higher than the rails and fenders so I can unload them quickly by rolling them off.  The timbers also prevent logs from come crashing down on the floor of the trailer when loading. 
Of course I like 4x4's way of doing it too.  :D

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brad_bb

I saw this method of loading on a youtube video.  I designed the ramps myself so they'd be light weight yet strong.  I built them in a couple hours.  This wood was for me.  An acquaintance asked me if I could use them and wanted them a few months ago.  I said sure.  In truth, with the drive time and work involved, it's definitely cheaper to have my log guy bring and dump logs at my place.  I had said I would get them though, so I had to live up to my word. 

4x4american, that is some hillrod rigging that I'm not smart enough for!
Yes, I was very tired by the time we got the logs to the landing.  All 5 were in their back yard and I had to use the fetching arch to get them out to the road so I wouldn't tear up their grass.  So we used his pickup ball hitch to pull the strap that looped around the log. 

Kbeitz

So far this has been working great for me...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2016, 10:20:20 PM
There's a much easier way:

1. Take some chains or straps and lay them parallel on the ground.
2.  Roll the logs overtop of them.
3.  Flip the trailer on top of the logs,
4.  Bind the logs to the trailer
5.  Hook chain to side of trailer and flip back over.
6.  Hitch up to trailer and commence to carefree motoring.   smiley_beertoast
5. Take off axle and put it underneath.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kelLOGg

Quote from: 5quarter on October 05, 2016, 12:21:55 AM
I use 2 10' lengths of RR track for my ramps though and 1/2" cable for my lines. but more often than not I'm loading really big wood.
:o 10 feet of RR track? - that must weigh 500 lbs each unless it is very small gauge. Say/show more.

I use steel 2 x 4s eight feet long and place supports under them for heavy logs. Pretty easy to handle. Then parbuckle onto trailer.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

4x4American

:D :D  Dennis...I can't believe I hadn't thought of that!  I guess with my triaxle gooseneck trailer I didn't want to mess around with moving 3 of them axles to the other side  :D :D

Boy, back in my day..

5quarter

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 06, 2016, 07:07:42 AM
:o 10 feet of RR track? - that must weigh 500 lbs each unless it is very small gauge....

They are smaller gauge but but are still north of 150# apiece. I've bent or busted so many "ramps" while loading logs that I just got fed up and cut 2 lengths of track that I salvaged from a demo site a few years ago. Aside from loading and unloading the ramps, it's been a pleasure to load my trailer.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SineWave

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 06, 2016, 04:37:08 AM

KBeitz - Do you have any more or better pictures of that rig? I'm not exactly sure how it works from your pic, but it looks interesting.

kelLOGg

SineWave,
If I may butt in.. it is a DanG loader in honor of one of our members. Tom The Sawyer has a video of his version in operation. Do a search on it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kbeitz

Quote from: SineWave on October 07, 2016, 07:22:00 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on October 06, 2016, 04:37:08 AM

KBeitz - Do you have any more or better pictures of that rig? I'm not exactly sure how it works from your pic, but it looks interesting.

The arch flips back to hang over the log. My winch pull up the log to the arch until it cant move.
Them the arch moves back up over the trailer pulling the log up and onto the trailer.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SineWave

Thank you, Bob and KBeitz. I will look into that. Nice.

Brad_bb

Yep, someday I'll get a proper trailer and make a pivoting arch and winch. My little aluminum trailer wasn't exactly built for logs. 

Kbeitz

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 08, 2016, 07:54:46 AM
Yep, someday I'll get a proper trailer and make a pivoting arch and winch. My little aluminum trailer wasn't exactly built for logs.

It makes loading all by yourself much easier.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!