iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

john deere skidder

Started by snowstorm, December 07, 2016, 04:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

snowstorm

the picture is from 1978. a 33ft lobster boat built in west waldoboro maine. it appears to be a wooden boat. almost all of them are framed with white oak and planked with cedar

treeslayer2003

Quote from: snowstorm on December 07, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
the picture is from 1978. a 33ft lobster boat built in west waldoboro maine. it appears to be a wooden boat. almost all of them are framed with white oak and planked with cedar
thats how the old work boats were made here. now they are glass but still alot of old wood boats out there. sadly, only a handful of skip jacks remain.

i moved a house with two skidders once, wish i had pics.

BurkettvilleBob

Where did you stumble across this photo?

snowstorm

Quote from: BurkettvilleBob on December 07, 2016, 06:04:54 PM
Where did you stumble across this photo?
fishermans voice.com they put out a free newspaper. the story about lee wilbur getting on an airplane in bangor is a riot

snowstorm

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on December 07, 2016, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on December 07, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
thats how the old work boats were made here. now they are glass but still alot of old wood boats out there. sadly, only a handful of skip jacks remain.

i moved a house with two skidders once, wish i had pics.
there are still a lot of wooden boats built up here. look up johns bay boat co. he makes some really nice wooden boats

Ken

Best to do that on a frozen road.  I once drove a TJ 225 with new corked chains down a chip sealed road on a hot day.  Made quite a mess
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WLC

They still launch boats off the beach at Deep Creek up here with skidders.  Neat to watch them.  Google image search "skidder boat launch deep creek Alaska".
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

barbender

Quote from: Ken on December 07, 2016, 06:42:07 PM
Best to do that on a frozen road.  I once drove a TJ 225 with new corked chains down a chip sealed road on a hot day.  Made quite a mess

Did the Highway department catch up with you? My boss had an operator run a processor across a recently paved road this summer (with over the tire tracks on) I believe that ended up costing him $3000 :o
Too many irons in the fire

Gearbox

WLC I saw then launching boats off a landing at Anchor Point . I was looking for the sign that said you were as far west as you can get by road . Found it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

fishpharmer

Nice picture!  I have an Aunt from Maine (married Mom's brother).  Her dad built lobster boats near Southwest Harbor, ME.   His old shop still stands and is at least a half a mile from the water.   I will have to ask her how he got the boats to the water.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!