iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

de-bearded myself

Started by yukon cornelius, January 22, 2017, 05:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I sheared a  sheep once. It took me hours. By the time I was done he looks like he was sick or had mange. I had so much lanolin on me water wouldn't come near me. I smelled so much like a sheep my wife wouldn't either. I could walk in a lake and come out dry.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

terrifictimbersllc

YC, that was interesting.  Now let us know when you're finished.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Czech_Made

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 24, 2017, 09:29:18 AM
I sheared a  sheep once. It took me hours. By the time I was done he looks like he was sick or had mange. I had so much lanolin on me water wouldn't come near me. I smelled so much like a sheep my wife wouldn't either. I could walk in a lake and come out dry.

yeah, same experience, and lanolin burns in nicks and cuts.

Our sheep were smart  ;D ;D ;D, glad they are gone.

Roxie

Say when

TKehl

When I was young, the first time I saw dad after shaving his winter beard, "I wanted my real dad back."  After that mom made sure we watched him cut it off.   :D

I'm glad to be rid of my sheep as well.  Seemed like they were always looking for new and creative ways to die.  The cattle and goats have issues too, but sheep are a whole new level. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Roxie

Sheep are the only livestock that Cowboy Bob won't haul.  He said they won't walk into the trailer, and you have to pick them up and lift them in, like calves.  I pointed out to him that he does lift calves, and he said that calves are too young to know, but sheep are just that stupid. 
Say when

sandhills

Roxie you have to have Bob ask my old boss about hauling sheep, them two would have a hoot!  According to John (old boss) he pulled into some salebarn in Montana early one morning to pick up a load of them, well, long story short you need a sympathetic trucker beside you with a good sheep dog  :D.

Al_Smith

I sheared a  sheep once. It took me hours.
I used to shear about 75 a day when I was in high school .At nearly 69 years old I can still bend over and touch my knuckles to the ground .

Al_Smith

Now on the whiskers .I had had a full beard since my navy days.Submarine service they weren't all that fussy with trying to make you  look like a Marine Corps boot with a bald head and a slick face .At any rate my daughter was 14 years old before she ever saw my bald face .

About two years ago I decided to trim up a little and mowed off a bunch of follage into a goatee .My word had the price of razors gone up in price .Not only that but they must have been  made with women in mind because they certainly would not cut a mans beard worth a hoot .

ozarkgem

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 27, 2017, 05:01:14 AM
I sheared a  sheep once. It took me hours.
I used to shear about 75 a day when I was in high school .At nearly 69 years old I can still bend over and touch my knuckles to the ground .
I can still touch my belt buckle.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

I can see the ground, and my knuckles touch it when I fall.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on January 27, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
I can see the ground, and my knuckles touch it when I fall.   :o

NO COMMENT ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

Al,

Do your arms feel all stretched out too? I think that is why my knuckles drag the ground.

and I cannot pick up many square bales without feeling long fangered.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Al_Smith

I haven't tossed a bale nor sheared  a sheep in years .I really don't care if I ever do again .It wasn't bad for a 16 year old ,could make about 50 bucks on Saturday in 1964 .The trend changed in the late 60's.Wool became unpopular and thus the sheep farming in this country pretty much went the way of the passenger pigeon .

Since this is kind of a derail a little tid bit of info .Wool is one if not the only fabric that can retain it's insulating properties even when soaking wet .

yukon cornelius

Al, I didn't know that about wool.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 28, 2017, 04:22:11 PM
Since this is kind of a derail a little tid bit of info .Wool is one if not the only fabric that can retain it's insulating properties even when soaking wet .

There is a saying in Boy Scouts about what clothes to take on a winter campout (especially when raining) - "Cotton Kills".  That is because wet cotton wicks away your body heat.  They are required to wear synthetic or wool clothing at the campouts or they will be sent home.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bark Beetle

That explains why our sheep could care less if they are getting rained on while the goats run for their house
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

David Freed

Quote from: yukon cornelius on January 22, 2017, 05:10:53 PMI am still ugly but I am less fuzzy and ugly  ;D
I use the fuzz to hide the ugly.

I grew a beard at 15, had a mustache only for a few years in my 20s, then I've had one ever since.

Al_Smith

Another thing I neglected to mention the fabric is also fire retardant .Old time fire fighters suits were made of wool .

Czech_Made

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 28, 2017, 04:22:11 PM
I haven't tossed a bale nor sheared  a sheep in years .I really don't care if I ever do again .It wasn't bad for a 16 year old ,could make about 50 bucks on Saturday in 1964 .The trend changed in the late 60's.Wool became unpopular and thus the sheep farming in this country pretty much went the way of the passenger pigeon .

True.  Back in my white water canoeing days wetsuits were not  available.  We used sweaters and wool socks to stay warm.

paul case

I have no doubt that these things about wool are true.

God knows what he is doing.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Roxie

Except brains, He should have given them brains and then maybe they'd have enough sense to come in outta the rain.   :D
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!