iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS290 Muffler Modding/ Bar Length

Started by Mr.Rapidan, April 07, 2017, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Rapidan

Hey Foresters, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd start a thread to get into it. I just bought a new firewood/ small felling saw in the shape of a project MS290, and replaced most of the parts on it for fun, and it runs great. I am considering modding the muffler, but I honestly don't know the repercussions (if any) of doing this. I am currently running an 18" and was wondering, with and without the mod, what anyone would consider the largest bar I could run. As of right now, a lot of the "firewood" I've been cutting is large windfall, some more than 45 inches across, and an 18 incher isn't really cutting it all that well (pun intended). Anyways, let me know what you think, thanks!
Stihl chainsaws, leaf blowers, edgers, and everything in between.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ox

I would say 20" max for your saw.  Do a muffler mod and it'll be a bit happier pulling it.  But I don't think you'll be too happy with a 24" bar on it to reach across what you're trying to cut.  Is it possible?  Sure, but quite impractical.  If a lot of the stuff you're cutting is that large you really need a bigger saw.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sawguy21

20" is the longest one piece laminated bar available in .325 pitch, to go longer you would need to purchase a Rollamatic E and change the tip which imho would be a waste of money. The 290 doesn't have the grunt to pull it and modifying the muffler on that saw won't improve the situation. All you will get is more noise. Do you have a neighbor with a saw that can handle the big stuff?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

You can get  more grunt out of it by relieving the exhaust back pressure  and retuning the carb .Just remember it's a 290 really never designed to be a red wood slayer .The do fine for what they are but they will never be a hot rod no matter what you do to it .

Now then,a 45 inch  tree trunk? That's unusual no matter where you're at .Nothing is impossible,you could slice and noodle if nothing else .

Mr.Rapidan

Yeah, I am considering a 20" or a 22 if that's possible, but oaks out here in VA get big in some places, 45" is the biggest I've cut so far but 30 isn't unusual. I will most likely get a 461 in the future, for the extra bar length, but I'm making do with what I can. Also, for the Muffler mod, I would drill more holes around the baffle, but leave the baffle alone, and it shouldn't make too much noise.

Any tips on re-tuning the carb???
Stihl chainsaws, leaf blowers, edgers, and everything in between.

Thank You Sponsors!