iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Cleaning Advice ? ?

Started by Puffergas, April 09, 2017, 09:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Lost our old friend this winter, the mill building. It needs cleaned up. I have a Gehl 5625 skid steer and a stiff leg backhoe attachment. Would that work to clean up and rescue the stuff under the rubble if I added a thumb to the stiff legged backhoe attachment?? Lots of nails so I guess I would need to find a set of solid tires?? Or should I buy a root grapple bucket but those start at $1500 and I would still need the solid rubber tires. Any ideas??

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Chain + log tong.. Just pull it to the burn pile piece by piece
Praise The Lord

Spartan

Rent a CAT for a day and either bury it or pile it and burn it.  Probably be less than the 1500 your talking about spending.  Especially if you find someone with an older model.  but that probably doesn't help if you are wanting to salvage stuff from it.

LeeB

Wow, lots of work to dismantle and salvage any of it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Corley5

Do you know anybody with a self loading log truck ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Puffergas

The skidder winch could help.

A fixer could work by doing a bit at a time. I figure this will be a two month project any how.

A thumb wouldn't cost too much for the stiff hoe.

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

lopet

Hiring some body with the right equipment for a day and spend $ 1500 or spend $ 800 ( just picking this number ) on a thumb and work away on it for two months.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Puffergas

The cost problem is with the solid rubber tires. The thumb I was going to get later anyhow.

Thinking I'll pull out the good stuff with the skidder winch. Maybe burn the rubble in place. Maybe donate to the fire department to burn it. Or knock down the high stuff (eye sore) and let mother nature do the work. Maybe plant a few trees in front.
Jeff

47sawdust

Might want to check with your local health officer before you torch those shingles.Here you might get a hefty fine.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Puffergas

I was thinking of scraping them off even if I let it compost. The wood would rot faster. I appreciate all the thoughts.
Jeff

tantoy

Where I live I would not get away with burning the asphalt shingles, so I would use a mini excavator 35 size, strip shingles off and put in dump truck/ dump trailer and go to the dump. Then start the fire and feed it with the mini for a day so as not to make too massive fire. The mini would allow you you to save valuables in building. Rent the mini for a weekend for 250..?
Repairing 2 tires on the skid steer= 75.00?
No offense but trying to demo the building with skid steer with stiff backhoe would seem frustrating.
That said, I usually find ways to get things done around the place without spending any money or asking for outside help  :)
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

tacks Y

Be CAREFUL in Pa it is not legal to burn demolition debris. 

bushmechanic

Do you have a woodstove? The old guy's around here would cut all that up and burn it for heat, as they used to say "waste not want not".

Puffergas

Thanks guys. The wood stove idea has been on the table and I bet that will be part of the plan. Plus I like to make charcoal. Now if there was a saw the would cut through the nails. Spring auction is coming up, never know what kind of machine might be there.
Jeff

teakwood

and those electric hand saws (those with the hacksaw blades) ? won't they go thru wood and steel?? I have never used one dough.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Puffergas

teakwood, I'll buy a quality metal/wood blade and give it a try. Dewalt has a new 80v multi volt cordless model. But I'll give my corded HF saw a work out.
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!