iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

18.4-34 vs 23.1-26

Started by danbuendgen, April 15, 2017, 04:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danbuendgen

Just wanted some thoughts on the 18.4-34 vs 23.1-26 on a 240 Timberjack.
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

ehp

I got 23.1 by 26 on my 230A and its good, I donot sink as much and got lots of traction .. I turned my rims to the narrow way and Im 102 to 103 inches wide

central pa

We went from  3?×34 to 23.1-26 on our 450 tj like it a lot bbetter just a lot more nimble down side not quite the clearance but wouldn't go back right away
Just something I thought I'd mention we put primex tires on tore two valve stems off because the rims spun in the tire

coxy

pa your the 3rd person that I'm heard that from about the primex tires

Maine logger88

I prefer the 23.1 tires my 540 has the 23.1 and I've ran 3 different clarks with 18.4x34. The 23.1 seems to float a little better than the 18.4
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

a buddy of mine runs 45lbs of air in his 18.4 34 tires other wise he rolls the beads winching side ways and another runs 50lbs in his 24.5 32 to keep them from rolling off the bead they just cant seem to turn the back in to the pull ::) makes for a hard ride

Logger RK

Seems like a dangerously high pressure for a forestry tire to me. I'v been working on changing some of My 23.1-26's this spring. I watched a video of a protection cage,and what happenes when they blow off.

David-L

My 240 has 23.1x26 and I think it is a really good all around tire. I have had two machines with the 18.4x34 and unless your in a area where height is needed all the time the 23's would be my choice. I still seem to have plenty of height with the 23's.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

Tire sizes variety regionally, I wheel and deal in used tires so I know what sells, 18.4 is real odd down here, I've got a brand new set of 18.4 diamonds in the barn and your so limited on who is running that size tire anymore. Personally I prefer the 23.1/24.5, just wide enough and they float better. I've had issues with Primex tires and will not buy another set, they start to chunk apart from day 1. The Firestones you can run them till the cords come out. Your trying to find tires for a machine that doesn't have any ?

jdeere540a

bargemonkey i believe 18.4 and 23.1 run the same chains. i have 18.4x34 on my 540 and i was looking for chains some one tolled me they were interchangeable

ehp

I do think 18.4 and 23.1 also fit in chains, my skidder has primex on the back and will not buy that type , firestones only

Corley5

I saw a 230 Timberjack forwarder a while back with 18.4X34s on it.  It looked dangerous ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

18.4 and 23.1 are the same chain they will also fit a 28l if your in a pinch  :-X

Spartan

I run a lot of sidehill, and my 23.1 are good for that.  I don't know if I would want to go narrower, in my application.

danbuendgen

Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Ed_K

Stay with your 23-1s I hate my 18.4s. I went from 25 lbs to 35 lbs and haven't ripped a valve stem since. And I've stood it up almost to 45 degs once.and they didn't slip. I believe it has a lot to do with the lanolin they seat the tire to rim.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!