iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brake Broke

Started by paul case, May 24, 2017, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

My '13 LT40 super electric apparently has a magnetic brake on the up/down gear box. It is located on the outside of the  pulley and has 2 wires to it. I am uncertain if it energizes when the motor is on and has a spring that ''brakes'' the motor is off. It has a tang connection to the pulley/shaft of the gearbox. The slot that the tang slides into broke out and was not braking.

Yup my brake broke.

It would allow the head to go down more after the accuset put it on the mark. It took manual resetting about half the time. Mill has 1550 hours. Woodmizer tech support said first run the chain on the up/down a little tight and run heavier oil in the gearbox. That didnt help so I ordered the new $100 brake late last Friday and it came Tuesday evening. Put it on a lil bit ago and we are up and running better now.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Paul, I don't have the LT 40 super, just the LT 40.
But the magnet your talking about, is that the "encoder" ?
And I have the Simple Set.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

Nope.

It is a magnetic brake. Nothing at all to do with the computer setworks at all.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Nomad

Poston, they put one on Slider's LT70 at the Project last week.  Ask him about it.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Good luck with that, better buy a box of them, Let me guess the middle of the brake hog out.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I think I've replaced mine once or twice so far.  Peter what gets me is his mill is electric, he don't have no big cat motor on his.  Oh and what we had found on mine was something to do with a  computer update making it so that the brake dont brake until after the head rises it's 1/8"...I think I can't remember
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

That electric motor is a heavy weight too. I dont know that it is as heavy as your diesel but It is up there.

My whole reason for this thread is to find out if I was the only one having this issue. I guess I am not. I thought it was pretty direct when the tech told me you can try this and this and then replace the brake. I wasnt sure he even looked it up. The reply was immediate.

I told Scott that we could go redneck and I could cut him a sticker that would fit in a hole below the pulley and he could push it against the belt when he gets ready to need a brake.
His reply was that he didnt know it ever braked, so how would he know when to brake.

PC
pc

Dave Shepard

Would an '08 Super have this?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Dave, according to my info it was first added to the Super with rev. J7.13.  My 08 LT50 doesn't have it.  Don't know what the upgrade kit costs.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

Thanks.  I have not had any trouble. Accuset 2 has always hit the mark.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

paul case

Mine too. Hits the mark fine and then it allows the head to coast down. The durn gearbox is too slick. Ifn it had some grit in the bearings I am certain this would not happen.

PC
pc

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 25, 2017, 09:01:35 AM
Would an '08 Super have this?

Peter has an '08 40 super and he has it.  He knows all about it, inside and out
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

The inside and out?
The inside breaks and you cannot buy it without the outside?

PC
pc

drobertson

it boils down to a faulty gear box, that worm gear should not move like it does, just should not happen,  I put two brakes  on mine before selling out, disconnected it before deese bought it,  worked fine, but the gear box is still an issue, always has been, always will be until they(wmz) gets a handle on their suppliers.  I know of way too many folks that have struggled with (warranty) issues,  seen it before in the trade, band aid fixes, and continually fight the alligators,, bottom line is the mills will chunk out the lumber, its just intermittent down falls that set folks back. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

My mill is an 08, 51 Cat.
It ran well up to 1000hrs or so. Then the head would drift down an 1/8 then the accuset would bring the head back up. So while i'm cutting the head would jump up and down the hole cut. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wood Mizer told me the gear box gears will be smooth over time and turn easily.
Told to put in some 90w oil.
Did not work for me.
Sold me a $60.00 brake.

This is the one with the inside hog out. Use to be a slot where the end that goes on the up and down motor shaft.
Is this what you have?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

My LT40 was dropping with the Accuset and Diesel after awhile. Replaced the synthetic gear oil with thick 90wt and it's been good since. I guess I was lucky.   

Seems like a gearbox design issue. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Deese

I had a issue somewhat similar to this, as drobertson stated...but a buddy of mine came over while I was at work and fixed her right up. All is good down here in AL.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 25, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
My LT40 was dropping with the Accuset and Diesel after awhile. Replaced the synthetic gear oil with thick 90wt and it's been good since. I guess I was lucky.   

Seems like a gearbox design issue.

3 years ago I had to put a thicker oil in my gear box also. Mine was dropping. WM told me the wrong oil was put in there to begin with.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

In all honesty, I noticed the 2 dangling wires but didn't say anything. I got her home, did the EZ Boardwalk yoogaloo dance ritual, and BAM!! All is going smooth.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Kbeitz

I wounder if a counter weight would help...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!