The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Quarter Sawn Walnut  (Read 1358 times)

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
    • www.outofthewoodsforestry.com
Quarter Sawn Walnut
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:25:08 PM »
After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it. I quarter sawed Walnut and it turned out great I thought. Made a short video showing the days work.

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Quarter Sawn Walnut
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:08:58 PM »
"Goodness Sakes Alive, I get excited!"   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:07:16 AM »
"Goodness Sakes Alive, I get excited!"   :D

lol thought you might like that TN humor! come on Danny, I bet you say the same thing sometimes!  ;D
W/M LT40HD, W/M KD150 Dehumidification Kiln Mahindra 4550, BMS 250 Sharpener, BMT 150 Setter, MS880 chainsaw mill,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:26:49 AM »
I enjoy your videos.
Thanks for posting.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe. ... and it looks like my dream will come true!

Offline Savannahdan

• Retired.
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »
I'm having additional fun lately when I watch your videos by putting my headphones.  Expand the video, listen through the speakers and enjoy!  Thanks for posting.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Online YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it.
I was looking any the video, I would have started rotating the remaining half log maybe at the 5 minute cut, or certainly the cut ending at 5:59.  Typically, since I know the halfway down, 90° cuts in the half log will be nice, I will be fully rotated so that I'm basically back to a conventional quarter log by the time I hit the halfway point or the pith midline.  Seems you went deeper. 

For that size log, I would probably have made two position rotations.  Set it up like you had it, take the top wedge off, like you did, then take off a couple boards until I was one or two boards above the pith, or midpoint.  Then I would have done the first rotation, maybe 25° and taken a wedge off.  That would have left a 90° quarter, and I would have taken several boards from that remaining quarter, and after I lost the grain, made one more, few degrees rations, and taken the top off the remaining wedge, and sawn down through the rest. I probably explained it clear as mud.
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline OffGrid973

• Off Grid
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »
Nothing better than the “solid wood” comment and knowing that feeling when you get that much work into the tree.  Love the playlists:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLXD2MOgeo6IpYOwCzuJG7T3PbSXxNYl3Y&v=PDvL-gemluI
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Offline 123maxbars

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
After reading Yellowhammer's post on quarter sawing I thought I would give that method a try. I don't think I got it just right but i like this method and will try to improve on it.
I was looking any the video, I would have started rotating the remaining half log maybe at the 5 minute cut, or certainly the cut ending at 5:59.  Typically, since I know the halfway down, 90° cuts in the half log will be nice, I will be fully rotated so that I'm basically back to a conventional quarter log by the time I hit the halfway point or the pith midline.  Seems you went deeper. 

For that size log, I would probably have made two position rotations.  Set it up like you had it, take the top wedge off, like you did, then take off a couple boards until I was one or two boards above the pith, or midpoint.  Then I would have done the first rotation, maybe 25° and taken a wedge off.  That would have left a 90° quarter, and I would have taken several boards from that remaining quarter, and after I lost the grain, made one more, few degrees rations, and taken the top off the remaining wedge, and sawn down through the rest. I probably explained it clear as mud.

I get what your saying Robert, I am going to try again in a few days, I see the value in this method and getting better/more boards out of each log,
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Offline Larry

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
About 20 years ago I was loitering in the office of a commercial walnut mill.  I listened while one of the salesmen was telling a customer over the phone about this beautiful quarter sawn walnut that they were selling at a huge discount.  He went on to tell the customer the quarter sawn walnut was so special it had a unique name....”Pencil Stripe walnut”. :)

He got off the phone and we just smiled at each other.  The mill had a large walnut export order but the customer only wanted flat sawn with a minimum width.  They were pulling all the “Pencil Stripe” walnut out.

Larry, not impressed by quarter sawn walnut....even if its pencil striped. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Beautiful Quarter Sawn Highly Valuable Walnut

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 08:08:49 PM
by WDH
xx
anybody have any walnut pictures 1/4-sawn Vs flat sawn?

Started by Dan_Shade on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 12:51:27 PM
by Larry
xx
Quarter Sawn Red Oak

Started by chet on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post March 31, 2005, 09:35:14 PM
by Minnesota_boy
xx
What exactly is quarter sawn