iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starters

Started by Ohio_Bill, December 29, 2017, 10:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio_Bill

I have got a half dozen pieces of equipment with diesel engines . Loaders , tractor , truck , sawmill  and forklift . Seems like one of them is always having a starter problem . So trips to the rebuild shop are frequent . I don't seem to get more than 2 years or less from a rebuilt starter . After rebuilding some of them several times I have begun to replace with new gear reduction  starters and have not had one fail yet . In most cases the new starters cost less than having the old ones rebuilt . So looks like I am going to replace rather than repair .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

carhartted

As I was reading your post I was thinking gear reduction starters sound like a solution. I've also found gear reduction starters take less power to run so work better if the machine has a charging system that's less than optimal.   

The mining trucks I work on all have air starters. Work great as long as air lines don't freeze.
Here's to making sawdust.

moodnacreek

Put one in my '91 diesel pick up over 10 years ago and still going.

bandmiller2

Bill, name brand starters should last so long you will have forgotten when you installed them. I would suspect most of the equipment is not used every day it sits and the battery voltage drops, that pure poison to a starter. On most of my machinery I make up heavier battery cables. Of course your having good luck with the reduction starters. Consider trickle chargers to keep batteries topped off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

carhartted

Along the lines of battery cables and trickle chargers I would include master switches. I put a master switch in every piece of equipment I've got. My equipment sits for 6 months during the winter and will fire right up in the spring.
Here's to making sawdust.

Ohio_Bill

Great suggestions guys . I am now able to park all the equipment under roof and with power available so no excuse for a low battery . Not saying I don't have low batteries but I don't have a excuse . I don't have master switches on all of my equipment but I'm working on that .  Seems like a lot of old equipment develops parasitic current draw of some type and master switches work wonders with that problem .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Kbeitz

Check out battery minders or tenders. They sell real cheap on E-bay.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!