iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a new home, returning to the farm.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 11, 2018, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Week 5: A five day week.

Porches on and roofed, ends of main porch framed. Windows and doors hung. Started electrical inside. Measured for cupboard space and ordered. Inside petitions finished.

Awning over door

Main porch decking on and ceiling strapped.

Siding and trim should be finished up next week. We're smile'n. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

breederman

Looking good,  a house can't have too many porches !
Together we got this !

SwampDonkey

Flu Installation this afternoon. It was hot today to.

First floor

Second floor and attic

Through the roof

Clears the peek almost 3 feet, maybe a full 3 feet. WETT certified installer 40 years running. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Wood furnace. Stainless steel, insulated and with heat shield inside the house. It's a Selkirk, very reliable. :)  Double walled SS stove pipe will go from furnace to flu.

Peter Drouin

Why not a masonry one? Masonry one would last forever.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

samandothers

Amazing those chimneys can be so close to the framing.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 17, 2018, 06:23:02 AM
Why not a masonry one? Masonry one would last forever.
I won't. :D And I don't want to do battle with insurance companies. ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: samandothers on July 17, 2018, 08:53:16 AM
Amazing those chimneys can be so close to the framing.
The old brick one was. You could place your hand on the wall in the corner where it went and feel the heat. Was there over 100 years. This flu is heat shielded and insulated.

GRANITEstateMP

when the liner in my chimney failed after only 6 years (due to water intrusion), we ended up busting out all the old liner and replacing it with a stainless / insulated liner.  I've been super happy with the liner, seems to draft a bit better, and cleans WAY easier!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Yeah, and these Selkirks are good flues, my uncle put one in 40 years ago and it is still there. And his runs up outside, whereas mine in up through the house. Which is even better. :)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on July 17, 2018, 02:45:16 PM
when the liner in my chimney failed after only 6 years (due to water intrusion), we ended up busting out all the old liner and replacing it with a stainless / insulated liner.  I've been super happy with the liner, seems to draft a bit better, and cleans WAY easier!

Do you have an outside chimney?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter
Can you believe it.
The insurance companies like metal chimneys now.
When I built my place 13 years ago my Dad and I built a double flue masonry one up through the center of the house.
Times have changed. 

Mr SD
The house is looking good.
Are you drywalling or plastering ?
Or wood paneling the interior walls?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

Yeah Peter, runs up the end of our cape.  I really wanted to have the chimney inside, but we've got 10lbs of house packed into a 5lbs footprint!  Space and money didn't allow us to run it inside.  The moisture intrusion issue was a lack of drainage material around the cellar wall (it's on the ledge-iest side of the lot ;D) it was my fault, we built the house and I figured sand instead of crushed stone...  My Yankee Cheapness kicks in from time to time and it usually costs me in the long run.  

After 3 years with the stainless liner, it's all still holding up well (for what it cost I sure hope it would!).  My brother-in law that did the old flue break out also did the install and I trade him green wood for cleanings, says that we usually have a very minimal amount of creosote, not sure if it's the liner, better wood, or me and the stove reaching our Zen spot ;D 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bruno of NH on July 18, 2018, 08:04:45 AM
Mr SD
The house is looking good.
Are you drywalling or plastering ?
Or wood paneling the interior walls?
Drywall and paint. Trim in pine around doors and windows. Maple cupboards, maple stairway, maple flooring upstairs for the loom studio and bedroom up there. Insulated first floor ceiling and inside bathroom walls. Men are putting in ducts for heat and air exchanger today. Siding is going up and wiring and plumbing pretty much done or as far as we want for now. Little more work later once other stuff is in place. Shower is in, 60" long, 36" deep with seat, glass door. Didn't put door in it yet or vanity. I don't want it broke or scuffed up. :)

maple flats

I had a pre-fab metal class A chimney in my old house, installed in 1975. It is cleaned professionally once a year and inspected (the other cleanings are done by me) and now, in 2018 it is still good (my daughter now owns it). The SS inner wall on the pre-fab chimneys are good and according to the insurance companies are now better than masonry chimneys.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Peter Drouin

The insurance com. are looking at the cost of replacing the chimney. Tin chimneys are cheaper than masonry one is why. It's all about the $$$$$$. 
I have a 3 flue masonry one in the middle of the house.

knee wood. :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

Not a valid reason actually. If that were the logic then instead of replacing a $300,000 home they would only allow a $250,000 one. She's all factored in and your paying. :D ;D There are way too many old old chimneys that are not safe at all, they began cracking down a few years ago and won't even cover older homes or give you a partial coverage. And some older folks that had to shop around think they got a deal when the premium went from $1500, to $350 with the other guy, and they have about nothing in the end. ;)

Peter Drouin

They will replace what you have Insurance on. [ If that's what you have set up] When time to renew is when they get you. Drop you or the price goes up.
I got some junk talk from one, Told them to stuff it up there #&%^$#  
Today most have no idea how to burn wood, I have friends will not build chimneys. Just because most will burn green wood and ruing one in a year.
I was on the town fire department for ten years [ certified by the state of NH] and seen the tin ones explode inside a house and come apart, not good.
Seen a lot of chimney fires in masonry ones stay together to not burn the house down.
I have been a builder all my life and seen a lot of junk put up.
Some of the new laminated wood will sag when the wood gets hot. Houses trimmed in plastic with plastic siding. No painting, But when it gets burning, Wow. :D :D
I burn 5 or so cords a year and only get ½ a five gal pail of white ash a year out of it in the spring.
Wood heat is great.
Best of luck with your new house.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

SwampDonkey

I've seen 3 none brick chimneys locally, where folks burn green all the time, they had flu fires, but didn't burn down. One actually burned down not more than a month after a chimney fire, but that was electrical, and nothing to do with chimney. The house was empty. :D  I also know of a good many brick chimneys that brought the house down in a fire to. :D  Anecdotal evidence. ;)

SwampDonkey

Week 6: A 5 day week.

We have a couple sides finished with siding, another couple days to finish up. We have 3 days on it now. We wired most everything up until we pour the basement floor. We put the plumbing all in until we get the sinks and flushes in and we plumbed the shower. We put in air exchanger ducts and second floor heat ducts. Furnace and first floor heat duct goes in after basement floor is poured. Cold air return is in to upstairs, first floor ones later when furnace is in. Upstair one goes through a side wall so dust bunnies from the loom don't get eaten. :D We will insulate all around the bathroom. We will also insulate the ceiling of the first floor for sound deadening. So insulation and gyprock arrived today. You will see a hole near the window and a pile of gyprock on the floor. It had to come through that hole. The sheets are 12 feet long. Much easier than navigating up a stair case. :D We have to install a water line and drain to the washer like the one shown, a new code thing.

Shower is 60" long and 36" deep,  will have glass door.

Washer hookup, new code requirement. I guess they don't trust a pipe with a tap. :D

Hole to get 12' gyprock upstairs ;D

The pink panther is on the loose.

Autocar

Your be in pretty good shape by winter, looking good !
Bill

samandothers

SwampDonkey

Big floor loom on second floor and also one bedroom over the other, someone snores pretty good.  :D

Roxie

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!