iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Georgia Sawing project 2018

Started by customsawyer, January 21, 2018, 07:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehack

OFor some reason this project brings a Charlie Daniels song to mind.

The Goat went down to Georgia. He was lookin' for a leg to heal.
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind. He was willing to make a deal
When he came across this young Yellowhammer sawin' on a mill and runnin' it hot.
And the Goat jumped upon a hickory stump and said "Hammer, let me tell you what."

"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a sawmill operator, too.
And if you'd care to take a dare I'll make a bet with you.
Now you run a pretty good mill, boy, but give the Goat his due.
I'll bet a LT70 of gold against your ankles 'cause I think I'm better than you."

The man said, "My name's Yellowhammer, and it might be a sin,
But I'll take your bet; and you're gonna regret 'cause I'm the best RRQS there's ever been."

Hammer, tension up your band and run your mill hard.
'Cause Hell's broke loose in Georgia and the Goat deals the logs.
And if you win you get this shiny mill made of gold,
But if you lose the Goat gets your bones.

The Goat started up his mill and he said, "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his blade as his slab pile began to grow.
And he pulled the head across the logs and it made an evil hiss.
And a band of members filled with purple drank joined in and it sounded something like this.

When the Goat finished, Hammer said, "Well, you're pretty good ol' son,
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how it's done."

"Fire on the Mountain." Run, boys, run!
The Goat's in the house of the Customsawyer;
Chicken's on the fire cookin’ up slow.
Jeffie, does your dog bite? No, child, no.

The Goat bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
And he pulled that golden 70 around and hooked it to Hammers cleet.
Hammer said, "Goat, just come on back. If you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once—you son of a DanG—I'm the best that's ever been."
And he played:

Chicken's on the fire cookin’ up slow.

Maybe you musical types can put this to music for Maxbars to put on the video.  Wish I could have made it down, but maybe next year.

Legal disclaimer:
No resemblance to any song either real or imaginary is implied or intended in the posting of this humor

No goats were physically harmed in the making of these lyrics.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I got my doctors appointment changed from 1:30 tomorrow to 9:15 in the morning.
I can walk but have to walk on my heel and in a straight line.  :D
Hard to walk at an angle or the side of a hill.
Hopefully he can pull some of this fluid off my ankle.
I'll know by 10:30 am if I can come.
Thanks Caveman. If I make it I should be slow fine.  smiley_old_guy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Treehack

Added legal disclaimer to make sure I don't get sent to the woodshed :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Treehack..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I can't Nay I'm laughing so hard.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Deese

I'll be leaving Auburn tomorrow around 5AM Central Time, which will put me there around 9AM Eastern...
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

That's a good one! :D :D :D :D
I could hear ol CDB in my head.  
Too bad I can't play the fiddle, or any other musical instrument, but that's a good one.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A friend of mine, David Chambers carved this for me. Guess who's gonna get it?

flatrock58

Good one indeed Treehack.  We will be leaving early in the morning planning on being in around 9  The wife made up a batch of chocolate chip cookies and I will bring some sweet tea.  Anything else needed?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

E-Tex

Quote from: Treehack on April 12, 2018, 05:06:37 PM
OFor some reason this project brings a Charlie Daniels song to mind.

The Goat went down to Georgia. He was lookin' for a leg to heal.
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind. He was willing to make a deal
When he came across this young Yellowhammer sawin' on a mill and runnin' it hot.
And the Goat jumped upon a hickory stump and said "Hammer, let me tell you what."

"I guess you didn't know it, but I'm a sawmill operator, too.
And if you'd care to take a dare I'll make a bet with you.
Now you run a pretty good mill, boy, but give the Goat his due.
I'll bet a LT70 of gold against your ankles 'cause I think I'm better than you."

The man said, "My name's Yellowhammer, and it might be a sin,
But I'll take your bet; and you're gonna regret 'cause I'm the best RRQS there's ever been."

Hammer, tension up your band and run your mill hard.
'Cause Hell's broke loose in Georgia and the Goat deals the logs.
And if you win you get this shiny mill made of gold,
But if you lose the Goat gets your bones.

The Goat started up his mill and he said, "I'll start this show."
And fire flew from his blade as his slab pile began to grow.
And he pulled the head across the logs and it made an evil hiss.
And a band of members filled with purple drank joined in and it sounded something like this.

When the Goat finished, Hammer said, "Well, you're pretty good ol' son,
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how it's done."

Chicken's on the fire cookin' up slow.

The Goat bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
And he pulled that golden 70 around and hooked it to Hammers cleet.
Hammer said, "Goat, just come on back. If you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once—you son of a DanG—I'm the best that's ever been."
And he played:

Chicken's on the fire cookin' up slow.

Maybe you musical types can put this to music for Maxbars to put on the video.  Wish I could have made it down, but maybe next year.

Legal disclaimer:
No resemblance to any song either real or imaginary is implied or intended in the posting of this humor

No goats were physically harmed in the making of these lyrics.
TreeHack........
That's freakin' hilarious!!!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Roxie

Treehack that was awesome!  Between that and the Customsawyer troll with the mill this is just too funny!  :D
Say when

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

Friday 10 PM, I'm sure the Project is still going on.  I left at 2 PM.  Gene the Wooddoc with his magic stick, discussed grading structural lumber and how to get the best boards out of pine logs.  Nice pizza lunch and good fellowship.  Going back for day two, tomorrow.  Nice job Jake.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Andries

Dr Eugene with the magic stick in action. The discussion was about cutting decisions and how to get the most quality lumber out of a log.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Customsawyer Jake isn't shy about showing what went wrong with some of his milling results. 
Eugene led the talking about old growth and new growth causing sweep in this board and made a suggestion to market the board to Canadians (me) for snow-ski products.  :D  
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Jake Dean, our host, and David Poston, aka Poston Widehead, doing a bit of post game debrief on how this board got shredded in Jake's planer.
Special techniques and secret tricks were shared, for sure.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

The Georgia Project isn't all business and shredded lumber.
Friday had a relaxed and informal atmosphere, and the day slipped by quickly, like this:
People would introduce themselves and catch up on events and friendships for an hour.
Then Jake would fire up a machine (sawmill, jointer, planer, whatever), and people would gather around.
Questions, answers and guesses would follow.
Then, and hour later something else would fire up and people would gather.
Seems to me that the best get togethers would include ear plugs and flying wood chips.
8)

In the evening, there's always a bonfire which was tended to by Mrs Martha Yellowhammer 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Its Saturday morning and there's another full day of tips, tricks and camaraderie coming up.
I'll post some more photos and description, after I recover.  ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Looks like everyone is having  a great time. I hope everyone learns something valuable to them on this excursion.

I will not mention violations of the dress code. I assume out of sympathy for a sore hoof nobody objected to wearing of outlawed Clemson shirts. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just got home I am mentally whipped!

I decided not to stay through Saturday night as they are calling for some wicked storms to be coming through starting tonight....high winds, heavy rain, lightning and tornado warnings.
When the weather is like this, I had rather be with Julie and Paul than Jake and Danny. :D :D :D

As usual I had a great time. Custom Sawyer Jake really knows how to make ya feel at home, a true friend to all......but if you holler at me 1 more time in public... bat_smailey..... :D :D :D Luv ya brother!

I wouldn't trade these people for anything. The food was excellent....BBQ, grilled chicken, burgers, sausage dogs, sausage biscuits, nanner pudding, cakes, pies and it goes on and on.

Lots of FF members, some I met for the first time but most of them I've known for years.
It was real good to see everybody especially DanG.....in his own way...he is a hoot!!!  :D :D :D.....Ya just gotta know him.  :D

So you may wonder.....all this mentally whipped you????? NOPE!

First thing I did when I left Jakes was to stop at the service station beside the motel I stayed at to fill up with DIESEL.

As soon as I pulled up to the pump to get DIESEL.... this guy walks up and starts talking to me about my truck.

So you know me, I start running my mouth to him while I'm pumping GAS.....in the #2 DIESEL tank on my truck.  smiley_clapping

It dawns on me after 11 gallons.  :o :o :o

I STOP pumping and this guy is still talking. I act normal and hang the nozzle back up like nothing happened not wanting him to know what a DUMB ... I was.
As the conversation starts to come to an end...I had already told him I was from out of state.....and I had to get back on the road. He said by the way.....where you from.....
I said NEW YORK... :D :D :D :D :D......I swear I did. :D :D :D :D
I got in my truck and went down the road and filled the #1 tank with DIESEL and had to stop and fill it again about half way home.
Now I have to drain tank #2 and refill it with DIESEL!!!!!
At his point I would kick my own butt but only have 1 ankle to stand on.  :D :D :D

scleigh

BigZ La

Yep. Add a quart of atf then top the tank off with DIESEL and let it go. You'll do just fine. 

Sooner or later I'm going to make one of these events. Love the pics. 

4x4American

You're lucky you have two tanks to switch in between that kinda makes a bad situation not so bad..

Andries I am curious to hear more about this whatever machine, sounds interesting, does it make sawdust or shavings or whatever??
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

btw up here in the north alot of guys cut their diesel with gas to keep the diesel from gelling, only difference is  the ratio.  One guy I was talking to said he puts approx 10gal of gas in with 90 gallons of fuel oil on his t/t. Personally I cut with kero and then add a lubricator like howes, two stroke oil or spittle.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!