iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM sharpener magnet reader issue

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 22, 2018, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

My magnet reader was not reading the magnets put on the blade to shut it off.

I attempted to move it forward closer to the blade to get it to "feel" the magnet as it was on the blade. And broke the bracket holding it to the sharpener.
I had tested the magnet reader and it is working just not in the right position.

I had to mickey mouse a temporary bracket to hold the reader to the top edge of the water pan. And I got it in a position where it can now "feel" the magnet and it will now shut the pusher down correctly.
Now instead of being 6 teeth away from the start point, the magnet now needs to be 12 teeth away. But it works.

Just something else to fix on a rainy day to be able to sharpen some blades.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Percy

Had the exact same issue on my recently sold wm sharpener. Mine was very finicky as well. Took forever to adjust it.  Once I got it right, it was good but finding that sweet spot was a task.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

That sensor is a metal detector. The magnet is so it sticks to the blade. The blade can stop the sharpener if it gets too close to the sensor, as happens sometimes if there is a kink or something else moving the blade too close.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Darrel

Good info Black Cat, mine has never worked right. This gives me hope.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

LeeB

Make sure the paint isn't worn off the back of the magnet. I thought the magnet stopped the motor and when I lost mine I tried a regular magnet. Didn't work for crap. Thought the sensor was bad. Bought a new magnet from WM and it worked again. Don't know if I have any magnets for it now or not. I don't use it any more. Took one of the motors of and used it on my mill for the movable guide arm to replace the original. Same motor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

gmmills

I think there is some clarification needed on this subject. The old drag style WM LTAGA sharpener and also the Shop Series CBN sharpener have a polarity sensitive shut off sensor. That is the reason that on side of the magnet is painted. The unpainted side is applied to the blade, painted side out. If the magnet is put on in reverse the sensor will not trip.

From reading terrictimbersllc's sig line he has a BMS250 sharpener. It is basically what he stated, a metal detector.  A proximity sensor that is not polarity sensitive. The magnet can be installed in any direction and still activate the sensor. Anything metallic will trip it.       

Just keep in mind that WM has used two different shut off sensors over the years. Hope this helps members in the future. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!