iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ERC inside shop

Started by E-Tex, January 29, 2018, 09:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

I have ERC 4" thick mantles and 2" slabs stacked inside my shop.  shop is insulated buy not climate controlled.....but is warmer than outside air.

I didn't treat with bora-care as I do other species.  assuming ERC didn't need it..??
I do have fans running inside the shop.  not directly on the stacks but certainly keeping air moving inside the shop.  thought this would be better than stale/stagnant air....?  I do have a small heater in the shop by the stacks but not sure it's really doing anything.

Questions:
Am I doing this completely wrong or will this be ok for the ERC to dry?
Will these dry ok within a few months (I'm in East Texas)?
Any need/benefit to kiln dry ERC?....I think I understand you really don't want ERC dryer than 10%..?
Any need to sterilize ERC? 
(I do not have a kiln or a way to sterilize (yet).

I'm wanting to know if this will work ok to prep for inside use.  I will likely flatten, plane, sand but wanting to know if above plan will work to sufficiently dry them and prepare for "inside" use in a few months.

Any advice/tips appreciated.  Thanks
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I would do the same as you are doing.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ianab

ERC is very forgiving to dry. It's hard to mess it up, and once dry, bugs don't seem to be interested in it.

So what you are doing should work out fine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!