iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bent broke woodmizer

Started by pineywoods, February 04, 2018, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

This mill just brought to my shop for repairs. Yes, that wheel is bent over about 20 degrees.
The spindle is bent, the idler bandwheel cover is badly bent. I suspect the guide positioning mechanism is trashed. Hope the head frame is not bent. Hydraulic control valves, handles all broke and bent, valves trashed ? Mill was parked by side of the road, got T-boned by a truck. shoved the mill sideways 6-8 feet. No, it's not my mill, belongs to a local sawyer. It has about 8000 hours on the clock, 2500 on a new kohler 25 hp. Should be worth fixing..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Pineywoods, if anyone can repair it, you can.  Will the truck driver's insurance pay for damages?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Southside

Can you post a picture of it pineywoods?  For some reason the theme music to the Million Dollar Man is coming to mind - "Gentlemen we can rebuild him - we have the technology..."
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

pineywoods

Pic posted on the original thread. I'll post pics of the progress. Gonna be a while, I'm down for couple of weeks with shoulder surgery. The damage was done at night, we have some ideas but no proof. I'm quite familiar with this particular mill. It has lead a hard life..rode hard and put away wet, so no telling what else will need fixing. I flatly refused to paint it  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take a truck and T-bone it from the other side. Charge him $300 and send him home.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Well not that's really odd - the photo was not there the first time. 

Would someone PLEASE go to the WM dealer in South Carolina and let the goat get his new mill already!!!  He is getting some rambunctious!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

petefrom bearswamp

Looks like a time consuming project Piney
But Im sure u are up to it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Darrel

This will be both an educational and entertaining thread so I'm staying tuned.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

I would go over the parts and labor estimate carefully, and see if its worth it. At 8000 hours you may end up rebuilding the whole machine. Money wise it may make more sense to cut your loses and find another good used LT40 with fewer hours. My two pennies.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

pineywoods

Well, it took a while, but I delivered the repaired mill today. Lots of bent, broke, and missing parts. Had to fab some parts, mostly covers that hired hands had removed and thrown in the sawdust pile, never to be seen again. OK, so I can't match paint very well, it's as close as I could find in a rattle can. The brightly colored bandwheel covers were formerly the sides of a discarded washing machine, carved out with my new plasma cutter. During all this work, the owner passed away, and now I am dealing with an estate..Should work out ok, the estate administrator is a good friend.

Darrel

Looks good piney. That's a manual LT40, they don't make those anymore. I don't know if that makes it more valuable or not. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kelLOGg

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 14, 2018, 06:11:44 AM
Nice job. smiley_thumbsup AND you did it after shoulder surgery - that's amazing. Piney just doesn't slow down.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

MartyParsons

QuoteThat's a manual LT40, they don't make those anymore.
Yes you can still order a LT40 manual mill. Not much call for these but they are still available.

M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pineywoods

The major item was the bent axle. The idle side wheel took most of the hit, axle bent about 20 degrees. I elected to not try to straighten it, not much way to get it right with removing the axle. will just replace with a boat trailer axle at a later time. The mill will be a fixed setup anyway. The idle side bandwheel enclosure was badly mangled. That sheet metal is TOUGH.  roller guide mechanism was bent a good bit Lots of big hammer, crowbars, etc. I cut a log into 2x2 to check everything out. Straight smooth cuts, everything tracked nicely. This mill has a copy of my pineywoods hydraulics, some minor leaks and bent contols, probably not related to the collision..fixed all that..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Piney, I think you did a really great job!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!