iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

Osage orange ;D won't stick around long. It'd been dead 10 years but I think it was still worth it.

doc henderson

does it smell like bacon?!!!  looks good enough to eat.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2019, 08:42:23 PM
Barney, I am not sure what causes that pattern.  I have not come across that one yet.
Reminds me of this aspen I sawed years ago
She's got some fine figure! in Sawmills and Milling
And some of it was made into this.
Bragging on Brian. in General Board
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Jeff on September 11, 2019, 01:24:59 PMReminds me of this aspen I sawed years ago

Jeff, that is some really cool stuff! Win! 8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

thecfarm

Well,those threads about Brian kept me drooling busy for a while. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Got out and pulled a maple and a locust log that had fallen across my pasture fence to my log pile. Then I went up and cut an 8' log off a recently cut poplar. It was about 13" SED. The man who does my Lichtenburg burning/engraving gave me a couple of bamboo poles at the flea market last week. I use them to check my catfish lines and had lost my last one. When I tried to pay him he said just bring him a live edge poplar board about so wide and half inch thick for a project he has in mind. I don't normally leave my poplar live edge so had to go cut him one. I cut it through and through at 4/4 and cut the one half inch near but not in the pith. I left one 4/4 and the 2/4 live edge for him and edged out 5 more 1X10s, 2-1X8's, and a couple of 1X6's. Boy is green poplar a joy to saw.

Pretty little (Tulip) poplar log

LE pieces on the loading arms payment for my bamboo fishing push poles. We love to trade things here in WV. :D He's happy and I am too so was a very good trade.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

One of these days I hope to get one (or more) of these logs on my mill. I hear lots of goo things. Not sure what I would do with the wood, but it sounds like fun to mill.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

RAYAR

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 14, 2019, 08:34:46 PM
  Boy is green poplar a joy to saw.
It's also very wet and heavy when green.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

WV Sawmiller

Yes but proper stickering, air flow, weight on top and time will fix that. Poplar will certainly mildew if you you don't get enough air flow.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

The wide live edge has picked back up again last week.
Not like it was 2 years ago but 4 or 5 wide ones a week.
Was out of wide pine so I sawed up a 10 ' pine log and got some nice 20" to 30" wide 2" thick live edge
2 of the widest are sold

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Congrats but I am wondering what's going on with the ribbon blade pattern.  I realize that you are sawing wide, but feed rate too fast/slow, drive belt possibly not quite tight enough, wrong blade?   smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Two favorite things... Bacon.. and Osage.  Nice busenitzcww.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

MM
I have had that right from the beginning .
Turbo 7
I have been asking about it
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Barney67

Sawed up the remaining oak log with the crazy pattern this past weekend.

EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

WV Sawmiller

Barney,

I think that oak is sick, maybe measles or such, and needs to be in quarantine far away in some place like WV. I think I have a spot where it will be safe if you'd like to bring it up or just hold it for me. :D

I grew up in Century Fla and we used play you guys in Football an eternity ago. I still remember a couple of brothers, the McTeers, if I am right, who were tough to catch or stop. I think one was name Houston and I forget the other. I don't know if they have any grandkids playing for Baker today. Stay safe.
Howard Green

Jim_Rogers

Just yesterday, I finished a 30 red oak plank order for trailer decking.

Today, we moved some large diameter pine logs to the mill bunks.
Some idiot chopping going on with some of them.

I had to trim off many large branch numbs:

And certainly not the straightest one of the bunch.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

The next log has been sitting 10 months has nice beetle stain and aged color .

Barney67

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 17, 2019, 03:01:29 PM
Barney,

I think that oak is sick, maybe measles or such, and needs to be in quarantine far away in some place like WV. I think I have a spot where it will be safe if you'd like to bring it up or just hold it for me. :D

I grew up in Century Fla and we used play you guys in Football an eternity ago. I still remember a couple of brothers, the McTeers, if I am right, who were tough to catch or stop. I think one was name Houston and I forget the other. I don't know if they have any grandkids playing for Baker today. Stay safe.
I need to check with my son in law if he did any land clearing over a toxic waste dump last year.  smiley_skull

George and Houston McTear, went to school with their younger brother, I think most of them moved out of the area. Haven't followed much lately but Baker is on a 30+ regular season game win streak and they beat Northview 14-12 last Friday.
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

Magicman

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's sawing job.  66 mile road trip but the real deal is that the forecast is for 98°.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RAYAR

Quote from: Magicman on September 17, 2019, 01:15:17 PM
Congrats but I am wondering what's going on with the ribbon blade pattern.  I realize that you are sawing wide, but feed rate too fast/slow, drive belt possibly not quite tight enough, wrong blade?   smiley_headscratch
Other than blade tension, likely drive belt tension. The drive belt may be running smoothly while not cutting, but is it still running smoothly while cutting or is it flapping around while cutting? If the belt is flapping around while cutting, this is feeding back to the speed of the blade speeding up and slowing down at the rate the belt is flapping about causing a ripple effect on the surface being cut. The faster the feed rate, the more likely this is to happen. Watch that belt, if it's flapping about while cutting, it needs to be tightened up a bit, smooth running belt, smooth cutting.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Magicman

Hot today yes, but we still sawed.

18 White Oak, Red Oak, and SYP.

Oh Yes, there were a couple of Rock Oaks.

And I must not forget the Cow Pie Oak.

1226 bf of mostly 1X6's with a few 1X8's and 2X8".

And my ~300 lb tailgunner/customer's butt log was dragging.  OK mine too 'cause that 98° sunshine was brutal.  Back tomorrow.

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I feel for you. Was that 66 miles one way or round trip? Did you leave the mill set up or bring it home with you? Be careful and stay safe.
Howard Green

Southside

Along the lines of the old frying pan saying - Out of the sandbox into the gravel pit... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

MM you must help roll those logs from way back as the 98 degree day goes on?  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!