iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Well Danny, that explains why you haven't responded to my messages I sent you about a kiln.  Lol.  So far, I only have jointed wood, but I have biscuit joinered my finger.  That's not pretty either.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on May 26, 2019, 04:41:42 PMrefill it with shot and wrap in camo duct tape.  one of your neighbors will prob. offer you 10 bucks for it.  some times saving a few minutes turns into costing a few hours.  not sure when I can get up to see your place, but keep the coffee on just in case!  best regards.
I don't think it was worth 10 bucks when it was new and this one had one face pretty much worn off. I just grabbed it because it was perfect for tapping the log clamps in and out instead of my fist. Even without the shot it does that just fine. The camo tape idea is something I should think about that. I could outfit an entire shop with the stuff I find in dumpsters.
 I am always prepared to make fresh coffee when company shows up. I also have an unopened bottle of Johnny Walker Black in there for the same reason.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Quote from: WDH on May 26, 2019, 08:38:26 PM
Did something dumb this afternoon. Sitting in the ER now.  Been here a couple of hours.  It is better to joint wood rather than your finger.  It is not a pretty sight  :).  
you know, fingers need joints too! what no pics?  :D hope it turns out well.  will hurt long enough to make you more careful in the future... for a while!  biscuit or regular jointer.  in all seriousness, good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

@Old Greenhorn i would love to come visit, it is a way, so I promise not to show up unannounced!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

CabinCreations

WV,

I'm pretty sure I lived at the same apartment for a while - directly across from the Weirton Hospital? I work in Weirton but live in PA now. I travel near your current location quite often for meetings too.
2011 LT35HD

WDH

12" jointer with spiral cutterhead.  Unfortunately those carbide inserts cut more than wood.  Still in ER. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

WDH - sorry to hear about your planed finger my friend. I hope the docs were able to make repairs. Right hand or left? yikes_smiley 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

thecfarm

WDH,good luck to ya. Hope all will be well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skip

Happened at Beech Bottom loading roof decking, real spingy, . All that and most of Weirton steel all gone now .

doc henderson

Danny, that is a lot of knives coming at you.  Get feeling better.  When I was making knife scabbards and getting home at 1 am, I would try to do a little project before bed.  I ran my thumb right into the band saw blade.  talk about a composite, walnut maple blood and tissue healed up nice but did not win any awards.  

firefighter ontheside

I hope you're all patched up and on the mend this morning, Danny.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

RichTired

Danny,
   Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Richard
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Old Greenhorn

@WDH how did you make out at the ER? you gonna heal up OK? Hoping for the best, that's a nasty way to get hurt.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

tule peak timber

The best to your recovery. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope it wasn't your boiled peanut shucking and hushpuppy frying finger. My old roommate got his finger shot off in Viet Nam (M-79 too close to arm) and they put it back but stiff so said it could be straight or curved and he had it curved to fit a beer can.

Skip,

Beech botom was where they did the painting. Across the river at Yorkville they did the galvanizing and made 5 ridge tin and such. I understand they'd paint and re-coil the steel at BB. I never understood why that did not destroy the paint but I guess not.

CC,

Sounds pretty close if not the same. Holler at me if you are going to be down here very long.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I was in the ER for over 6 hours from 6:00 p.m. to after midnight.  It seems that I was not the only one that had issues :).  I would post a pic, but it is not for the faint of heart, and I know that many of you have delicate constitutions.  I am recovering at home (smoking ribs, at least they are not mine ::)).  Now to the Orthopedic Doctor after the Holiday.  This kind of thing always happens to me on a Holiday weekend. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Well, you're feeling well enough to smoke meat.  That's good.  I guess keep your hand elevated and maybe have a beverage to numb the senses.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WDH

I am managing to muddle through it.  Smoking meat is like air drying lumber.  Once you are set, you just sit back and watch, and a beverage helps with the watching. 

On my left hand, I am using a few different fingers to type, so a lot of back-spacing and correcting :) :).  I don't think that I am permanently maimed, just a little bit dis-figured on one digit if everything heals. 

Sitting and watching with a beverage is conducive to reflection on being DUMB, though.  It is not free. 

doc henderson

glad you are home and still will have a digit to type with.  It does slow a guy down.  which finger, and what happened?  kick back on the board?  My mentor Kenny Skeels lost his L pinky on a table saw, he tried to keep it and took months and never healed.  they took it off and the stub always caught on his jeans pocket.  He recently lost another, he is in his 80s and his wife wont let him play with big boy tools anymore. could be worse.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on May 27, 2019, 04:22:49 PMI would post a pic, but it is not for the faint of heart, and I know that many of you have delicate constitutions.

Are we on the same Forum? :)

Seriously, that is not fun and you are lucky that blade did not get a good hold and suck more of you in. Sounds like your philosophy and sense of humor and place are intact. That's a big deal. Rest up, take time and heal. Try not to beat yourself up every time you look at it for the next 6 months.
I have driven a LOT of guys to the hospital after incidents similar to yours and universally they all say the EXACT same thing: "Boy, that was stupid". And, just to be fair, I have uttered those very same words myself as I sat in the E/D. You are not alone.
At least folks won't have to start calling you 'Lefty'. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Heal well man.

WDH

The left pinkie.  It is a little bit shorter now.  Never knew that it was so important.  This big honking bandage gets in the way of everything.

Tom the Sawyer

Danny,

Ouch, that struck a chord.  
Don't fret, hope it heals up without too much throbbing.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Mossy Chariot

Danny,
Hate to hear when anyone has an accident that puts them at the ER. I kept thinking maybe it's not too serious since they're making him wait half the night. Worried this morning when we hadn't heard from you for a while. Glad to see your back on the forum. Heal fast!!!!!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

doc henderson

it is interesting.  just got home from a 7 to 7 shift.  we see 25,000 pt. a year so 68 average per day, on holidays it goes up.  We saw 55 pt. from 7am until 5:30 pm today.  prev. 24 hours they saw 90.  so number go up, but same staff usually.  Danny I am glad you  are ok.  hope now that the finger is shorter it will stay out of the way. :)  best regards.  Doc.

clww

Hope it heals up soon, Danny! I severed the last digit of my right hand pinkie finger about 10 years ago while splitting some big wood. Rolling a half of a big oak round off the splitter deck and caught it between that piece and a section of the trunk. Took it off like a pair of scissors. OUCH X3!! Awesome surgeon sewed it back on. Took a bunch of antibiotics for a few weeks and it's still there, even though I have generally no feeling in it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!