Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam Barron

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 28, 2019, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on August 28, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
Not nearly as ugly as some of the pictures on this thread
<
I dunno, looks like you got a pretty good run toward the bone before it stopped, but There doesn't seem to be a lot of bruising, so it should heal up ok. The photos aren't the game here, or I hope not. I waited over two days to take mine, mostly because it was the only way I could see it (I am not discussing this with my wife). I should have gotten one before I cleaned myself up. I do have one of the shirt because I am going to have to get a replacement next year and I might need proof. It doesn't look as bad as it could have.  ;D
I am very new and also that dreaded thing, female! I avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague. Standard comment to children, dont come running to me with a broken leg. Please smile.
They have managed a few other things...
General comment...unless you can see bone or pumping blood (arterial) I dont really bother. Head wounds, a bit different. bleed like (EDITED BY ADMIN)  If they dont I worry!
Swearing, cold water and honey, with a bit of clean old sheet works well. Not as furry as proper bandages!
Any way up. IF you still have a headache after 3 days, go to the docs. Broken fingers and toes work well when braced with ice cream sticks and tape. Electrical for preference.
And I might send you a picture of my latest patient. Broken legged 3mo hen. Bit of a limp, but 3 weeks ago could not walk!
Please laugh at me..used to it...want to ask some sensible questions.

SawyerTed

Tam, you are too funny! 😄 

We mostly laugh together here!  

Welcome!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tam Barron

Quote from: SawyerTed on August 31, 2019, 11:03:53 AM
Falling up stairs counts!  Heck falling counts!

Dropped a coiled saw blade and could not get away fast enough!  It was

like 158" of cat claws coming after me!
Ok!
Get that hairy leg up and in cool water, loads of salt. Like almost floating! It will hurt, but..
Assume not near femoral, (EDITED BY ADMIN)
You have tetanus injection?
Any sort of honey will work, proper un-past-your -eyes,  phonetic ( not messed about with is best) I cannot spell.
Leave the littlest bites uncovered. Wounds heal better uncovered.
You can to save your beauty..(lol very hairy legs)  when the scars start to form use a cold cream to soften scabs. NOT anything like the Q10 face cream stuff! Does Nivea or Ponds still exist in USA?
The Q10 stuff BURNS like fire!
I know, got impatient with a pressure cooker! No scars, but had blisters from mid forearm to mid shoulder both arms! Old fashioned Nivea, ran out..and put the Q10 stuff on instead...spent 10 minutes in the shower yelling!
Good luck..sorry old fashioned..
T

Tam Barron

Thanks,

Pretending to be a bit dumb is the mission of my life. 

Do not tell anyone I actually have a brain please :D

They would expect me to join in with "REAL LIFE".

Tam Barron

Quote from: Tam Barron on August 31, 2019, 11:24:38 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 28, 2019, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on August 28, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
Not nearly as ugly as some of the pictures on this thread
<
I dunno, looks like you got a pretty good run toward the bone before it stopped, but There doesn't seem to be a lot of bruising, so it should heal up ok. The photos aren't the game here, or I hope not. I waited over two days to take mine, mostly because it was the only way I could see it (I am not discussing this with my wife). I should have gotten one before I cleaned myself up. I do have one of the shirt because I am going to have to get a replacement next year and I might need proof. It doesn't look as bad as it could have.  ;D
I am very new and also that dreaded thing, female! I avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague. Standard comment to children, dont come running to me with a broken leg. Please smile.
They have managed a few other things...
General comment...unless you can see bone or pumping blood (arterial) I dont really bother. Head wounds, a bit different. bleed like hell (moderators, I AM English!). If they dont I worry!
Swearing, cold water and honey, with a bit of clean old sheet works well. Not as furry as proper bandages!
Any way up. IF you still have a headache after 3 days, go to the docs. Broken fingers and toes work well when braced with ice cream sticks and tape. Electrical for preference.
And I might send you a picture of my latest patient. Broken legged 3mo hen. Bit of a limp, but 3 weeks ago could not walk!
Please laugh at me..used to it...want to ask some sensible questions.

Quote from: SawyerTed on August 31, 2019, 11:38:46 AM
Tam, you are too funny! 😄

We mostly laugh together here!  

Welcome!

Thanks a lot.. You BUGGER! If you offer me tartan paint, sky hooks and a long weight. I will take it under advisement!

You made me feel young again. Ta.

Tam Barron

Quote from: doc henderson on August 31, 2019, 11:01:45 AM
welcome Tam, that will work... and does your honey have a name?   :D.  some folks tend to post on this thread more than others!
Thanks for the welcome in!
Really appreciated.. made my laugh out loud, when i realised i had been spouffed!
Has not happened since I was about 19.. 

Last time it happened..I was laying a cement floor, needed ballast for the floor, hardcore in in uk speak. they got me to walk into a all male hut (girlie calenders etc) and ask for a ton of hardcore the size of my fist!

AND No my LUUVERS ( Devonian for friends) I am not actually that gullible, but thanks for the laugh!

Andries

Welcome Tam - a great start to a new member. 
I saw on your 'reason to join' that you're curious about how people in the USA 'do things'. 
I believe that if you're using a lot of white oak to stay warm in Bulgaria, that the Canadians also have a lot to offer.  ;D
While the Americans are sweating through another sweltering summer - the Canadians are stocking in another 10 cords of firewood because there's a "nip in the air".
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Tam Barron

Well, usually here it is up to 26-28deg in summer. July to Sept. Sudden and I do mean sudden, two or three day can go from 26deg to 10deg C. Daytime temps..

It can be minus 25c here for about a couple of weeks. warms up and drops again. minus 25c is sort of normal!

For about 3 to 4 months..ish!

So we do wood collection.

OH Deity. American males...LOL

Any wood produced near me should be either building material or will be burnt!

I can get my stove up to pig skull burning heat!

Laugh, direct me to the jokers who do building!

T

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Tam -

Welcome to the Forum.  Would love to hear more about your part of the world, what folks do, grow, etc.  We love photos here too!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

I have to make a full confession, I had forgotten about this (maybe because of the concussion in my previous dumb move, but 3 days before that when I was working on festival setup and running around doing all sorts of things, I had hung my chaps on the tailgate of the truck to dry. Two hours later I had to run home to get some more power cables. I forgot about the chaps and drove the 5 miles home at about 40 MPH and when I got out of the truck, saw this. Man was I lucky I didn't lose them. That was the dumbest thing I have done in a very long time, until that other thing 3 days later. :D :D :D

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

2 things not to do. Put stuff on tailgate,tail gate down. Put stuff in loader on tractor. All stuff you think, I will not forget I put them there. :D 
Should we start a thread on this? :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

I did that one time with my camera, a very nice dslr. I set it on the roof of my car. Realized I left something somewhere. jumped in car angry and took off. came back home to a pile of camera all over the road. That was a very expensive lesson to learn.

Now nothing ever gets put on top of the car or any of the places listed above :)

btulloh

Putting stuff in the loader bucket probably deserves it's own topic.  ;D  

Not that I ever did that and then forgot.  :D :D
HM126

Southside

Guys used to toss a big logging chain in the loader bucket, then one day someone scooped up a bucket of shavings and dumped them into the hopper. Well that chain made its way through 4 bed augers and managed to wrap itself around an elevated 14" auger before breakers started to trip out. After that it was a fireable offense to put anything metal into the bucket. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I set one of my kids car seats on the cover of my truck bed and forgot about it.  I remembered it when I saw something move in my rear view mirror.  The seat did not fair too well when it hit the highway.  Luckily there was no kid in it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

did something similar but my 2 y/o son was in it!!!  it was in the back seat of my king cab.  as I approached a stoplight i could see in the mirror it was leaning forward let off the brake to let it fall back, but 2 lanes of stopped cars in front forced me to cont. stopping. face down on the floor board he went.  we had 2 kids and four car seats but occ. moved them around for grandparents to take kids.  this one was not reinstalled correctly.  he is a first year college student now so doing ok, but he was scared and mad.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Apparently I am not alone. Who'd have thought? ;D :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Re Items left on the top of vehicles -My wife bought our young son a hamster from K-Mart in Jacksonville NC 30 years or so ago. It died a day or so later but had a 7 day live guarantee so she called the pet dept and they said no rush just bring it the next time she came to town so she put it in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Several days later she was going to town so she took out the dead frozen hamster and went to the car and realized she had left her purse. She put the hamster on top of the car and went back and got her purse, jumped in the car, took off forgetting about the hamster. She drove a mile then remembered the hamster got out and checked but it had blown off. She turned around and drove slowly checking the road between there and home. There was very little traffic that time of day but at least one vehicle had rolled over the hamster so now she had a dead, flat, frozen hamster. She took it to the pet department and showed it to the clerk and said "My hamster died." The guy looked at it and asked "My God, Lady, what did you do to it?" She explained and he decided the tale was to bizarre to be false and gave her another hamster.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Oh you are so not  alone...
 1 eletro cautery unit in a little in a little white plastic tote does not ride for 39 miles on the top of a vet box oh and they are free(not!).  I did the chain in the loader bucket the other day too,  have a chain hook in the center of the bucket. I had moved a log to the mill the night before, bucket had a six foot tail when  I dumped out the scoop of  sand. .

Crusarius

I have learned if I use chains in the bucket to always drape them over and hook them to my hook. Otherwise I start yelling at everyone for not putting them back. Unfortunately that everyone is almost always me :)

Here is what my bucket hooks look like. This is why I am able to just hang them over the bucket and hook them.

Old Greenhorn

That's a pretty neat idea! Have you ever had a chain slip out? Hanging over the front takes some load off the hook I would think and makes the chains visible to the operator. Hope I get a chance to try that some day.

Crusarius

yes, I have had chains fall out. But only when I had it hanging on the back (not over the bucket) to try to get the extra lift capacity having the load closer to the pin. When I lift from the rear I need to roll the bucket forward to hold the chains in. When I dropped the chain I had a bucket full of chainsaws and other stuff so I was not able to curl the bucket forward as far as I wanted. It wasn't a big deal. I got off the tractor, hooked it up again, hanging the tail over the front of the bucket then lifted. 

I have thought about bending the angle up just slightly so it can't fall off. but I am not sure my break is up to the task. Overall though I love those hooks. They have been the best thing I have done to my tractor. I even made a matching set for the rear quick hitch.

With the choker chains I got at Boonville they are a perfect combination with the hooks.

Here is a pic of the rear hooks.

Old Greenhorn

@Crusarius have you considered welding a small piece of round drop off as a retainer? Here is a crude sketch to explain my thought poissibly using 3/8 or 1/2 round stock.

This might provide just enough to keep it in the slot when it gets a little marginal. The ones on your hitch probably don't need it because the load ia always down, right? but on the bucket, it changes.
 Anyway, just a thought.

Crusarius

I have thought about that. also thought about just welding a bead along there. it does not take much to hold them in place. a bead would be sufficient. But since they are already all nice and painted and mounted to the bucket for the few times I have had issues it does not matter to me. Ideally if I could put that in the break and angle it up a couple degrees it would be perfect. welding that stock on there is alot more work than I am willing to invest in them.

If they were 3/8" stock I would just mill a slot for the links to fit horizontally. That would fix that issue but I am only using 1/4" stock.

Thank You Sponsors!