iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Running over a saw in not a good thing.
I made this for my saw. 
There's a few threads on this, but I like the saw where I can see it when I get on the tractor. Been a few times I went to take off and stopped, no chainsaw!!!! I got off and put the chainsaw where it belonged. Made it all out of wood, plywood.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trimguy

Yesterday I was taking a 2' x4' fluorescent light down off the trusses in my shop so I could put up more plywood ceiling. I was on at 8 foot step ladder I started to lose my balance and let go of the light. In the process it came down and hit my thumb And gave me a pretty bad cut and started bleeding all over. Went to the house to wash it out and bandage it up and my wife and daughter were in the kitchen. Both of them very adamant that I go get stitches. I could not talk them out of it. So to keep the peace I went. So, after being in the waiting room for over two hours I walked up to the desk and ask where am I on the list. They said " there is 11 people in front of you ". I said " I'm out ". I am not a hospital person. So my wife and daughter are not happy with me. By now they ought to know . Someone said something about old guys and ladders.

alanh

I can`t tell you how many times I`ve been told "you better go get that stitched" and I didn`t. sometimes hospitals can do more harm than good. I would be sitting there wondering how long before someone passes on covid.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

APope

I keep a suture kit available in my first aid. I will clean out a cut and stitch myself up if possible. I see no need to wait and pay someone for what I can do myself.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

firefighter ontheside

I'm inclined to get stitches if my hand is involved.  As inconvenient as it is, it makes the total healing time go quicker.  Covid might influence my decision right now though.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

The last time I had surgery they used super glue to close the incision.
Would that work on fingers?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

They tend not to use glue on areas that stretch due to movement, such as knuckles, knees, etc.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

trimguy

I just cleaned it and applied Neosporin and bandaged it up. It's not the first time. Super works also. It wasn't a problem to me , it was more of a battle that I didn't want to fight at the time. 

doc henderson

I have stitched myself and a few others up out in the shop. a friends mother at our kitchen table, and taught her daughter to do it as she was in NP school.  lots of steri-strips (butterfly) with skin prep (tincture of Benzoin).  glue is great on flat surfaces that you can get together.  pops open over the backside of a knuckle as mentioned.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Steri-strips have saved me a few stitches and trips to the emergency clinic.  I find that super glue to hold the steri-strip ends in place is better than super gluing a laceration together.  I've done both.  The last time the steri-strips super glued in place stayed about 7 or 8 days.  When I re-dressed the cut, I used steri-strips alone for 4 or 5 more days.  As with any laceration, cleaning the wound prior to applying steri-strips is essential.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

My turn (again).
So I am mixing up some epoxy getting ready to make a small pour and as you know, the mixing time can get really boring. So I am stirring with my right hand and decide to have a cigarette to pass the time and reach into my shirt pocket and get one out with my left hand then fumble around in there for my bic lighter. Well, I fumbled with it and dropped it. Did I mention I was upstairs in the loft work area? Well anyway it bounced off the end of the loft and down to the shop floor. So I gave a couple more stirs then ran downstairs to fetch it and get back before I missed too much mixing time. I glanced at the woodstove in the unlikely event that the lighter landed there, then looked all around on the floor, under the stove and wood carts and began widening my search when I figured out where it was because ....
Well, do you folks have any idea the kind of noise a Bic lighter can make when it sits on a working wood stove? Holy cow that was loud. I saw traces of pieces flying in at least 3 directions, but it was pretty blurry.
I went back upstairs and finished the mixing and the pour. Then came back but after 20 minutes of searching only found 2 little yellow shards of the lighter. No idea where it went. Apparently it bounced behind the chimney on the top of the stove and just laid there until the inevitable happened. Or so I am guessing based on the little white shadow on the stove top that wasn't there before.
I just got that lighter yesterday. Dang.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Whoa, that could have been a lighter of things other than cigarettes.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Yes, it was 'very enthusiastic'.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

SawyerTed

Sort of like shooting a raccoon with a .270 inside a tobacco barn!  I'll never do that again!   I carry a .22 pistol for that sort of thing, now.

Glad the lighter explosion wasn't worse!  My luck, it would have started a fire!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

:D I bet your ears were ringing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

WHAT!?
 Yeah, for a little bit. :D

nativewolf

Someone trying to get you to stop smoking :D
Liking Walnut

doc henderson

we had a scout lay a lighter on top of the wood stove in our mess tent.  no harm to anyone, but no one in the tent will do that again.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on January 04, 2021, 07:53:36 PM
we had a scout lay a lighter on top of the wood stove in our mess tent.  no harm to anyone, but no one in the tent will do that again.
Yes, I too shall avoid repeating the experience. Its kind of like a flash-bang without much flash.

firefighter ontheside

Several years ago I was working on the water heater for my camper.  It wasn't heating the water, so I did some electrical checking and then turned it on again to see if it started working.  When it's working I can hear gurgling on the outside panel.  Well, I had the panel off and put my ear right down by the thing to see if I could hear it.  Well, right then the dang heating element blew up and a part of it hit my face.  I felt like someone had fired a gun right by my face.  After running away and feeling my face for blood, I realized I was gonna be fine, but I did have tinnitus for a few days.  Don't do that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Resonator

Reminds me of the time I needed to use my oxy-acetylene torch, and couldn't find the flint striker. Tried using the electric push button igniter off a hand held propane torch instead. Definitely won't do that again.  :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Silverfoxfintry

A few years ago a safety bulletin did the rounds in the Oil Rigs in the North Sea.
Apparently Two men had been injured by exploding plastic gas lighters.
One lost his leg and the other was disembowelled.
Both were welding and had lighters in their pockets. The report mentioned that a plastic lighter had the same energy potential as 2oz of Gelignite. 
Apparently a spark from the welding melted the casing and ignited the compressed Gas.
So be careful with plastic lighters.

Take care.

Silverfox.

Old Greenhorn

Back in the early 70's I worked in a shop that had about 4 welders as part of the crew. The foreman read about a welder who had a plastic lighter in his shirt pocket. Some slag hit it and it blew a hole in his chest.
That day he went out to the shop and confiscated every plastic lighter and replaced them with a zippo, a can of fluid, and a pack of flints. Every new welder hired was given the same treatment after that. Using a plastic lighter was a suspension offense and the second time you were fired.
Yes, they can be dangerous. I got my reminder. Still haven't found the remains beyond two shards.

Thank You Sponsors!