iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Walnut Beast on May 23, 2021, 07:02:41 AM
When I get a tick or several I put them in a small piece of tin foil that traps them then hold the side of tinfoil and put lighter under and pop and in trash
I just burn them no tinfoil. They will start sizzling then they will pop or explode. It's crazy how fast they can move once you put a flame to one 
A1

Walnut Beast

😂😂 I like to keep things clean 

HemlockKing

Quote from: Walnut Beast on May 23, 2021, 07:36:40 AM
😂😂 I like to keep things clean
Usually this happens in my truck after working in the woods. It's already filled with wood chips sawdust mud anyway  ;D
A1

offrink

Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2021, 08:36:46 AM
Several years back I had to open the bombay doors under the skidder for something that wasn't right.  Fixed whatever it was, closed the doors up and proceeded to climb back into the cab when I realized my clothes were crawling, all of them.  Seems I had laid in a seed tick nest the whole time and they were not coming off.  So I stripped to nothing, threw the clothes in a pile away from the nest and hosed them with deet.  Knew I had a change back in the truck so I jumped back into the cab and headed for the truck, with nothing but my birthday suit on, and a cracked, vinyl skidder seat.  

Made it about half way across the opening to the truck and as luck would have it, there was someone parked by my truck waiting to talk to me.  Dropped the skid of logs right there in the path, and turned around for the woods - I am sure they were scratching their head wondering what I was doing but I was not getting any closer to whoever that was until my status changed.  Waited a while and made a return trip eventually.  
Never hose down your neither regions with deer spray and put clothes on top. It gets a little warm down there. Learned the hard way fishing in a deep cold stream in waders. 

dougtrr2

Quote from: Magicman on May 22, 2021, 09:36:25 PM
I have had my britches legs covered almost black with seed ticks.  We would break off a Cedar or Pine branch and flail them off while dancing a jig.  The jig didn't do any good.....but it helped.
I would like to see a video of that! ;D 8)
Doug in SW IA

Resonator

dancing-jack
Itchy Tick jig?
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Ljohnsaw

Well, at least no one got hurt.  I picked up this Roust-a-bout 1,500 lb lift from an auction site for 10cent on the dollar.

Came with the caster wheels but no base.  Since the base would cost $1,200 to buy, I made this one. (upside down for painting)

I had some Rustoleum yellow paint and did a first coat on both the wheel base and this trailer draw bar (that was previously all rust). 

It was a darker yellow that didn't match the lift and I used it all up.  So, off to HD to get another can.  They have 4 shelves of Rustoleum quarts.  My old yellow with a lighter yellow that matches the lift on the shelf above - so I got that.  Noticed it was a little thicker but that should cover better.  Got all done and put a little thinner in a can to wash out the brush.  Hmmm, wouldn't wash the paint out - that's weird.  Must be some new fangeled formula.  Looked at the can - Latex - DOOOH!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

I'm sure no one else has ever done this.  I fired up the mill to mill some cedar.  After I was cutting for a while it occurred to me that the engine wasn't running real well.  I kept going knowing that it wasn't anything serious.  I shut down the motor while I was turning the log to finish up the log.  When I went to start the motor back up I realized that it had been on full choke the whole time I was cutting.  Needless to say it ran much better after that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 23, 2021, 02:41:34 PM
I'm sure no one else has ever done this.  I fired up the mill to mill some cedar.  After I was cutting for a while it occurred to me that the engine wasn't running real well.  I kept going knowing that it wasn't anything serious.  I shut down the motor while I was turning the log to finish up the log.  When I went to start the motor back up I realized that it had been on full choke the whole time I was cutting.  Needless to say it ran much better after that.
Nope never done that while milling cedar. Never even milled cedar (yet). It is 'possible' that I have done it while milling RO, WO, Ash, and Maple, but I can't really recall. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

:) I can't Imagine how that happens......

moosehunter

Drove about 40 minutes Saturday and finished a 7,700 bdft angry ash job. Sawed about 9 hours the moved my saw about 8 miles for Sunday. Drove to Sundays job and was setting up the saw,.... Wait for it,.... The KEYS for the sawmill are on my kitchen counter smiley_furious Doh!move_it40 minutes back home to get them. 40 minutes back to saw. I have a place in my truck for the keys but in my tired state forgot to leave them in the truck. But we did finish that angry ash job. 10,500 bdft. I have been back and forth between the two jobs for a number of weekends. Glad to have them done.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

If I did that, I would go to the hardware store and have about 10 keys cut. They would be stashed all over creation. One of them would be in a very well hidden place on the sawmill. Run a screw through the keyhole and screw it up underneath or something. That way if it is found they have to work to get it off.

sawguy21

I remember my bil doing that. He got the boat in the water and realized the keys were on the kitchen counter. He drove two hours each way so he wouldn't have to take the dash apart and hot wire it. Very unhappy with himself.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Sometime last year my son who likes to play with things he shouldn't took the keys out of my mill and lost them.  I looked and looked, but couldnt find them.  Then it occurred to me that my lawnmower has a Kohler engine.  The keys from my mower worked just fine in my mill.  A few days later I found my keys on the ground.  Dad left his boat keys at home many years ago.  He just went into the nearest Mercury dealer I think it was and they were able to match up some keys.  Apparently theres only a handful of cuts for that motor.  Luckily none of his compartments were locked.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I make a dozen or so plaques this time of year for graduation.  I made one for a scribe names Savanna who finished nursing school and will be moving to OK.  but it is spelled Savannah!  so half the staff had signed the back so I planed off the front engraving after putting masking tape on the back as to not damage the notes and signatures.  I sanded and re did the 1/8th in radius.  and put it in the engraver with the best side at the top for her name.  but that was the opposite as I did it before, so now the best wishes from the hospital and all the notes and signatures are upside down on the back.  I already sprayed 3 coats of finish and it was perfect, so I decide it did not matter if you flipped it over you could turn it and read the names.  after I slept on it, back through the planer it went, and I am finishing up the re re-engraving, and will get finish on today.  take it to work for more signatures and her last day is the 28th.  can you say OCD! :) OMG!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moosehunter

Doc, that sounds like me on a project. I just tell folks that the first three tries were "practice"!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Nebraska

You got to be happy with your work.

So I just saw this a few minutes  ago..
I was just holding a calf in a stock  trailer and one of my technicians  was running IV fluids to it. The Fed Ex ground truck comes whipping in, he opens up the back doors  of the van and grabs the packages for our stop.  He trots back outside  and hops in his van and starts backing up. The calfs owner looks down at me and says, "I  wonder if he realizes his back is still open ?" 🤔  We thought maybe he was backing  up as to not block the door  and sort some parcels. Nope, he keeps  on going into the street then puts his van in drive. The rear doors swing open  and the farmer trots towards him waving his arms and hollering just as packages start to fall out. Fed Ex guy notices and gets stopped.  I think if he hadn't seem Glenn hollering  and waving he would have strung  more  packages down the street.
My tech looks up at me and says "hmm he must be having a Monday too."

Old Greenhorn

OK, I'll fess up. Yesterday I was running around with my buddy at his place cutting and chipping. We never shut the chipper down between locations as we were just putting along, we just dropped it to idle and the feed would drop out. We finished in one spot and my friend threw his 372 on the shelf in the chip chute. I said "are you sure you want to leave that there?" he says "sure, I do it all the time, we are just putting along'. So I shrug my shoulders because it's his gear after all. SO we bump over a rock pulling out of that spot and as I am standing/riding on the running board (no room in the cab with all his junk) I hang out to see if the saw is in the road behind it.....it is not, so I figure we are good, well we put put all the way over to the other end of his 80 acres and I step off and go to grab the saw before I throttle up the chipper....and there is no saw. So I figure we dropped it coming up that last little hill and tell him I am walking back for it, he says, 'probably the hill before that, and he drives the truck around, well he eventually caught and passed me without the saw in sight, so I let him go. He must have went nearly back to where we started because I could no longer even hear the truck, eventually he came back with it, he mumbled that it 'jumped out way back there'. Funny, it never fell out before.
 I knew better, but it IS his gear. AT least it didn't bounce up into the feed rollers. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

sawguy21

That is what I waiting for. ;D

Tom the Sawyer

A long, long time ago, on one of my first mobile appointments, I left home with the mill key hanging in the barn.  I was debating about calling my wife when the client said he had a lot of equipment with small engines and he ended up with a key that started my Kohler.  Ordered two spares when I got home and haven't needed either one in 8 or 9 years.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

sawguy21

I had to move a large farm tractor worth close to a quarter mil while on a service call but no key. I looked at the switch, it was the same as the one on a thousand dollar lawn tractor and I had one on my ring. ::) Blew my helpers mind.

terrifictimbersllc

Once I went about 120 miles with my Peterson 2 day job left it set up overnight so took out the key.
Spent a lot of time looking for it that night and next morning no luck.
Finally at job site again just started it with a small screwdriver for the key.  Kohler CH750 30HP.  
I used it years after that with no key and also sold it that way.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I have 2 keys stashed in my hydraulic box, if I forget the key at home, all I need to get one is the 9/16" wrench from the tool box which is always in the truck.
Of course, a crescent wrench or a pair of pliers would work in a pinch!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Wudman

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 25, 2021, 12:23:58 AM
I had to move a large farm tractor worth close to a quarter mil while on a service call but no key. I looked at the switch, it was the same as the one on a thousand dollar lawn tractor and I had one on my ring. ::) Blew my helpers mind.
I pulled up on a logging job years ago and there was a '72 Nova sitting out by the highway.  I drove on in to the job.  I was in a '95 Chevy S-10 at the time.  As I was getting ready to leave, the loader operator flagged me down.  He had locked his keys in the car out by the highway.  He said you are driving a Chevy......see if you can unlock my car.  I thought to myself "Yeah Right".  Just for kicks, I stopped at his car.  I stuck my key in his locked door...it went in smoothly.  I turned it and unlocked his door.  Here are two vehicles 23 years apart that are keyed alike.    ;D ;D

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

sawguy21

I did that with my buddies 64 Impala, I had a 65 Olds. They weren't keyed alike but the keys and locks were worn, he wasn't amused.

Thank You Sponsors!