iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

@Magicman are you in the market for 2 new saws?  The good news about the mower is that the zero turn can still steer with the front off the ground.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Quote from: WDH on October 10, 2021, 10:14:12 AM
Doc Henderson,

You ain't alone, brother  :).  Mine was a tad bit worse than yours, but I ain't bragging'.  My accelerant was not sawdust.  

WOW!  I hope this is a historical pic, and nothing recent.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

A1

SawyerTed

Quote from: WDH on October 10, 2021, 10:14:12 AM
Doc Henderson,

You ain't alone, brother  :).  Mine was a tad bit worse than yours, but I ain't bragging'.  My accelerant was not sawdust.  

WDH I do hope this isn't today!  I'll count a scratched and dented truck as an inconvenience......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 10, 2021, 11:09:13 AM@Magicman are you in the market for 2 new saws?
I definitely qualify for the "scratch/dent category and I now fully realize the value of chainsaw carrying cases.  The MS028 AV is OK (no damage) and the irreplaceable carrying case is hopefully fixable.  The MS310's carrying case is totally destroyed.  The saw's handle/throttle is really messed up but thankfully all of the saw itself is undamaged.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JDowns71

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 09, 2021, 07:47:21 PM
Fine sawdust is so much fun around a campfire.  I may have done that on purpose before.  In the days before we firefighters were all married with children we would go camping with just the guys.  It was called sausage fest.  I'm not explaining that.  We did what was called, "fun with white gas".  I think you can imagine white gas being thrown into a fire.

Sorry bout the truck Ted.  That will make a guy sick.
As kids we use to sneak into each other's houses and pack flour on the fan blades in our friends rooms.   That was until we learned that the dust could combust.  Fortunately we learned the easy way from a friends dad and quickly stopped that prank.

sawguy21

:D I never cease to be amazed at the stuff kids think up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kelLOGg

I was loading my truck with stuff from my saw shed in preparation for a concrete pour. I backed the truck into the barn shed to unload it and put a ladder on it to take back to the saw shed. I pulled out of the barn shed about 10 feet and ... oops ... I forgot the ladder so I backed back in and hit a post supporting the shed. I am astounded at the damage to the truck and the lack thereof to the post. See pics. I wish they made trucks like I made the barn. I've backed in thousands of times because that's where I park the truck. Dang!!!

br>

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SawyerTed

Trucks are like tin foil anymore - very expensive tin foil. I'll suggest the post probably moved.  Yep it moved before you hit it.  :D  No other way to explain it.  Just like the firewood bin.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

The back corner of my pickup looks just like that, we won't get into why. ::) 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kelLOGg

It's a 26 year old truck. It outta be better than that. I gotta get it repaired enough to hold a taillight cover. Now I have a project I don't need.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Resonator

Replacement lenses aren't too expensive, as I remember on my '98 a couple torx screws and pins are all that hold the tailight in place.  
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Gere Flewelling

If you had a 20 year old pickup in NH you would have had a pile of rust on the ground as well as a damaged left rear.  More than likely you would have to replace part of the replacement flatbed body.  That would likely have caused more damage to the post than the body.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

GAB

Quote from: kelLOGg on October 10, 2021, 03:50:34 PM
I was loading my truck with stuff from my saw shed in preparation for a concrete pour. I backed the truck into the barn shed to unload it and put a ladder on it to take back to the saw shed. I pulled out of the barn shed about 10 feet and ... oops ... I forgot the ladder so I backed back in and hit a post supporting the shed. I am astounded at the damage to the truck and the lack thereof to the post. See pics. I wish they made trucks like I made the barn. I've backed in thousands of times because that's where I park the truck. Dang!!!

br>

Mr. kelLOGg Sir:
Congratulations on your three fer.
Now you have your own totem pole as a future reminder.
You were involved, so you do not need anyone to explain to you what occurred.
You got it done in a relative short period of time with out spilling any of your hydraulic fluid (blood).
Congratulations on your efficiency.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

kelLOGg

Thanks, GAB. It's nice that my skills are recognized.  :D

I called my garage. They don't do body work but made a referral. Called them and they said it was too old. A 1995 model is more like a classic car and hard to get parts they said. So, I take my "log" truck to a classic car restoration garage and put it line with 1943 Studebakers and old Lamborghinis? I don't think so.

So I am "repairing" it myself enough to allow a replacement tail light cover to fit so the signals are red.
Hammers, crowbars, pliers make for pretty crude body repair but that's the way it will be.

Crusarius

Kellog, I had a buddy that had a dakota that turned into a pretty serious rock crawler. He quickly crushed the back end so none of the lights would fit. he was able to use the stock sockets and just put colored LED bulbs in to replace the other bulbs. He passed many NYS inspections like that. That may be an option depending on how you care about the looks.

something similar to this led tail light direct replacement

kelLOGg

That's a good suggestion, Crusarius, but I "fixed" it using an old tail light cover. It's the most significant damage to my 26 yo truck but I just couldn't make a long expensive project out of it by trying to find a B grade body shop and waiting...
It was tough steel to bend back (what little I could actually move). I've carried lots of firewood over the years and the truck got very few minor dents....until it met the barn.

HemlockKing

I can't even tell there was a dent now! lol 
A1

Tom King

My plastic fenders are seeming like a good idea now.  See my post towards the bottom of page 97 in this thread.

I think it could mostly be pulled back out into shape with a slide hammer bodywork puller.  I have one that I've used for a number of other uses, but no experience with it on metal body work.

Crusarius

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2021, 02:57:57 PMThe MS310's carrying case is totally destroyed. The saw's handle/throttle is really messed up but thankfully all of the saw itself is undamaged.
OK, it appears that the MS310 is not too badly damaged.  It needs a new throttle trigger and air filter cover, both of which are in stock at the warehouse.  These are normally less than a week items but he said to expect at least two weeks.  Oh and he is also ordering me a new carrying case which is a no brainier because the old case is what protected/saved the saw and prevented catastrophic damage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I have learned the hard way to many times to not put anything in the bucket that I cannot see. There have been to many times I was transporting something then I said oh I am going to push that brush out of the way real quick since I am driving by. next thing you know, real quick turns into 10 minutes of picking up everything you just dumped.

btulloh

It's amazing how quick the mind switches from "I have a saw in the bucket" to "I'll just take care of this brush since I'm right here".  

Or so I've heard.  :D
HM126

Southside

After the second time we had to dig a chain out of a flight auger I told everyone that if I saw anything in the loader bucket that didn't belong there they would be fired on the spot and I meant it.  I had been guilty of it myself, but it's just too easy to forget things are in there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

The accidental dumping was part of the reason I made these. I kept dumping my chains. I also added some to the quick hitch on the 3 point. Great way to store chains. and work phenomenal for lifting.

Thank You Sponsors!