iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 05, 2021, 11:03:05 PM
I bid on a lot of online auctions.  Sometimes I buy stuff that I can use and sometimes stuff that I will buy and re-sell.  Tonight I forgot to bid on an auction I had placed initial bids on with the intent to come back as it was ending to bid on the things I wanted.  This was all going to be stuff for me.  There was a bunch of good woodworking stuff I wanted and some tents and other outdoor stuff I also wanted.  I completely forgot to go back to the auction site tonight.  I missed out on all the stuff.  Well, I did win one thing I had bid on.  I won a 5 gallon bucket and a trash can with some whisk brooms in it for $2.  Not worth the drive to go pick it up, but since my wife drives thru there every day, she will pick it up for me.  Still, I am kicking myself for forgetting.  Many of the things I wanted went for just over what I was bidding.

I do this all the time! I forget more than I remember and end up losing out on some good stuff.  There's a local auction site I use that allows push notifications and sends a reminder 30 mins before the first item starts closing.  Handy, but they rarely have the type of things I'm looking for.
HM126

firefighter ontheside

I didn't forget about the auction this time.  I picked up my purchases today.  My most notable purchases were a 33 gallon stand up Husky compressor for $75, a brand new in box Krek K4 pocket hole jig for $35 and a new looking 28' extrension ladder for $35.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

VB-Milling

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 18, 2021, 07:51:50 PM
I didn't forget about the auction this time.  I picked up my purchases today.  My most notable purchases were a 33 gallon stand up Husky compressor for $75, a brand new in box Krek K4 pocket hole jig for $35 and a new looking 28' extrension ladder for $35.  
I'm sure you were laughing all the way to the truck.... 8)
HM126

Nebraska

Nice score on the ladder!
Ok probably all three.

terrifictimbersllc

Last week got up before dawn in the new camper, turned on one little light over the dinette and started the coffee pot on the gas stove top.  

Next I see the gas flame behaving funny then going out.  Relit it seemed to work ok but was worrying if something already defective.  

Then after the pot heated a while and my eyes got adjusted I saw OOPS the glass cover on the stove top was still down, between the gas flame and the coffee pot.   Supposed to put it up first.  Dealer told us not to put it down when the cooktop was hot or IT WILL BREAK

Frantically turned off the gas and removed the pot and hoped for the best.  Seemed like I got away with it and we went for a walk.

Came back into the camper afterwards wondering about what some crud was on the floor should we be more careful with shoes.

Well it was glass from back half the stove top cover which exploded while we were gone walking.  Fortunately the cat was ok since he had already tunnelled deep under the covers for his morning nap.

Got a new stovetop online but pretty clear probably better to just buy a whole new stove for parts if planning to do more things the dumb way.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sawguy21

At least nobody got hurt although it certainly would have got the cat's attention. I haven't to the best of my knowledge done anything dumb lately but my turn is coming and I am nervous. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

Might not be you who is the dumb one this time!  I have to wonder what the designer was thinking using glass.  I know the cover protects the stove top and adds counter space when the stove isn't in use but they should have used glass that can take the heat just in case.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Nebraska on October 19, 2021, 07:19:24 AM
Nice score on the ladder!
Ok probably all three.
Well, I'm gonna sell the ladder.  One of my goals is to be able to re-sell some of the stuff I buy to pay for the stuff I actually wanted to keep.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

That does seem strange to have glass like that.  I would be the first one to turn on the stove without lifting the glass.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Silverfoxfintry

The stove should have a safety valve actuated when the lid is opened.
We had a problem with ours sticking and not allowing gas to flow to the burners.
Had to remove the stove to fix it!

Take care

Silverfox 

Tacotodd

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 19, 2021, 09:04:23 PM
That does seem strange to have glass like that.  I would be the first one to turn on the stove without lifting the glass.
I wonder if Pyrex would have been OK. It's microwave safe and for some things you put it...it gets HOT. Like I say, just wondering.
Trying harder everyday.

Crusarius

the problem with the glass plates and the burner is the hot spots. Glass can typically handle heat without a problem. but when you heat one area you get that area expanding while the rest does not. Since glass has very little elasticity the glass cracks.

terrifictimbersllc

I think the issue is that this glass stove cover is and probably has to be safety glass.I know from many years of breaking Pyrex or Kimax beakers and flasks, that those are not safety glass. Sharp shards everywhere. And nothing left of my laboratory deposit. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on October 19, 2021, 09:04:23 PM
That does seem strange to have glass like that.  I would be the first one to turn on the stove without lifting the glass.
I'll tell my wife. You'll be the first to be invited in our camper at the next pig roast-for a closely supervised tour.  :D :D

Crossroads

Yesterday on my way to my mobile job, I call WM to ask some questions about my axle that may be bent. The rep asked if my axle was 5 or 6 lug and to verify it w5 lug I pulled off the road and went back to look. As I was walking back to the truck, something caught my eye. It was a milk crate with my saw gas and bar oil jugs setting on the hydraulic control box of the mill. It had been riding there for about 15 miles already 🙈. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

Well, you got lucky and prevented something dumb from happening.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

Usually the dumb stuff I do are really a series of smaller dumb things that "synergize" into something greater than the sum of the parts. 

Glad you caught the crate before it synergized! :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

I have a full size battery on my log splitter, and a full size one on my conveyor.  the log splitter engine charges the batt on it, and when needed I run cables to the other batt. on the conveyor.  had not run in a while, so had the cables on.  they were stiff, and worked there way up next to the exhaust and melted the insulation.  suddenly sparks and smoke.  nearly melted the lead terminals on top of the conveyor batter.   :snowball:   :D  these were old heavy cables my dad gave me 40 years ago.  I will trim and fix.  I plan to put fleet wire connectors on it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

@doc henderson that sounds like something that I would have got caught up in. Stuff happens, right?
Trying harder everyday.

Nebraska

Any body ever pick up their grapple bucket and forget to close the latches on the quick attach? Just asking...

sawguy21

Nope. Never heard of ANYBODY doing that! ;)

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on October 25, 2021, 11:29:18 AM
Any body ever pick up their grapple bucket and forget to close the latches on the quick attach? Just asking...
Nope, Nobody....ever.  :D :D :D ;D :embarassed:
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

What is this quick attach you speak of?....  Oh one day I will have one...

doc henderson

it is espeially great if you remembered to attach the hydraulics, and tip forward up in the air and loose the grapple.  or so I have been told...   :o :) :D.  they only spurt fluid if you actuate the controls.   :snowball:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

sawguy21

Then there was the day I unhooked the hoses (with great difficulty and some cussing) and tried to detach the loader from the new Kubota Scut. I decided to read the instructions, there had to be an easier way. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!