iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Well in all fairness it did say it was rated for "Canadian" snow load, so after you allow for the exchange rate I would say it was more of a southern Utah tent and not an Idaho one.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Quote from: Southside on December 30, 2021, 02:42:16 PM
Well in all fairness it did say it was rated for "Canadian" snow load, so after you allow for the exchange rate I would say it was more of a southern Utah tent and not an Idaho one.  :D
Dang, I hadn't taken that into consideration lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

My dumb move today was not checking the new sausage stuffer I bought a couple weeks ago to make some deer sausage and such. I killed the deer the 27th and just finished grinding it last night and was going to stuff it into sausage today only to find my stuffer was missing the funnels. Apparently some low life bought it, took the funnels out to replace the ones they'd lost then returned it. I called the company and they finally found a couple more in the back and the guy agreed to pull the funnels out of one of them and ship it back as defective. Even though it meant a 25 mile drive each way that was as much as I could hope for them to do especially since I no longer even had the receipt. I went over and got the funnels and guess I'll be mixing up and stuffing sausages tonight. It set me back a few hours but the sales people were as cooperative as I could have expected them to be. Too often they are not.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 30, 2021, 06:58:45 PM
  My dumb move today was not checking the new sausage stuffer I bought a couple weeks ago to make some deer sausage and such. I killed the deer the 27th and just finished grinding it last night and was going to stuff it into sausage today only to find my stuffer was missing the funnels. Apparently some low life bought it, took the funnels out to replace the ones they'd lost then returned it. I called the company and they finally found a couple more in the back and the guy agreed to pull the funnels out of one of them and ship it back as defective. Even though it meant a 25 mile drive each way that was as much as I could hope for them to do especially since I no longer even had the receipt. I went over and got the funnels and guess I'll be mixing up and stuffing sausages tonight. It set me back a few hours but the sales people were as cooperative as I could have expected them to be. Too often they are not.
How big of stuffer did you get, I've been using my grinder for the last 10 years and finally got a stuffer last year. I ordered a 20# manual stuffer, but I'm yet to be able to get more than about 12# in it. I do wish I had bought one sooner and my next one will be electric. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

I bought a Weston brand 5 lb stuffer. It looks kind of like a a horn of plenty or a 90 degree 4" pipe elbow welded to feet and a long handle to press the meat out of the container into the funnel. It has 3 different size funnels for stuffing different size sausage from big summer sausage down to small snack sticks.

I don't know how much it will actually hold or how hard it will be to press the sausage out or such. I'd rather have had one of the crank, press type but they were 3-4 times as expensive so I opted for this one for about $60. I have the hog casings soaking to soften but I have never threaded one on a funnel yet so I will see how hard that is to do.

I mixed up the pork and deer good tonight and plan to start with 8 lbs (8 each 12") of summer sausages then 24 lbs of breakfast link sausages that I'll try to smoke on my worn out smoker.

I'm hoping Caveman will bring his welder as well as his tool box when he comes to visit and he can replace the rusted out ends for me as one of his projects. :D

Here is the stuffer I bought. I have not seen any videos or real reviews (One lady says it is easier than using a pop bottle - that was a lot of help. ::)) on how well it works. My grinder does not seem to work well for regrinding so I can't see how it would work as a stuffer. If anybody here has and has used one of these I'd welcome any input and suggestions.

Weston 36-5005-W Manual Sausage Stuffer - 5 Ibs. (restaurantsupply.com)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Mine is the upright style with a crank, I need to attach it to a sheet of plywood, if I don't add a little extra water to the snack stick mix, I have to have my wife hold the stuffer while I turn the handle. 
I use the hog casing for brats, the collagen for snack sticks and the paper ones for summer sausage. I stuff everything as soon as it's mixed, if it sets overnight it might get stiff and be harder to run through the stuffer. Keep us posted how it turns out. 

Crossroads

WV Sawmiller

Crossroads,

I have not mixed in the spices yet so will have to mix each batch one more time before I stuff it. We will see how it turns out. I am thinking to bolt the stuffer to a 1X8 strapped across the corner of my porch rails like I do with the grinder. 
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Crossroads, that is a shelter Logic isn't it? These last a year or less around here, but everybody sells them and people keep buying them. Sorry man. That really sucks.
 I bought a Rhino Shelter about 4 years ago and it's tough stuff. The first winter I would be out clearing snow as it was building up, the second winter I would go out after a heavy snow and clear it, the third winter I forgot about it mostly and would clear it from time to time.. Good design, very strong fabric, no issues. I know it won't last forever but it's doing good so far. It was a lot more expensive than the shelter logic versions, about twice the price as I recall.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

High tunnels, unheated greenhouses, have the same problem. Greenhouses are usually double layered plastic with an inflation fan that maintains a space between layers that helps insulate. In snow they turn that fan off and turn the heat up to melt the snow. We have to keep the high tunnel cleared as the snow accumulates. The 2' snow we had a few winters back took down 5 here locally that I know of. Our plan is that if we cannot keep up with the snowfall, we'll slash the plastic. In the case of those the covering is about 1/10 the cost of the frame.

Crossroads

I'm not sure if it's shelter logic,it may be?  I bought it from a guy on market place locally who had never opened the box. I was going to dig the box out today, but it's really buried and at this point, the metal box is probably the best part of the deal, so I don't want to damage it lol 

VB-Milling

Note to self....don't lay the roller table on its side to get it out of your way....all the rollers come out!

HM126

WV Sawmiller

VB,

That is handy to know! Now you know when you are short on storage space you can just collapse the rollers and store them in a fraction of assembled space. :D
Howard Green

WDH

Don't lose those notes, they will come in handy later :).  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Judging by the lenght of this thread, we all have a drawer full of notes that we don't refer back to.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

I quit making notes, they usually get held against me by Murphy, Karma & Associates at some point.   :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

K-Guy

Notes!?! I don't use them, I have a perfect memory for them....

Now if I could just find it?  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

thecfarm

Notes-lists, just about the same.
 Do what I do, make a list of things you need when you go to town. leave the list at home so you can come home and see what you forgot.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dougtrr2

Last year I completely torn down and rebuilt an 18" Oliver direct drive planer.  I took many pictures and extensive notes.  But on the build up I was in too much of a hurry to go back and refer to those pictures and notes.  As a result I had to redo several assembly steps.

Doug in SW iA

Nebraska

So I'm gonna rat  on someone else because I am shaking my head a little. I get a phone call the other night....."Dad my trucks making a rattling noise in the front end I don't know what it is I'm almost back, I'm gonna drop it by Karl's and have him look." (Karl is a family friend mechanic)
 I thought ok it's got enough miles could a be  CV joint going bad. I get a text from Karl that the truck was done about 45 mins later.   I thought it was odd it was that quick. I told him thank you for dealing with my kids crap so quickly, then I  told the boys to go get it, and didn't think much more about it.  Fast forward about a week nobody had said what exactly was going on so I asked my wife if she knew.  She looked at me and said Tom did n't tell you.... I said nope why?  His mom says well it was loose lug nuts on the tire he changed...... ::) 
Hmmm wonder why he didn't tell dad??....... Just very thankful it didn't come off and make things much worse. He thought he cranked them tight enough but didn't look at it again and check. Probably in a hurry to see a girl, if I remember right.....  I'm sure I was much more on top of things when I was 20...
Yeah right ....nuts don't fall far from trees....

WV Sawmiller

Nebraska,

That tale reminds me of the time my then teen daughter came driving our old Pontiac Catalina into the drive in a cloud of dust, backed into the parking spot and came in the house. I told her "Driving pretty fast there weren't you?" She said "Yeah but I had to hurry because that front right tire was going flat on me."

She had just driven through town 5 miles away past 3 service stations run by friends of ours so she could get home in time for Dad and big brother to go change the tire. ::) Any one of them would have plugged or changed the tire and if she was low on cash they'd have run a tab for her. 
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

When my sister was dating her now husband, he rotated the tires I think on her car(an old subaru station wagon).  Days later my dad discovered that the right front wheel was missing a lug nut and the others were loose.  I think I remember that we had to change all the lug bolts because the threads were all damaged.  That car only had 4 lug bolts.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Ah, to be young and dumb.  My first car was a 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 with a 425 cu-in V-8.  It had a speedo cable that went to the front left tire.  It was always giving me trouble.  I had the front tire off trying to figure it out.  I put the tire back on and, for some reason, drove about a mile down to my sister and BILs place.  On the way, my left front hubcap jumped off and rolled into the bushes.  Strange... 

On the way back I stopped and threw it in the back seat.  I drove past my house to go to where my BIL worked at a garage.  About half way there, on a narrow, no shoulder highway, the car started to vibrate bad (as I was doing about 70).  I turned on to the only side street that went straight up a hill to a cul-d-sac at the top. (I should have just tightened what was still there)  I knew I shouldn't work on the tire with a jack on the hill so I tried for the top.  Half way up (going very slow) the tire clunked down as the last lug nut came off.  I was fortunate enough to find a line of lug nuts on the hill behind my car and was able to re-attach the wheel.  Now I really tighten the lug nuts!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

This reminds me of the guy who had a flat and changed the tire in front of the state insane asylum. After he put the spare on he started to put the lugs on and stepped on the hubcap he used to hold them, it flipped and they all fell down into the street drain and washed away before he could rescue them. 

He stood there shaking his head and a guy walked out and asked what was the problem. He explained he'd lost all the lug nuts. The stranger said "Why don't you just take one off each of the other 3 wheels and that should get you to the next service station or parts place to get some more." 

The driver did as suggested and turned to the stranger and said "That was a great idea. Can I give you a lift somewhere?" The man pointed to the asylum and said "No thanks. I live right there." The car owner said "But you don't seem crazy to me." The inmate said "Oh I'm crazy all right, I'm just not stupid."
Howard Green

firefighter ontheside

That reminds me of being lost in Galway Ireland.  We pulled up in front of a big old building and someone came walking out.  We asked directions from the man wearing a robe.  As we pulled away on the left side of the road, which was disconcerting enough, and realized what the sign said on the building.  It was an insane assylum.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!