iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

doc henderson

I have a conveyor for my log splitter that runs off 12 V and I charge it off the motor on the splitter.  I used to use a 20 foot set of cables my dad gave me in my 20s to go from the splitter battery to the one on the conveyor.  I also had adapted to the exhaust and ran a pipe to a small car muffler that shoots away from the splitter.  one day the cables got against the exhaust, and before I could do anything, the terminals mostly melted away.  I have now replaced it with fleet wire connections and cable that is fastened down.  I can charge from the splitter, or the front or back of my truck.  I could also jump my truck off the splitter or the conveyor.  tuff times.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Doc,

I feel your pain. A year or so back I melted the lead terminal on a lawn mower battery and the cable terminal in a similar fashion while jumping it off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crossroads

The best one I've seen was when I was an EMT there was a guy walking with a framing gun, with his finger on the trigger. His heel came up and bumped the safety, sending a 16 penny nail through the back of his boot and into his foot. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 15, 2022, 10:54:11 PM
Doc,

I feel your pain. A year or so back I melted the lead terminal on a lawn mower battery and the cable terminal in a similar fashion while jumping it off.
I felt bad as these (jumper cables) were a gift my dad gave each of us three boys.  the clamps were kind of toast.  the cable was good and I used it on the revamped conveyor application.  I have had them over 40 years.  It was a stop gap to use them between the splitter and conveyor as I always planned to do the universal connections like were on my truck.  I used them on the front and back of my truck and could also put my winch on the front or back 2 inch receiver.  so I guess I can run the winch off the log splitter of the conveyor as well.  we are all lucky to be alive.  it is a fine line to almost harm ourselves and learn in the process.  or take no chances and know nothing, or die trying stupid stuff.

doc henderson

Quote from: Crossroads on February 15, 2022, 10:55:41 PM
The best one I've seen was when I was an EMT there was a guy walking with a framing gun, with his finger on the trigger. His heel came up and bumped the safety, sending a 16 penny nail through the back of his boot and into his foot.
that is a dance you do not see too often.  ED docs need to smile on occasion too!   :) :) :)

doc henderson

we had a scout meeting tonight, in prep for a winter camporee. there will be competition.  one of which is fire starting.  so we practiced many including the 9V battery and steel wool, with dryer lint ect. ect.

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on February 15, 2022, 10:40:43 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on February 15, 2022, 09:26:56 AM
I'm back 🙈 I was working with a friend yesterday and was hold a board in place with my right hand and running the nail gun with my left. (I'm right handed) anyway, the first nail hit its mark, but I got a bonus that was about an inch off and at an angle that was in perfect alignment with my thumb. Thanks to my cat like reflexes, I was able to rip it out sideways 🙈 will be sore for a few days, but shouldn't slow me down any on my way to posting here again 🤓
I have had about 3 patients come in that shot a framing nail through their hand and into the 2x, and the team had to cut a few feet of a 2x4 off the wall.  the pt. comes in with the nail still holding the wood to their hand.  local and systemic pain meds, and some pliers.  
Was just texting about such an experience the other day with another member.  Managed to do that to my left index finger up on a ladder one time, no insurance, but had pliers and the phone number to a corpsman buddy from days gone by.  He tells me to start reading off what I have so I look in the cow meds fridge and go bottle by bottle, lets just say after telling him how much his choice in antibiotics stung - THEN, while frantically laughing, he tells me I could have mixed lidocaine with it to take the edge off, had not made it to that bottle before he said "yup - use that, it might sting but you won't get an infection."  
Luckily that never happened again.  

@Nebraska  LA200
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

That sounds like fun! There are a lot of creative fire starters around, one that caught me by surprise was walnuts, they lite easy and burn quite a while. The one I carry in my hunting pack is cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly. I cut straws into about 1 1/2" sections the burn and  crimp 1 end then stuff a saturated cotton ball in, then burn and crimp the other end. When you need to use it, cut the end and feather out a few strands and hit it with a metal match. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Dang SS, with friends like that who needs enemies lol  one things for sure, if it stings , ya know it's doing something.

terrifictimbersllc

In my college days i worked at an RV factory. Helped get my roommate a job there one summer. He nailed two fingers together with a framing stapler. I drove him to the country doctors office a few miles away. Doc Abel opened a drawer looked like could have been from my dads shop got out a side cutters and pliers cut the staple in two and pulled out the pieces, only difference was he had some pain killer too.  ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

firefighter ontheside

@doc henderson I went to Oreillys Autoparts hoping to find a connection like that to use.  They didn't have anything remotely close.  I will order something and have some connections sort of permanently mounted to the battery and winch and maybe even the charger to make it more fool(me) proof.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

Machinebuilder

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 16, 2022, 07:26:40 AM
@doc henderson I went to Oreillys Autoparts hoping to find a connection like that to use.  They didn't have anything remotely close.  I will order something and have some connections sort of permanently mounted to the battery and winch and maybe even the charger to make it more fool(me) proof.
They are commonly referred to as Anderson Power Pole connectors.
They come in several sizes rated per amperage.
Where I have seen them most is in battery connections on things like electric fork trucks, floor scrubbers etc.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Don P

My BIL branded his wedding band to his finger jumping the dead car on their honeymoon  :D.

After a few nail incidents at work with others going to the doc, if it's "just a flesh wound" I've not gone in. I've hit bone but never gotten a nail stuck, it did knock the feeling out of that finger tip for a long time. We sent one in when the nail penetrated the bone. It didn't shatter which was our fear at the time, the bone was porous enough to act more like wood. My best man hit one of the main nerves in his hand, that did some damage. Those are the ones to go in for. A couple of times the glue from the nail has worked out of me later, itchy, whoo boy. "cc sinker" cement coated sinker, its a thermosetting glue. Punctures always bear attention, you're sticking dirt in deep but that glue and gun oil must be pretty clean.

doc henderson

I got the first set at a diesel pickup place I use, and had them installed for and aft on my truck.  you can get them on amazon, and I agree with getting a good brand like Anderson.  that is what I have.  I also got covers to keep them clean when not in use.  my jumpers in the truck have an end replaced with one, and I do not need to raise my hood to jump myself or others.  I just plug in.  it is best to have a resettable breaker, incase of a short.  the short end off the cables have one also so I can plug it back onto the long end, and have a regular set of cables with a clamp on both ends.  

beenthere

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 16, 2022, 07:26:40 AM
I went to Oreillys Autoparts hoping to find a connection like that to use.  They didn't have anything remotely close.  I will order something and have some connections sort of permanently mounted to the battery and winch and maybe even the charger to make it more fool(me) proof.
Orion Motor Tech Wire Connector 2 Pack, 50A Wire Harness Plug Kit for 6 to 12 Gauge Cables

Found on Amazon  
Edit: removed link for reason doc henderson noticed about a link. And his amp selection may be better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doc henderson

I used the 175 amp.  the breakers that came with my winch, are wired under the hood of my truck to protect the system.

I put the link on but it looked like it had our account logged in.  you can find them on amazon, and if you ordered in 7 hours, at the time I looked, you would have them by tomorrow.

search Anderson 175 amp connectors.

Old Greenhorn

OK, it appears to be my turn in the hole...again. Last week we had some snow and I plowed but it wasn't a lot so I plowed a couple of spots in the back I didn't hit when we had the bigger snow because I had to get the Mule out back to take mushroom logs and clean up the big leader that came down on my drying rack in the ice storm. Anyway, I plowed over the area where I have a temporary air line running along the ground from the shed to the shop because the shop compressor blew up (motor) in July. I forgot about the hose until I was right over it, but looked down and it was still not visible under the snow, so the plow, I figured, went over it. I forgot about it. Well I have been sick in the house for 3 days and the temps warmed up and stuff melted. Today I ventured out and when I came around the back of the shop I found this.

Guess I didn't miss it after all. >:( Glad I had shut that compressor off during the really frigid temps. Maybe this will encourage me to bury a proper line in the spring. Maybe.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

Cheap temporary fix though, short piece of copper tubing and 2 hose clamps!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rusticretreater

You may call that doing something dumb, but that falls in line with my average daily mayhem.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

trapper

Had an appointment last night.  While there started snowing and blowing.  Going home made it fine until driveway.  About 2 mph blowing so hard couldnt see road and slipped into ditch.  Got ATV and gave wife ride to house.  No problem call AAA in morning.  AAA came and pulled car out no damage.  Window was cracked open a bit and windshield frosted up inside over night.   Too impaient to let it clear completely there was a crack open about 3 inches at the bottom and drove home  once in yard turned too soon and caught bumper on guy wire of power pole.  Broke a portion of front bumper off.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

rusticretreater

Yeesh.  The school of hard knocks is always in session.  An impatient man at the age of 78? Go figure.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

chet

Quote from: trapper on February 19, 2022, 12:56:58 PM
Had an appointment last night.  While there started snowing and blowing.  Going home made it fine until driveway.  About 2 mph blowing so hard couldnt see road and slipped into ditch.  Got ATV and gave wife ride to house.  No problem call AAA in morning.  AAA came and pulled car out no damage.  Window was cracked open a bit and windshield frosted up inside over night.   Too impaient to let it clear completely there was a crack open about 3 inches at the bottom and drove home  once in yard turned too soon and caught bumper on guy wire of power pole.  Broke a portion of front bumper off.
Look at it this way, Trapper. Catching that guy could have been MUCH worse, and costly. Spring is coming. :) 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don P

Whoever broke the bumper on the dump truck in a previous life and just bent it back flat is a hero in my eyes  :D 

Thank You Sponsors!