iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I just have to move this thread back up....Just got done with a stint of call and have the weekend off. Been a pretty nice day for February about hit 50.. So just before dark I finished unloading the third and final trailer load of fire wood logs  i was getting tired of it and came to the realization...... I had just spent the better part of the day working hard at making more work for myself later..   ::)  I guess i'm set for firewood  which is good, really good actually...... Then I went to unhook a trailer and the sliding part of the jack hung up in the tube a little. I was holding the pin in my left hand and gave it a little whack. Then it promptly freed itself directly into the ring fingernail bed of my right hand.  Which for whatever reason was still perched on the edge of the block I sat under it. Now I have a nifty purple throbbing fingernail. 

Old Greenhorn

Sorry man, that sucks. Why is it when we have 'time off' we spend it making more work for ourselves and top that off by finding 'not so smart' things to slow us down.
 I prescribe and alcohol soak, PO.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Self medicating with a pint of stout. :)

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

I just went and picked up an Woodmaster outdoor furnace off of craigslist.  I made a sled to pull it onto my trailer.  It was all going pretty well.  I was able to jack up the furnace with my floor jack no problem.  Got the sled rails under it, installed the cross braces and tried to winch it up onto my trailer.

The trailer is a landscaping type trailer with the drop down rear gate.  I had beveled the sled rail to slide up onto the trailer but it still jammed.  The gate end was on the concrete slab and I noticed that if I pulled forward a bit, the gate would be on the ground which was about an inch lower than the concrete. So I released the spool on the winch and pulled forward a bit.

I then went to winch it up on the trailer again but I had no battery power.  I then found the battery under the trailer and the negative cable had pulled out of the connector lug.  Its one of the two piece safety connectors.  I had to finangle the lug out of the connector, drive a phillips screwdriver into the end to open it up again.  The old fella I was buying the furnace from went and got a propane torch and some solder and we went at it.  Burned the insulation on the cable pretty good but we got it back together.  

The furnace went right up on the trailer after that.  All things considered, a fairly painless outing.  I still think about what would have happened if the battery did some arc welding while under the trailer.  :-\ :-X
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Southside

@Nebraska try 3ml of LA200 IM in your opposite arm.  Guarantee you won't notice the pain in your finger any more.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Nebraska on February 26, 2022, 09:24:25 PM
Self medicating with a pint of stout. :)
Now your talking. Hope your healing ❤️‍🩹 up

firefighter ontheside

@rusticretreater did you see what I did to my battery last week and posted pics on here?  I dropped a big ratchet strap on top of the battery in the back of my truck.  The ratchet spanned the two terminals and caused the battery to explode.  Part of the strap burned, but I'm guessing that when the battery blew up it put the fire out.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

rusticretreater

There's been more than one time I welded a wrench to a fender while tussling with battery terminals.  I now have a designated wrench that is wrapped in tape.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ljohnsaw

Here's a funny YouTube about something that could have gone horribly wrong.  I've watched a few of his builds.  I like his style.
Big off road skates
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

Looks like he needs to build a sawmill.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 01, 2022, 10:32:11 AM
Looks like he needs to build a sawmill.
:D :D :D :D :D
Now that's funny right there! ;D

Crossroads

I've gotta ask. Have you used the LA200 on yourself before Southside? I've hit some farm critters with it, and none of them seem to like it, but I've seen it put the curl back in a pigs tail more than once. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

After accidentally shooting myself in the hand with a nail gun in the days of no insurance and no money it was the only option I had available to prevent infection.  I didn't feel any pain in my hand any longer, and it put the curl back into my hair even though I have been bald since the early '90s.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Lol, glad you mended okay, I keep a new bottle on hand, just in case. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Wlmedley

After ruining several blades by cutting my log stops I have been watching them pretty closely.Well today I was about ready to go to the house but I thought one more log as I had several on the deck and an order for 150 2"x4"s.Grabbed a can't hook and rolled one on the mill.Stops all the way down and log rolled off other side of the mill.When I designed my set up I didn't leave much room on offside figuring sawdust and slabs would be the only thing coming off.Wrong!  :D.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

WV Sawmiller

Boy, I'm sure glad I never rolled one completely over my mill! ::) :D :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

I swear! I haven't done that. Well at least not twice in the same day

firefighter ontheside

I think the only way to never hit your stops is to never put them up.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

When the clutch is engaged both engine driven hydraulic pumps on my Super 70 are pushing oil to the tune of 18 GPM, I don't recall the pressure, but it's enough that we have trophy markers off the back side of the mill showing just how far logs have gone when launched up and over the backstops, that seems to give them more of an arc to get better distance than just tossing them flat off the back, or at least I have been told.  ::) 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

wisconsitom

Few days ago put myself in a bind-literally-where I was stuck but had no room behind the rears and the "stuck" was in front of me.  3 feet of sugar snow under front tires, right one down in a hole, and old wood deck steps now wedged behind left rear tire as tractor slid sideways as tires started to spin.  The snow in front of the loose stuff was just the opposite, piled high days earlier and frozen into ice.  No way, nowhere to go forward. Tire jammed in rear.  Bucket push couldn't help in this situation.

So I's gets rocking, 2inches this way, turn steering wheel first this way, to bust out some tough snow on the left side that's hanging me up, but then back the other way REAL fast, so whole works wouldn't slide back down into hole.

On and on, HST oil had to be getting warm🥴, but gradually slightly changed the angle of the machine just enough.....that all I had to do was be willing to have the left rear tire back right up and over that step.  Yisss, good times. Now, with bucket push and rear dif lock, up and over that step and on out of there.  Gotta say, R4s are tough!

Would have been a long and cold walk up out of the woods, all the way to the neighbors, hope he's home, see if the skidder will start, see if we can dig me out of there.

Ask me about hybrid larch!

Crossroads

I'm looking forward to having the faster hydraulics. Only 13 months to go 

Thank You Sponsors!