iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

Quote from: Ianab on March 14, 2022, 02:54:18 AMSo I'm stuck in the bathroom.... 
Quote from: Ianab on March 14, 2022, 02:54:18 AMSo I'm stuck in the bathroom....

At least if you had to go, you could!! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WV Sawmiller

Ian,

Reminds me of the summer I took the kids to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia with me. We landed in London about 7:00 am and did not leave till 7:00 pm so we left our bags in the Left Luggage room and took the underground to Green Park and visited the area, had lunch at HRC, and returned. We took a shower there at Heathrow and my daughter who was 14 at the time got locked in when the door lock failed and we had to get maintenance to come get her out. I was afraid I was going to have to leave her in there so as not to miss my flight a one point. :D

Cavey,

About a week after we were married my MIL was mowing the yard in at their home there near Cullman Ala and ran over a nest of yellowjackets and they got up her loose jeans legs and such and she shed them out there in the yard and ran back to the house. The old mowers back then did not have a safety shut off when you released the handle so it ran over the hole and kept the YJs stirred up till it ran out of gas. I think she was able to go back after dark and get her pants and the mower. She was a big lady and it must have been a sight to see her running back to the house. Fortunately they did not have any close neighbors or a lot of traffic on their road.

Our first exchange student was a tall, stereotypical blonde, blue-eyed Swede named Monica. Her mom, Britt, and her younger sister came out for her graduation and stayed with us several weeks. School was not out yet and the kids were all in class, my wife was teaching and I was in the USMC at Camp LeJeune and we had a sunny day in early May so Britt decided to "Take some sun" and got a blanket, laid out in the back yard and loosened the top and fell asleep. All was good till Trip, our 9 month old German Shepherd saw the tempting bathing suit top and decided a good game of tug of war would be lots of fun. Evidently there was a lot of give and take for a couple of minutes to determine ownership there in the back yard. Britt told us about it a few days later. She was also a big lady and I don't know if any of my neighbors on either side of us saw any of the hoopla.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Caveman, your story reminds me of the time my wife was standing in the greenhouse door and asked me if she had a tick on her back. Sure enough it was a seed tick in the small of her back. 

So I am on my knees behind her, she hiked up the back of her summer dress high enough for me to get the buggar, my head is right close to her so I can see, and an employee rounds the corner right then. 

The look of sheer horror on the employees face was priceless.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Ian, clearly Lil wanted a new door with the new bathroom and sabotaged the door so you would destroy it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

LIL

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 14, 2022, 06:36:55 PM
Ian, clearly Lil wanted a new door with the new bathroom and sabotaged the door so you would destroy it.
Clearly it was in the master plan and I am one step closer  :D

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

firefighter ontheside

Lol.  Who knew @LIL was a member?  Did you get him started on that  bathroom yet?  Other than the door.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

We don't hear a lot from her but she keeps a close eye on him. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Well, I"m ready to go winch some logs onto the trailer tomorrow.  Hopefully you all remember the significance of this picture.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

There, much cheaper to enclose it than buy a new one.
Safer too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rusticretreater

That picture belongs on the "Did something smart today" thread.   :D
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: rusticretreater on March 16, 2022, 07:25:59 PM
That picture belongs on the "Did something smart today" thread.   :D
Funny, we don't have one of those. I wonder why....OH, Nevermind. :D :D :D :D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SawyerTed

That's called learning from the school of hard knocks.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

beenthere

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 16, 2022, 03:08:10 PM
Well, I"m ready to go winch some logs onto the trailer tomorrow.  Hopefully you all remember the significance of this picture.

Better!

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

firefighter ontheside

Oh, thats a bad memory.  Lol.  I'm not sure I do something smart often enough to create a thread about it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

SawyerTed

+1 to that!  Sometimes I do and say such smart stuff, then I try to get out of my truck with my seatbelt on!  ::) :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

TimW

After sawing seventy 2x6s, I was sawing 2x12s and flipped the 11.25 inch wide cant on it's side and proceeded to cut at 5.12 inches on the cutomer's log.  Oh snap.
              hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

sawguy21

:D It definitely was time to stop for coffee.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

Whoops.  You can always use a nother 2x6.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Wlmedley

After forgetting to raise my log stops and rolling a pretty big poplar off my mill a week or two ago I've been pretty careful.Today I had two sides cut on another big poplar and was trying to roll it again to get the third side up.It was all I could do to get it stood up.Before I could get it clamped it rolled back over,slid completely off mill onto my walkway.About 2 hours later I got it back up on mill with come along and pigpole.Decided it was time to go in.Another lesson learned the hard way  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

Big_eddy

My turn today :(
Took the tractor and trailer up into the woods to cut some rocket fuel aka syrup wood. I collect standing dry dead ash poles about 1-3" diameter and 20' long and stack them into a cross brace, then whip through them all at once with the saw, cutting them into 12-16" lengths. I can easily gather 3/4 face cord in an hour or less. Enough for 150 gallons or so of sap.

Had my trailer loaded up and was heading back, when a long dead branch hooked on the bucket guard and came along for the ride. I tried steering left and right and more left and more right, trying to shake the darn thing loose to no avail. Still dragging it. 
I'm gonna get you sucker! I lifted the bucket up high to let gravity help. Nope.  Lowered it again. I figured if I could get it under a wheel, I'd pull it off so more wiggling back and forth. No such luck. Still dragging.

Finally dumped the bucket and off it came. And out dropped my 562xp as well, right under the front wheel. Fortunately I saw the flash of orange and hit the brakes hard. Front wheel pushed the saw along the mud about 2' instead of going over it. Other than a lot of embedded mud and my severely wounded pride, no real damage done.

Note to others. Don't let a dumb stick get the better of you!

thecfarm

You need to build this on your tractor. 

How to mount chain saw to tractor - YouTube

Don't be put off by the 9 minute video. For some reason it repeats itself. 
I try not to put anything in my bucket I don't want to run over.  ;D
I think the last time I did it was a shovel, that I run over.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

@Wlmedley that is heartbreaking to have the log roll off the back.  Especially as hard as it is sometimes to get the log up there in the first place.  Luckily I have only had one do that to me and I was able to maneuver my tractor back there to pick it back up.  There are times though when I wouldn't be able to get the tractor back there due to having logs or waste piles in the way.

@Big_eddy sometimes being intent on a single task, like getting that limb loose, distracts us from the bigger picture, like a picture of a nice chainsaw nestled down in a bucket.  I did that with a chain once, but of course the chain wasn't gonna get hurt.  Probably the only reason I haven't run over my chainsaw is that I never have the bucket on the tractor anymore.  I use the forks 99% of the time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I had that 44" butt log on the sawmill this morning and crawled onto the sawmill to remove some dirty bark.  Yup, missed the bed rail when I stepped and....

I took a swan dive, well actually a head first dive down through the sawmill which did not dent anything on the sawmill.  I had to make an unscheduled visit to the Quick Care for two staples and then a visit to the hospital for a $1200 CT scan to check for a concussion.  It came back negative.  I ate lunch and finished the day sawing.  

I know of two different people that recently had minor falls and then went into a full seizure, so I did what I was supposed to do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!