iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366, JJ and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

firefighter ontheside

I went outside to start my day, but noticed some tools sitting on the back cover of my truck.  I then realized that I had driven the truck to pick up my son last night.  A total of 20 miles on curvy roads.  I was amazed that two socket wrenches, snap ring pliers and a socket road without falling off.  I knew there were some other sockets sitting up there, so I walked my driveway and found 2 sockets.  I then remembered that on the way home last night I remember seeing a socket on the road and thought about stopping to pick it up.  I decided against it, but now that I know it was probably my socket I should have stopped.  In my memory it appeared to be about a 13/16 socket that I had been using to work on my flatbed.  Dang it!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Hmm, that socket laying in the road looks just like mine... :o :D

Leaving wrenches on the inner fender while working on a car, shutting the hood, and then driving away doesn't guarantee they'll still be there when you get home either. :-X
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Cornerstone

I scan the road looking for tools. I've got some real beauties too, a nearly new Eastwig framing hammer for one. I've lost my share as well, the worst being a custom made heavy duty ramp for my trailer. That one was lost once before and when I got home it made me so sick I determined to find it, sure enough it was on the corner of a 4 way busy intersection half way back. I guess it was determined to run off and eventually did.
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

wisconsitom

Not my worst move ever, but managed to drive up I-41 about a hundred miles yesterday with the tail end of one ratchet strap dragging on the road.  DanG, thought we'd tied all loose ends.  Load was secure, we just probably looked dumb.  

Said load was an old Simplicity 7116 lawn tractor, our latest project.  Price was right-free-and unit will cut grass right now, but does need some love.  Nice wide cut, this is gonna help up at the shack.  Only have smaller Toro rider up there now, which has been giving us grief anyway, was too small-mowing takes too long.  

Best part-Simplicity colors match our Bobcat tractor paint!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 12, 2022, 09:11:13 AMIn my memory it appeared to be about a 13/16 socket that I had been using to work on my flatbed.
I have a few that I've found.  Want me to send you one ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

Years ago I read that hanging a big wad of keys from an ignition switch could damage it. I was skeptical until a locksmith chimed in and verified it. Uh oh, breaking apart my keys is gonna lead to trouble but I started doing it anyway.
Before taking my truck on an errand I removed the truck key from the ring but remembered I need to make sure the trailer hitch was installed so as I walked to the rear I placed the rest of the keys on the tool box(note: this is the part I forgot about), checked the hitch and then got in the truck drove off. Upon returning I couldn't find the rest of my keys. I looked and looked but to no avail and finally decided to retrace my steps using the car. I thought is was a snowball's chance in you-know-where of finding the keys but as I drove over the gravel road (just in front of our house) a shiny object caught my eye. I realized then that I had put them on the toolbox and they fell off - and in front of my house. Talk about luck!!!
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

aigheadish

I also keep my eyes peeled for tools in the road and every once in a while I'll find something. This all apparently started when I was a wee tyke of maybe 15 or 16 years old when I found a tiny adjustable wrench laying in the road when my buddy and I were walking around. It's only about maybe 2" long and has an opening of less than half inch. I still have it on my key ring to this day, and I've actually used it a few times (mostly for opening beers I think). 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Larry

In the Home Depot parking lot a few weeks ago.  "Hey lady do you always drive around with your cell phone laying on top your car?" :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SawyerTed

I drove 12 miles from a sawing job with the metal bar used to adjust the outriggers laying on the hydraulics box.  On the other hand I lost it in the driveway behind my shop on my way to a sawmill job once.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

I have been known to stop and pick up tools that I see on the road.  I found a very nice snap-on brand screwdriver.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

I was out playing in the glamis sand dunes one time in my jeep, well, like many trips I ended up breaking something. So when I was laying under the jeep in the sand I kept getting stabbed by something. Ends up it was a 1/2" gear wrench. That wrench got alot of use by me. 

I did also find a bunch of other sockets there. talk about lucky breaking down same place as someone else :)

wisconsitom

Some guys are so smart they'll put things like knives, screwdrivers, and other sharp tools in their pockets when they're crouching around working on stuff.🙋

Southside

I had a socket fall into the abyss one time when servicing my pickup - could not find it and eventually gave up on it.  Next service - 10,000 miles later, I am under the truck and see something on a frame member - there is my socket.  Never would have guessed that was possible.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

wisconsitom

My long ago buddy and workmate set his can of soda on the chipper fender in between sips, in the shop one morning.  Later we got to the job site.  He got out of the cab, walked back to the chipper, grabbed the soda can where it still sat on that fender, and resumed drinking his refreshing beverage.

Dangerous_Dan

Almost!

Didn't see until I rolled past it on the 1st cut.
Missed it by less than 1/4 inch.
Keep your eyes open if your going to skip checking logs with the metal detector.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Resonator

QuoteLast time this happened I ended up buying a "new" (used) starter cover assembly and just replacing it. I tried to get the spring coiled back in, and watched a couple you tube videos that claim to do it in 5 minutes.   
After a couple hours... 
I'm shopping for another cover. 
Update on this, the temp hit 90°+ this week and I decided to work on this inside (shade). smiley_sun 
Laid the starter cover on the workbench, and fabricated a wood block jig to keep the spring in while winding it. Got it back together, and the 180C runs and lives to saw another day! 8)

I will try to remember this the next time a pull cord breaks. :D

Big_eddy

Quote from: Southside on May 12, 2022, 11:29:18 PM
I had a socket fall into the abyss one time when servicing my pickup - could not find it and eventually gave up on it.  Next service - 10,000 miles later, I am under the truck and see something on a frame member - there is my socket.  Never would have guessed that was possible.  
I dropped a socket down into the depths of my Accord one day. Got the magnet on a stick out and fished around under the firewall behind the brake booster, beside the clutch master where the sucker was hiding. Click. Bingo! Stuck it back on the ratchet and back to work. But it didn't fit.  Turns out the socket I found was a 12mm. Mine was a 10. Another 10 mins of fishing around did not turn up my 10mm.

Magicman

Peeled the back off of my hand today:

And I had leather gloves on.  This old man thin skin thing is no fun.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Man that sucks and I hate it. It seems to take nothing sometimes. I took care of my folks, both well past 90 when they passed on and their skin was so thin. Really had some advanced experience with my Pop in his mid 90's doing wound care on him. The Doc caring for him was really good and taught me a lot when he found out I had some training. But that was then.
 Now it happens to me a lot. Playing some fun with the cats makes me look like I just left the battlefield. Nobody wants to see what my shins look like, bump a log and the blood flows. It's why I won't wear shorts when working. I constantly have holes in me somewhere. You have to be careful with that partial de-gloving that you got. Infection is the issue. Just be anal about keeping it clean and you already know the rest of the drill.
 The other night the wife says "ah, WHAT did you do now?!" and I asked what she was talking about. She grabs my arm and twists it and I can see it is covered in dried blood. Took me a while to recall rubbing it on a log while climbing down off the pile. I don't hardly even feel it. The biggest annoyance is the stains on shirts and stuff. It doesn't come out easy and leaves brown spots after washing. Although @WV Sawmiller  might tell you it is purple.
 Heal up Lynn, keep it clean.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

It was actually my customer, but I found these when I got home this evening after a 30 mile drive. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

Your customer gave you his shoes?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Resonator

Was they allergic to sawdust? ???
(A shoe! A shoe!)  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Resonator on May 16, 2022, 10:14:47 PM
Was they allergic to sawdust? ???
(A shoe! A shoe!)  :D
OH dang man! That is bad, but it did make me laugh! :D

Crossroads

Lol, good one! He set them down, then sat on a log to write my check. Apparently they weren't that important 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!