iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

Hmm... I'll have to look into it. I know I tried just a standard, orange yard extension cord and I ended up popping the breaker.  What gauge would work for just a small 120v Lincoln Handy-Mig? I assume 10 or 8? Seems easy enough, though the wire is likely 100 bucks now. It would be nice to move the welder instead of the work every time.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

cutterboy

Two weeks ago I bought a 100ft extension cord #10 for $86 on ebay. Most prices I saw were $128.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

btulloh

#10 for an extension. Don't make the extension any longer than really necessary. If you've got some #10 romex, that would be fine, just nut as friendly as good stranded cable. 

Is your circuit a true 20 amp - 20a breaker with #12 wire?  

HM126

Magicman

Both of mine are 10' and 8 gauge that I made up myself.  My Hobart 180 is on it's own wheels and the Lincoln tombstone is mounted on a two wheel dolly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

aigheadish

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!

btulloh- my wife does all the electricity but I'm pretty sure it's a 15 amp breaker. I do have an outlet nearby with 220v wire (is that 12 gauge? I bought it but don't remember, I remember its beefy and yellow) going to it on a legit 20 amp breaker that if I had an extension cord would work well. That was my wife's first suggestion. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

btulloh

I think that welder is 110 only. If it can be setup for 220, that would be an advantage. If you're running it on a 15a breaker, that would explain why the breaker is tripping. It really needs a 20a circuit @110 to be happy. 

The existing circuit with the 15a is probably limited to 15a by wiring. If it's #12 wire, it is capable of 20a with a breaker change. Don't change the breaker unless the wiring is sufficient for 20amp though. If that welder can be 110 or 220, you'd be ahead of the game by reconfiguring to 220 and running off your 220 circuit, especially if you want to use an extension cord. 
HM126

aigheadish

Thanks btulloh! 

We initially set that circuit up to be a 220 but then realized after the wiring was in that we didn't really want it, so the wiring is still 220 grade. The welder is definitely a 110 and it only trips the breaker on the outlet I'm currently using (not the one with the 220 wiring) with a normal yard extension cord. The outlet with the 220 wiring is about 15' deeper into the garage. I'm going to look for a beefier extension cord. 

rusticretreater

I have a Fourney Easy Weld Mig setup.  Its not a big welder at all.  The manual said it needed a 20amp circuit and it has the special patterned plug. I ran a dedicated #12 circuit and made sure it extended well outside the garage so I could work on things easily.  It loops up and hangs on a wood hanger when not in use.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

NE Woodburner

Quote from: aigheadish on June 01, 2022, 01:42:22 PMso the wiring is still 220 grade.

When you say 220 grade wiring, make sure you understand what that means. Wire gauge (thickness of the wire) needed depends on the current draw (Amps), not voltage. So you want a wire gauge rated for the amps of the circuit. The wire, circuit breaker and any receptacles all need to be rated for the amp load.

Voltage being 110 or 220 doesn't drive the wire gauge, but it does affect the number of hot wires. For example, a 110 v, 20 amp circuit requires 12 ga wire and there will typically be 3 wires - a hot, neutral and ground wire. A 220 v, 20 amp circuit also requires 12 ga wire, but there will be two hot wires and a ground and sometimes a neutral wire (not always needed depending on the wiring needs of the appliance you are serving).

You can always use a heavier gauge wire, but don't go lighter. If in doubt call an electrician or ask an electrician friend if you have one.

aigheadish

Thanks NE- I actually have several family members that are electricians, so that's a good call, unfortunately they all live just far enough away that it's not a simple trip up to check things out. They are happy to give advice though. 

It's been a few months since I looked at the wiring but I believe it's the latter you mentioned with the 4 wire setup...

woodman52

Just to be clear - The amperage of a circuit is determined by the breaker (not the outlet or the extension cord). The outlet should be wired with the appropriate gauge wire. You also have to be careful about the length of an extension cord, the longer the cord the larger the gauge should be. Go bigger if you have any doubt or are popping a breaker. If you are popping a ground fault outlet (or breaker) there can be other things at play besides an overload.
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor +, small wood processor, Farmi 501 winch, Wallenstein LX115 forwarding trailer, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

beenthere

QuoteIf you are popping a ground fault outlet (or breaker) there can be other things at play besides an overload.

As I understand it, GFCI has nothing to do with an "overload". Only imbalance between hot and neutral/ground that trips the GFCI circuit breaker.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hilltopper46

Don't forget - breakers can go bad as well. I almost replaced my central A/C a few years ago because it was popping the 220 20(?) amp breaker - until I talked to a guy who came out to bid the job and we decided it might be worth trying a new breaker. Replaced it with a breaker of the same amperage and it has worked perfectly ever since.
Southeast Wisconsin
Stihl MS290
Husqvarna 576XP
Skil 1642

EZ Boardwalk Jr

Farmall 60A with Loader, Grapple and Forks

MattW

If your popping your breaker your welds might not be as good as they should due to voltage drop.
We just got a 110/220 Chicom stick welder.
Turns out the garage is a shared 15amp 110 outlet.
Not only was I popping the breaker, but couldn't keep the arc stable at all, running cold.
Built an extension cord to run it off my 220 outlet and boy it sings, had to crank the amperage setting way down.
I can't even imagine the voltage drop on 110 before the breaker would pop, but I'm sure it wasn't pretty.

DWyatt

Note to self. The proper order is to move your finger that's holding the house wrap then swing the slap stapler, not the other way around. The staple missed my index finger, but the stapler did not ::)

GAB

Quote from: DWyatt on June 06, 2022, 07:27:45 AM
Note to self. The proper order is to move your finger that's holding the house wrap then swing the slap stapler, not the other way around. The staple missed my index finger, but the stapler did not ::)
OUCH!!!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Figured out today that my debarker motor was spinning backwards. The blade teeth correctly were pointing towards rear of mill,  but motor was spinning towards front of mill. Somehow in experimenting with different rotations i reverted it to the factory configuration but forgot to swap the motor leads. Now it cuts a groove again.

While sawing today i was thinking about making a post on how long does a debarker blade last, and who resharpens them. Then i looked carefully at the spinning blade, and saw it was going the wrong way. No need for that post now.

Not sure this qualifies for this thread, because i actually did something smart today, but instead was doing something dumb for maybe a year or more.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Not sure if this is still needed but my debarker blade lasted about 1125 engine hours and sawed over 200,000 bf. It had one tooth remaining when the WM service team came by on their loop and pointed it out to me. I ordered a new one and replaced it a few days later. The service team told me they were not repairable or able to sharpen.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JJ

Did they only replace the 1 tooth Howard? 🤭
Wait, ur in WV, where the toothbrush was invented 😂, of course only one tooth is needed. 

JJ

WV Sawmiller

I already covered that question when I posted right after their visit. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rusticretreater

@terrifictimbersllc 
So you are catching up on your 365 days x 2 did something dumb today posts.   8)
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

terrifictimbersllc

Would have been nice of you to say that i am caught up.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ljohnsaw

So I set to work to heat up and dimple the new ripper teeth on to the ripper bars.  I took this before picture:

A little too close!  So I slipped it on (look closely at what you can see of the ripper bar), heated it with the oxy/acet torch and used a ball-peen hammer to dimple it.  I had to get the metal really hot.  I thought red hot would do - nope.  Orange - nope.  Took straw heat to get a dimple.  After I did 5 of the 8, I realized I put them on upside down ::)

On the plus side, I got to test them trying to hammer them off.  Had to reheat and beat them off.  Sliding them back on, I had to beat them on which meant they wouldn't fall off like the first time trying to dimple them ;)  Anyhow, all done.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crossroads

Bet ya don't do that again anytime soon 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!