iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I bet all animals will come and lick the salt. 
They did up around the stumps too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KenMac

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 02, 2023, 06:09:37 PM
I hate dealing with activating new phones.  There is always a hassle.

@aigheadish I wore the chainsaw pants all day yesterday.  They were not as warm as I expected them to be.  Of course they are warm in the front where the protection is, but on the back they are thin.  They were comfortable and not annoying like chaps can be.  Of course I didnt test them for their intended purpose.  I will just assume they are good at that.  They have some nice zippered pockets in the regular pants places.  I have declared war on bradford pear trees this year.  I cut down some behind my parents barn.  The biggest was about 12" diameter.  I found more of them in the woods today and cut those down today.  I have found that this is a good time of the year to cut them.  We had a really good 20 deg morning yesterday, so bugs have been reduced.  Most other leafy trees(other than pine) have dropped their leaves, but the pears are still full of green leaves, so they are easy to spot.  The war will go on for years, but this is a start.  I needed to get rid of all of the trees that will produce seed next year.  Now I will have to keep cutting down the new shoots and start spraying the cut saplings with roundup.

I sawed some lumber from some BP's that my brother cut. It looks really good!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  I could probably saw something out of one of the trees I cut down.  I will look into harvesting a log this week.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

From what I've read pear wood is great for wood turning, carving, and making some musical instruments. Particularly wood flutes and the inside of harmonicas, as it holds up well to "mouth moisture".  :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

most all fruit and nut woods are good for smoking.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

Wonder what the ballistics are for a muzzleloader ramrod pushed out of the barrel by a 250 grain bullet and 90 grains of Pyrodex?  

Answer - Nobody knows, they can't find the ramrod!  

Dumb and painful!   If you are going to be dumb, you better be tough!  (Old yet very true saying)

Inspection of the rifle proved it to be fine!  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

caveman

DanG, you need to put an expandable broadhead on your ramrod, so you'll have a chance to take down a deer with it.  Most of the dumb things I do hurt or are expensive or both.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

I'm still looking for mine too. Mine was fiberglass and I assume it just shattered. ML still shoots fine and actually I shoot better groups with it than with my 30-06.Killed a nice doe with it last December at about 80 yards.

What's up with the band-aid? Mine was a non-event; just never found the ramrod and had to replace it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Nuttin wrong with Ted exceptin he is ugly and trying to imitate me.  

Y'all know I'm his hero.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Ted,
Maybe your wife can put some silver and black paint on the bandaid to camouflage it!
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

chet

Ted,  I was just wonder'n did anything hit what you was aiming at. ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

Was it an African or European ram rod?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

Looks like an ad for those nose strips to reduce snoring... smiley_sleeping   ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

am a Lynn Davis fan for sure!   :D

The bullet missed the paper target but hit the edge of the  board it was mounted on. The shot might have killed a deer if it was facing to the right.  That's the trick anyway isn't it?

For full disclosure, I'm thinking it must have been a European ramrod- Spanish made.  Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 caliber.

The rifle kicked like yearling bull in the head gate just before becoming a steer!  Let's say I now have first hand experience with both dumb things so I'm entitled to compare them  :o  He still became a steer shortly after that kick, I was a younger man then. 

Generally, the rifle recoil is relatively mild,   Besides the pain on the bridge of my nose, it took a while to figure out what went wrong. 

I have a semicircular gash the shape of a Redfield 3x9 scope eye piece on my nose.  Might have black ryes in the a.m.  

The bandaid remains in place to prevent bleeding. It is bad enough but the headache continues the reminder.  It was bad enough to take away my enthusiasm for a Sunday evening hunt!

My son took a shot yesterday with his ML and missed an 8 point.  We were sighting his in and correcting the 12" error to the left.  I thought I would check mine.  It was within the 2" ring at 100 yards after the first shot.  

The third shot is where I went wrong.  I like to take three shots minimum when checking a rifle. I didn't make any adjustments but as you know I had to reload between all shots.  

Obviously, I had the same mental lapse that makes us do things like leave a toe board up or saw into s back stop.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

TimW

Ted wrote.................. I have a semicircular gash the shape of a Redfield 3x9 scope eye piece on my nose.

I would get that from my Redfield widefield 3x9 when I didn't grip my 7MM Remington tight enough.  But closer to the eye, on the edge of my nose.  Each year I would check zero with one shot.  3 shots would bruise my shoulder up bad.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

That reminds me of Sean Connery on the Untouchables "You checked it once now put it away." ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Sawyer Ted, Lynn, Howard, & who ever else feels they should be added:
If you fellows are running a high hydraulic internal pressure (aka blood pressure) and feel a need to reduce it, Doc H has a thread (I gave blood today) where he does it without a lot of pain and messyness.  Oh and the blood banks are waiting for you.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

GAB,

May the fleas from a thousand camels infest your tent! :D
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

It's been said here before, but apparently bears repeating: Folks, this isn't a competition. ;D >:(
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 06, 2023, 08:25:05 AM
GAB,

May the fleas from a thousand camels infest your tent! :D
Howard:
Send them over I have some woodchuck sulfer bombs and one would be sufficient for them little buggers.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

K-Guy

Quote from: doc henderson on November 05, 2023, 04:35:32 AMmost all fruit and nut woods are good for smoking

I find they don't roll up well in my papers!!! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Andries

Tom; they're not reading or listening to you.
The boys are thoroughly enjoying their race to the bloody bottom.
😁
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Nebraska

Geez I just picked up a different rifle to try out....now I'm nervous.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on November 05, 2023, 09:17:31 PM
Was it an African or European ram rod?  ;D

I don't think Monty Python ever answered which was  faster.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GAB

Quote from: K-Guy on November 06, 2023, 08:57:45 AM
Quote from: doc henderson on November 05, 2023, 04:35:32 AMmost all fruit and nut woods are good for smoking
I find they don't roll up well in my papers!!! smiley_jester
For rolling purposes you need to saw very very slowly while collecting the sawdust and use that in your papers.
Try it you might like it.
GAB

Thank You Sponsors!