iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB, JJ and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

cutterboy

Tom, I had the same two holes in my stove gloves. I finally threw them away two days ago after I burned my middle finger on the hot ash pan.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

I was out doing errands today. Stopped at the saw shop to get a case of bar oil. Remembered I needed a new bar for one of my H 372s. So I gut that too. I get home get in the saw shop, look up, And there are 3 new bars hanging on a nail. Now I have 4. :D :D ::) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nebraska

Meh, that's just preparedness.. :)

Peter Drouin

Two weeks before I did buy a role of chain and tools to make my own. I think lm set now for a while. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

Well, this one was potentially life threatening.  I have been working nights.  the past few nights I wake up at 3 am and cannot go back to sleep until 7 am and I feel overwhelmingly tired.  that has been my bedtime.  also falling asleep and cannot keep my eyes open at 9 pm.  So finally, I slept till 06:40 and woke up in a panic thinking it was Fryday and I had a 7 am meeting.  nope it is Saturday.  So happy I slept through the night but still sleepy, I decided to complete the transition to days and the little shitzoo dog (spelling may or may not have been in error) heard me up so started the bark to go outside.  So, I went down to let the dogs out and thought, I better stay up, so went to get coffee.  My Yeti is clean so I thought I would save that for later and use a Trappers rendezvous cup.  most of the cups on the little shelf rack I had made, are my wife's cups.  I used my FF cup yesterday.  So, I plunked the cup in the spot on the Keurig and choose dunkin donut coffee.  hit the settings and go.  I went to let the dogs back in and give a treat.  (that is the main reason the little dog wants to go out so early).  When I returned the machine had way overfilled my cup.  It fills to the top sometimes if I choose 10 ounces but does not overfill.  We resisted getting one of these machines for years due to cost.  We realized finally that I like stronger coffee than my wife, and we always throw out half the pot anyway.  We are on our 4th machine as they do not last forever, and some are easier to use than others.  This time it overfilled the cup and looked like a ton of coffee on the floor.  This machine tells you when it is low on water, and has choices for temp, strength and volume of coffee.  So, I thought "Crap" this new machine is already fouled up, and not dispensing the proper amount of coffee.  So, i started to clean up.  the coffee seemed weak as I thought it must of really worn out the grounds.  I could see through the coffee to the bottom of the cup.  I carefully lifted the cup as full as it could be and moved it to the sink to dump the coffee and start over.  There was only a few CCs to dump.  I had placed the cup upside down.  the recess on the bottom held all the coffee it could hold, and the rest ran over onto the countertop, down the cabinet face and onto the concrete stamped floor.  The same floor my wife complains about being so hard to clean, and that she just cleaned for the bunko party, and in a week, we have the ED party.  I cleaned it up as best I could, but we will see what my wife says when she is up.  She may kill me. :snowball: 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I have been killed so many times, I have lost count.  ;D
As least you put the cup in. 
I made coffee once and forgot to put the pot into the coffee maker.   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TroyC

Well Doc, good luck! As we all know, a man can never clean as well as a woman, no matter how many times or how well we do it.

Quote:
"I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow Doc, that is funny! (sorry, too soon? ;D)

We use a farberware perk pot and set it up the night before and it goes off on a timer around 4:30am. My wife has taken this duty on for years and it gets to be such a routine you don't even pay attention to what your hands are doing most times. About one a year, she would forget to put the cover on the pot and I would get up in the morning and find coffee all over the counter and floor, everything within 3' had to be cleaned but he worst part is you have to make coffee first because there ain't none.
 A few times she has forgotten to put coffees in the becket, which makes for a really thin cup of coffee. ;D Other times she has overfilled the water and the grounds will steep all night, making for  pretty strong brew in the morning. Since She here knee injury I have been taking care of more of the kitchen chores and it has kind of stuck. Making coffee is one of those chores I get done right after dinner and I am finding the coffee is much more consistent each day.
 You can mess with a lot of things, but messing with my coffee is a shooting offence. No coffee, no workie. ;D :D
 I hope you survive the aftermath ands she just laughs hysterically then punishes you by sharing it with everyone she knows, loudly, over the phone, while you are in earshot. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old saw fixer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2023, 08:58:10 AM
I have been killed so many times, I have lost count.  ;D
As least you put the cup in.
I made coffee once and forgot to put the pot into the coffee maker.   :o
I have done the same thing! 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

sawguy21

:D You guys are not alone. I have been known to pour the water in and turn on the machine without putting the pot on. I have also neglected to put the coffee in the filter. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

I just stay dead, it saves her time...
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

I was going to say, maybe I should not make coffee till my eyes are open, but that is counterintuitive.!   :o :o :o  :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

I'm too young to drink coffee.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 02, 2023, 03:20:07 PM
I just stay dead, it saves her time...
Now that there is funny.  I don't care who you are!
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Nebraska

My wife's morning schedule is about 20 mins ahead of mine. She starts with coffee, we have a kurig as well. I use it to heat my water for the Tea I start with. She takes some delight in watching me occasionally make cofftea with the spent cartridge left in the machine... ::)

Jim_Rogers

Well, this story should be titled "something dumb happened to me."

Yesterday, I drove west some 4 hours to meet up with a timber framer and look at his just completed timber frame building.

About 1 mile from the site, I stopped to use the restroom in a gas station.

My phone died and wouldn't turn back on.

So, no GPS, no way to call him, as I didn't write down his phone number on any paper I brought with me.

I managed to find him by just trying to remember the way to his site, as I had been there once before.

We had a nice visit, and I was upset that I couldn't take any pictures of his frame to show you all.

After our lunch meeting, he helped me find a phone store (in the mall) some miles away on my way home.

So, off I went without any GPS to guide me.

I managed to find several "malls" on that road, but after driving around a while I found the Bass Pro shop that the store was supposed to be next too. I talked to a Bass pro shop service guy who was outside having a smoke. And he told me where the store was, where to park and enter the mall. Not far from where we were.

I had to get a new phone, as the tech there couldn't restart my old phone, either.

After a few minutes of setting up my accounts, I managed to get the GPS to turn on and find my way home.

I've been all morning trying to get all the "lost apps" re-installed on the new phone.

Not much fun at all.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

So, there's a lot more to the story today.

After having this new phone plugged in at my desk for 4 hours the battery level never went up, down a few percent.

I traveled to the local spectrum store and had them plug it in with their charger cord. The batter level came up while I was there. She checked for "background" running apps to have them all shut off to not drain the battery.

They don't fix phones. They don't even take them in to send out to be fixed at any service center. She told me of a store nearby that fixes phones.

I went over there and come to find out that my old phone (which I thought was 100% full battery) was zero battery. She plugged it in, and it started charging. I told her the whole story about my old phone not turning on.

She checked my in-car phone wire, and said it was fine. However, the thing it plugs into, for using in a cigarette lighter port was junk. She sold me a new one with a lifetime warrantee.

My old phone is fine just the battery was dead, not the phone. She charged it up enough to transfer all my pictures to the new phone.

At my desk, I have changed the wire port to a different one and the new phone is charging now.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

KenMac

Technology is a wonderful thing.......when it works! :D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

doc henderson

Just spent most of today with a buddy updating firmware for the router and extender.  been resetting the router twice a day for a week.

Ianab

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 06, 2023, 04:51:03 PMMy old phone is fine just the battery was dead, not the phone. She charged it up enough to transfer all my pictures to the new phone.

Probably a thing the phone designers haven't considered. If you stick your phone in your sawdust filled pants pocket, sawdust eventually ends up in the USB charging port. Then the plug doesn't go all the way in... Might be enough to beep the first time, then when you put the phone down it loses contact.

Luckily the little SIM eject tool that Samsung supply with the phone is fine enough to flick sawdust out of the port, and problem solved.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nebraska

I need to replace my phone and it's moderately terrifying. Thinking about quitting Android and going I phone...

Ianab

Quote from: Nebraska on December 06, 2023, 11:56:13 PM
I need to replace my phone and it's moderately terrifying. Thinking about quitting Android and going I phone...

If your Android phone is synced to a Google account (yeah I know - big brother etc) then the change over is simple.   Get new phone, sign into your account again, and let it sync. All your pictures and contacts, and even apps appear again. But make sure those are backed up to Google before you get the new phone.

Changing the whole ecosystem is what would be scary. Swapping phones with Apple is the same, just your data is on Apple's server. To swap you have to learn a new phone phone system, AND get your data transferred.

My current phone is an older midrange Samsung. Lil was given it as a promotion when she bought a new High-end unit. That was OK, it was better then my old phone, so I grabbed it.  I got it all set up and we set off on holiday. We got 4 hours down the road and it threw a fit, and wouldn't reboot. As we had stopped for lunch, we notice a Vodafone store nearby. Took the phone in, they confirmed it was faulty, and after a few minutes of faffing about, just gave us a new one. Popped my sim in it, and let it sync. All my info and pictures had come back.

I'm sure an Apple phone would act the same way, IF you were synced to an Apple account.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

rusticretreater

With a google based phone you can buy from any of the phone makers.  With an i-phone you are hooked into a proprietary supplier, you are stuck with their decisions and they suck the money out of you.  My daughter talks of this alot.  She says they literally force you into purchasing new phones every 2-3 years.

I would suggest you do a deep dive into the i-phone and what their "policies" are.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

firefighter ontheside

Very often my 13 year old will ask if I put the cup under the keurig as my coffee is making.  The reason he asks that is the number of times I have turned it on without putting the cup under there.  Luckily for me the little tray underneath has been large enough to hold the coffee.  I only make one normal sized cup of coffee.  I imagine if I tried the larger size it would overfill the tray.  That reminds me...I need to go make my coffee.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

My kids are being scattered about with the winds of time. They are all on I phones. Kind of nice to see their face sometimes when they call... But yeah I get the nickle and dime stuff from Apple..

Thank You Sponsors!