iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I have had an employee take me back to an item I walked right by 3 times.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Resonator

A buddy of mines' son is a manager at a Wal Mart, he has had many interesting customer stories from the years he's worked there. Once he was in the sporting goods department and someone asked where to find the left handed baseball bats. He told them they'd find them right next to the dehydrated water. :)
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

firefighter ontheside

I walked around the area by my mill today for about a minute looking for my tape measure.  I found it in my hand.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sod saw

Only one Minute?

That would be way less than normal around here!

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

SawyerTed

This time of year my tapes hide in my pockets.   Tuesday I went to the truck to get a tape because I couldn't find one in the shop.  That's when I realized I had the two from the shop in my pocket  and the third one didn't fit.   ::)
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

cutterboy

I don't know how many times I looked for my hat while I was wearing it.
"Honey, have you seen my hat?"
"Yes, it's on top of your head" ::)
"oh"
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 21, 2023, 06:10:22 AM
This time of year my tapes hide in my pockets.   Tuesday I went to the truck to get a tape because I couldn't find one in the shop.  That's when I realized I had the two from the shop in my pocket  and the third one didn't fit.   ::)

Ted:
Sorry to hear about your fidn't dit situation.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

btulloh

Well I feel better now after seeing the last couple posts. I thought I was the only one that ever did those kinds of things.
HM126

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

When the tow strap you lost decides to reappear and wrap itself around a cultivator point, all without alerting you to its reappearance .

Then it makes its presence known by getting run over by the rear tire.   Said tow strap stopped the tractor from going forward. 

Operator took a moment to determine the malfunction.   :D

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

For a long time it seemed as is I not only did not have a tape measure handy when I should have, but that I also couldn't even find one easily. So I started buying tapes when I saw a decent one at a decent price, and never the same kind, but sometimes buying a two-fer deal. Then one day I bought a small Milwaukee 6' tape that fit easily in a pocket. I liked it but at $7.00 or so per, I didn't want to buy a bunch of them. Then HF started selling basically the same small 6' tape for 3 bucks or so. Each time I was in the store I bought one until I had enough to have one on almost every bench and major machine in the shop so one is always within reach, and that Milwaukee hangs on my back pocket belt loop, unnoticed until needed. I usually don't even unhook it, just pull out the tape, measure a board thickness or what ever and let it go.
But now I am finding that those little HF ones are bunching up at one end of the shop and I will find 3 by the table saw and none over by the finishing bench. I think they have little nocturnal legs. ;D
Last week I spent 3 minutes looking for where I had JUST laid down my safety glasses, not only were they on my head, but they were over my eyes too. Now, that ain't right. :D

Ted I feel for ya on things we don't notice until they bite us. An hour ago I was at the mill and I never leave the loading arms up unless I am actively cutting and sliding slabs onto them. Bill has a habit of always leaving the loading arms up about 4-6" off the ground so that when he bring in logs and rolls them onto the deck, they don't roll up on the arms and allow to stack to jam up tight. Well today I forgot to lower them and I was at the far end of the bed, turned to walk back to the head and whacked my shin right into the point on the loading arm. Now I have a new hole to nurse in my leg, but those stars were sure pretty for a little while. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

rusticretreater

Guess I have a ways to go until I measure up to you guys.  Bah dum dum shing!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

Yes Rusti, that is the "rule"!  ba dup chssss.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I'm trying to figure out how to add a block heater to my backhoe so it'll start when it gets good and cold out. Yesterday I finally remembered to take it out of the barn and into the sun so I could take a few pictures of the engine so I could ask for assistance in where the block heater would go (I'm still confused). Well, I reversed the backhoe out of the barn into the sun, yanked up the parking brake and raised the loader, so I could see the engine better. I even remembered the safety stop so the loader could crash down on top of me! I then went to the passenger side and pulled off the engine cover, to see the throttle linkage or whatever it's called that you can rev the engine with at the engine. The engine was a little cold and I goosed it a bit and I noticed the machine lurch a little, hmm, that's weird. Oh crud! It's still in reverse! I went around and sure enough. The parking brake did its job.

Luckily, I was standing in front of the front tire, so it wouldn't have easily run me over, but also luckily I didn't put it in forward gear, that could have gotten bad quickly.

Uh, I got lucky.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

trapper

After skinning our deer I brought the skinning plyers (the ones a foot long with a block with teeth in them) to clean them for next year STILL LOOKING
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

SawyerTed

Quote from: rusticretreater on December 21, 2023, 01:05:05 PM
Guess I have a ways to go until I measure up to you guys.  Bah dum dum shing!

Some of us have gone to great lengths to get to this scale of dumb!  :D :D

Old Greenhorn

Indeed Ted, our efforts are truly immeasurable.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Did the tape measure thing the other day only with my ear muffs.  Stood there looking all around for them @Wudman was standing 2' away from me watching me mumble and fumble, found them on my left wrist....  Turns out the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

My turn again. Only this time I saved up for it.

A while back I had to rebuild the engine in my bx25 kubota when I lost a rod bearing.  Yesterday, it would not start a few minutes after I used it.  I noticed that sometimes I had power when I turned the key and other times I didn't.  Opened the hood and wiggled some wires and power was restored.  So I'm thinking that a got a wiring problem.

Checking things, I found power at the starter and could hear and feel the solenoid move, but the bendix didn't extend and make the motor engage the flywheel.  Now I'm a guy who will take the starter apart and take a peek inside.  Especially when a big $$ part is involved.  I find nothing wrong.  I cleaned the contacts off.

I put it back on. While I was putting it back on I noticed that another wire that connects on the same terminal the battery cable attaches too had gotten pulled back inside the boot that covers the connection.  I had missed putting it back on during the engine rebuild.  It had worked all this time until it finally gotten vibrated out of contact with the terminal.  Still would not start.  I jumped the starter directly to see if the motor was good.  The solenoid would work, but still the bendix would not extend.  In frustration, I jumpered it a bunch of times in succession. Suddenly the solenoid fully extended the bendix and the engine started.  YAY!

I hopped on the kubota and revved it a bit, moved the bucket up and then down, crushing the plastic wrap around cowl for the engine.  Its made of horrible brittle plastic, but hey, it was kinda in one piece.  Now my engine has great flow through air cooling.  I think a replacement one is $300 or so.

Thanks for reading!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

doc henderson

well, I wish our comments were retractable, and I am glad they are not on tape!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

terrifictimbersllc

I just read the last 2 pages of this and am now almost out of time to read my paper. Thats my contribution for today.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Machinebuilder

This is much more entertaining (and useful) than any "news" in the paper

On the tape measure thing, I know I have at least 6, I still walk around looking for the one I just used  :-[
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

doc henderson

I have a shelf and rarely put them back.  I leave one on each saw including the mill under cover.  when I put them all back, I would measure them in linear feet but cannot find a tape.   :) :) :)

We follow that comedian.  he is clean and talks family, mostly makes fun of himself.  His daughter often introduces him.

Andries

I clicked on the link for Washington's Dream -  SNL and got this:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"
Corporate Shareholder Earnings and Canadian Law are clashing - that's the Dumb thing in my day.
👎
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!