Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Sixacresand

.  G
Rotten pecan log.  Nice solid heart.   

Yielded over 300 BdFt including several 5/4 x 12 x 18' pieces.

Didn't think I could do the job with a T7 resharp, but it worked well.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I also see that you used your Magic Hook to help load it.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Working on the 2x order. First for me. Finished the 8', and a nice whack of 12' on the deck.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Dave, it's interesting for me to see that not everyone saws framing lumber which is well over 90% of my sawing jobs.  Mine is also nearly 100% store dimension.  I can only recall 2-3 jobs that were full size.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I think it's just not very cost effective, especially in a house. We have a native lumber law, but the building inspector has to approve, and this one is actually all for it. Availability and cost may influence that. This person's grandfather, Bud, had a Wood-Mizer, supposedly delivered by Don Laskowsky himself, in 1982 or 83. He saw an ad in Popular Mechanics, called them up and bought one. :D Bud is almost entirely responsible for me owning a Wood-Mizer. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I lost count and have no idea how many "whole houses" I have sawed the framing lumber for.  My present job is the 4th this year.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2022, 02:36:09 PM
I also see that you used your Magic Hook to help load it.  8)
Thanks for noticing.  Some of us are teachable.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I may have broken a daily sawing record for me today sawing framing lumber.   :o

2688 bf of 16 foot 2X6's and probably a dozen 2X4's.  Just me and a 60's customer and a 70's tailgunner.  The two college student "stackers" came just as I was leaving at 4:30. 

We plan to saw tomorrow and Saturday which will put me in a "git-a-long" getting ready for our Project trip.  Due to family commitments we can not leave until next Thursday which will put us there at noon-ish Friday

doc henderson

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dave Shepard

I finished the first load of framing lumber today. 4,314 total, with 1,786 done today. 

Magicman

Looks like you are clicking right along Dave.   8)

Dave Shepard

Yes, had a good couple of days after a few false starts.  :)

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
I may have broken a daily sawing record for me today sawing framing lumber.   :o

2688 bf of 16 foot 2X6's and probably a dozen 2X4's.  Just me and a 60's customer and a 70's tailgunner.  The two college student "stackers" came just as I was leaving at 4:30.  

We plan to saw tomorrow and Saturday which will put me in a "git-a-long" getting ready for our Project trip.  Due to family commitments we can not leave until next Thursday which will put us there at noon-ish Friday
Just curious, about how many logs were used to get that many board ft?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Magicman

Happy Birthday.  :)

I have no idea how many logs hit the deck. ??  The customer was bringing the 16' logs to the sawmill with an excavator and keeping 2-3 ready to roll onto the loader arms.  Yesterday's logs ranged from ~10" to ~22" top.  The customer told his wife that I was about to kill him.  :D

Today's productivity will not be as good because most of the logs will be 10'.  He is saving the next round of 16 footers for Saturday when he will have the college students back for tailgunners.  ;D

olcowhand

Quote from: fluidpowerpro on March 31, 2022, 11:04:17 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 31, 2022, 08:35:04 PM
I may have broken a daily sawing record for me today sawing framing lumber.   :o

2688 bf of 16 foot 2X6's and probably a dozen 2X4's.  Just me and a 60's customer and a 70's tailgunner.  The two college student "stackers" came just as I was leaving at 4:30.  

We plan to saw tomorrow and Saturday which will put me in a "git-a-long" getting ready for our Project trip.  Due to family commitments we can not leave until next Thursday which will put us there at noon-ish Friday
Just curious, about how many logs were used to get that many board ft?
Happy Birthday!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on April 01, 2022, 07:03:03 AMThe customer was bringing the 16' logs to the sawmill with an excavator
I started out sawing 10' logs this morning until...

The customer spoiled my 10' party with more 16 footers. 

I sawed more actual boards today but less board feet because of the 10' logs.  I will have a final tally tomorrow which will close out this portion of this job.  We will then decide whether to leave the sawmill or move it home.

burdman_22

So....I've not been able to purchase a sawmill, though I've thought several times I had one lined up...so I am still paying for mobile sawing to be done for me. Some pictures of a few boards from a day of milling last weekend.

The majority of this stuff I've been milling to use on my cabin walls. I'll be doing 1x6 paneling on my interior walls, for the bottom 3.5 feet or so, then painted drywall for the rest of the walls above.

hickory 1x6s

This little guy was hiding in my sweet gum. Anyone have idea what it turns into? 

Sweet gum 1x12s.

Got a few sweet gum 1x20s as well...I may use them for a head board...not really sure, I just love wide boards. If anything ill rip it down.

Sweet gum 1x12s out of a different log. I like the heartwood in these boards a lot.

So these boards were from what I believe was a shag bark hickory from a coworkers yard. He said it was hickory...the tree looked like shag bark hickory...but the wood is much darker than I've seen from hickory. There was some shake, but with the unique (to me) color, I rolled the dice.

We also milled some poplar and red oak for a couple of my friends. Overall we milled about 1800 bd ft of hickory, maple, sweet gum, red oak, and poplar. A friend of mine had two red oak logs...and a total of 7 nails in those two logs...which slowed us down a bit, but overall I think everyone was happy. It was my friends first time getting wood milled for them, so I know they were both super excited to have a bunch of super cheap lumber for future projects.

beenthere

burdman

Nice neat stacks of sawn wood there.  

How soon do you think you will get that lumber up on stickers? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Sweetgum has spiral grain so your wide sweetgum boards will have a strong propensity to warp and twist.  Best stack them first on the bottom of the stack and use the weight of the other boards stacked in subsequent layers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

burdman_22

It will probably be stickered in a week or so. I am having to move from Alabama to Florida in July, so I am hauling all of my wood to Kentucky on Friday. I've got a tractor trailer with a 53 ft bed coming on Friday so I can load it all up.

Do folks think it will be ok not stickered until then? I'd hate to sticker it all, then unstuck it to load on the truck, then sticker again the following week in ky :/

burdman_22

@WDH yeah the sweet gum will be on the bottom and I've got about 1000 bd ft of air dried oak that will be on top smooshing it down

rusticretreater

Sticker it, then band it tightly.  Make sure there is a raised bed for a forklift to get under it with no problems.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

firefighter ontheside

Sawing cedar for a customer this morning.  There was some pretty wood coming off the mill.  I had to catch my breath after the blade broke on me.  That has only happened  a handful of times in 5 years of owning the mill.  Still startles ya.  My idle side belt ended up with a little damage.  Still works, but I better get some new ones coming.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

burdman_22

@rusticretreater it might be too late to sticker now, but we'll see. We have a lot of work to get done before Friday and I'm not sure we will have time to sticker before loading.

We are milling an oak into live edge slabs next week. It ranges from about 4.5 ft in diameter to about 7 ft in diameter, which will take us multiple days, plus I still have a lot of wood I have to load up and transport to the location I'm loading at on friday

Thank You Sponsors!