iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

“Board foot”

Started by Osterman.r, October 09, 2022, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osterman.r

Good evening guys, i have been sawing and selling quite a bit of lumber recently. Every order up until today has been dimensional. Today somebody asked for 1.5"x3.5" lumber. Do I charge them for 2"x4"? Or do I charge them for 1.5"x3.5"?

Also kind of on the same subject, I have 8' 10' 12' 14' and 16' logs in my log yard. Say somebody calls looking for an 8x8 beam 11 feet long, do I charge them for an 8x8x11? Or for an 8x8x12?
All of this based off of               Thickness x Width x Length / 12 = Board Feet
1" T x 12" W x 1' L / 12 = 1 Board Foot

47sawdust

IMO charge full freight.
11' is 12 '
1.5x3.5 is 2x4
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

This topic should create many different views and opinions.  :D

I keep it simple and in 20 years of custom sawing and over 3MMbf, I have never been questioned nor disagreed with by a customer. 

That stated, I so not sell anything except a sawing service.  Actual dimensions and store bought are sawed at the same rate and all logs are scaled to the closest even footage, whether up or down.

My sawing contract clearly describes the above method of scaling.  "Flat" lumber is almost always sawed full dimension and framing lumber is 99%+ sawed factory dimension.  I doubt that I have sawed full sized framing lumber over 5-6 times and those were when a customer was matching old lumber on a renovation project.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

I agree, charge for full even lengths.  Not charging for full length penalizes you because of the waste required for odd lengths.  Don't give away board feet or eat the waste cost.

I'd say on dimensional vs nominal (1.5x3.5) it's your call.  Because 1.5x3.5 actually increases yield from a log over full 2x4, charging based on actual doesn't hurt you if you are providing logs. It's fair to the customer if sawing their logs.   But it's done both ways.

Ultimately it's what you and your customer agree to before the blade hits the first log.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

Odd lengths are allowed in hardwoods, in soft it is even or 2' increments. 1 1/2" is 1 1/2" rough cut. If it was dressed and 1 1/2" thick it would be called and charged for @ 2". The 3 1/2" width, because it is rough is 3 1/2" not 4". These are traditions and I think you should follow them. But what you charge is strictly your doing.

Deese

My 82 year old granddaddy has told me many times "There is nothing more important than a good understanding". 

Be direct and clear with your customer, no matter how busy you are. Assuming he/she understands your way of doing business is a guaranteed way to create problems with someone down the road. It's just a matter of time. 

It's incredibly simple. I charge the customer for what he asks for regarding width/thickness. On length, well...they are your logs. You cannot give them away if you wish to make money and continue sawing. If a customer wants 12' lengths but I only have 16' at that time, be up front with him. Tell him you must charge him for 16' material or he can wait until you get more 12' or 24'(25') logs delivered. 

Charge extra if they want air dried lumber. You shouldn't sticker lumber for free. Just my opinion. 
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Cedarman

I charge for the actual dimension.  For length, we keep a lot of tree length cedar on hand so 11', 13' is not a problem.  Normally.  But if someone wants 13' and all I have is 14', then I let them know the charge is for 14'.  I normally quote a material list, so I price by the individual piece, but will tell them board foot costs if they ask.
Random width is board foot price.  Under 1" is square foot price.
I charge based on 1" actual.  If someone wants 1 1/8", then it is 1 1/8 times board foot price.
Not giving that 1/8" away.  At $2.40 per board foot, you are looking at an extra $.30 per board foot.
As  Deese said, make sure customer understands how you are charging and be clear on what they want.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bigblockyeti

This seems pretty cut and dry for dimensional lumber.  What about unique shapes or do you cut only straight lumber?  I cut a lot of crotch wood for benches and table tops.  It might be 24" wide at one end and only 10"-12" at the other so this is typically something I'll put a random price on based on how it looks and a very conservative calculation of the bdft quantity.  I know I'm selling myself short but I'm not sure if there's a better way for unique pieces.

WV Sawmiller

Do you have a published rate? If so that is what I would charge, I bill 1.5" as 6/4 lumber.

If I already had the 12' log in stock I'd cut the 8X8 and bill it as 12' and tell him it required a 12' log. In my case I would probably have to cut a tree and I could cut an 11' log and bill it as 11' without any loss.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Quote from: bigblockyeti on October 10, 2022, 06:59:42 AM
This seems pretty cut and dry for dimensional lumber.  What about unique shapes or do you cut only straight lumber?  I cut a lot of crotch wood for benches and table tops.  It might be 24" wide at one end and only 10"-12" at the other so this is typically something I'll put a random price on based on how it looks and a very conservative calculation of the bdft quantity.  I know I'm selling myself short but I'm not sure if there's a better way for unique pieces.
The traditional rules are for traditional sizes and when there has been no discussion between the seller and the buyer. That's why there has to be rules, so you can quote a price and go rather than talk all day. Anything out of the ordinary the seller prices as he wants not by any scale. I price live edge thick and wide by what I know someone will pay for that individual piece.

doc henderson

@Cedarman what are you charging per board foot for custom sawn cedar?  I have an order I finished after the "customer" has waited 8 months or so, till I got more logs. He wanted 10 full size 2 x 4 by 9 foot, and 20 full size 1 x 6 by 8 feet.  I over filled the order as ERC can be less than perfect.  I thought I would charge him full price for the order he placed by the board foot, and throw in some extra, or a lesser price for the lot.  This is a friend of a friend and I want to be fair.  but this is not a favor for a friend of mine.  I quoted customer as I am a hobby guy, but do not mind getting a fair price to offset my cost and time.

In part the outside cull boards are to protect the best heartwood boards inside. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

i also know that yield on ERC is less than other logs due to natural defects and "lobulations" in the tree/log.  Is it 33% reduction in yield?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

If I was cedarman, id only answer that question in private then only maybe. Different customers may have different prices based on different criteria, such as a difficult customer rate, a buddy rate, or any other subjective reasons known only to the seller.  

At our mill, we had a "if you call and ask for prices with a German accent" rate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

good point,  as a hobby guy I do not charge max, and often get extra anyway.  I thought it fit with the thread, at least the % off for ERC part, but will see via a PM if he is more comfortable.  Just trying to be fair, but a good and valid point Jeff, thanks.  Danke.

47sawdust

Was that German accent a good thing or a bad thing?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

doc henderson

I bet it was not good!   :D

Peter Drouin

Charging for air will get you way ahead on $$$ and BF.
2x4x8 = 5.3 BF 1 1/2x 3 1/2x8 = 3.5 BF
If you cut 100 with air, you're 180 BF ahead for free $$$
Here at A&P saw Mill, we charge for what it is. If someone wants 3/4" I just adjust the $$ for sawing or selling.
I don't charge for air.
You might get 2 customers, one wants box store size, the other wants full size. If they meet and see, they paid the same for the wood. It will look bad on you, even if you said. I cut air and charge full size.
I only have even numbered logs and sell that way. Sawing there's If it's 13' they get charge the extra foot.
I just don't feel good about it.  But do what you want, and good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: 47sawdust on October 10, 2022, 04:18:12 PM
Was that German accent a good thing or a bad thing?
They only called to see what we were charging so they could charge less. Non of the overhead an english sawmill has. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Deese

I made a mistake this afternoon. A customer pulled in late this evening just before dark with three 18' bald cypress logs. He asked what I charged and I gave him the BF price. He said okay I want as many 1/2"x8"x18's as you can get and without thinking I said no problem. It was getting dark and we both were ready to go home. 

I rarely...almost never get requests for 1/2" thick lumber. I didn't realize my error until I got home. Twice as many passes through the log. Twice as much fuel. Twice as much time....etc. I'm just glad that it's only three 14"-18" diameter logs and not thirty three logs. 

I don't think I would have doubled my BF rate but possibly an increase of 25%-35%. However, logically speaking, double the work and double the cost of operating validates doubling the bf rate...

What are your thoughts? 
Charging by the hour? Absolutely not. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

LeeB

Typically anything under 1" is charged at the 1" price. For 1/2" thickness a 5 BF board would be charges as 10 BF, same as if it were 1" thick. I saw only by the hour so thinner costs more per BF.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Deese

That sounds about right I reckon'. 
Or charge per square foot like cedar man. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

LeeB

Would work out the same. 1 BF of 1" would 1 SF.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Deese

LeeB, I believe my last couple posts on this thread is a clear sign that it's time for Deese to go to bed  smiley_smug01. I totally knew about charging anything under 1" as 1". 
"Knew" is the key word here. Calling my doctor tomorrow for a brain scan. Goodnight to all. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

LeeB

:D :D :D :D
Just wait. It gets worse the older you get.

Deese

Quote from: LeeB on October 11, 2022, 05:55:20 AM
:D :D :D :D
Just wait. It gets worse the older you get.

That's what I'm beginning to realize. Oh well. Everyone carry on. Nothing to see here.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!