iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Sawdust Burner . . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, January 22, 2007, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bioman

On the subject of poo,

Our experience is with chicken litter while testing a previous burner project as well as some limited testing in the Bio-Mizer earlier this year.  We have not tested with the latest enhancements.

Here's what we found.

Pure litter was about 21% ash.  It didn't burn well by itself and tended to slag badly.  Actual burning of the litter didn't smell too bad, but smell due to evaporation of the liquids before burning was significant.   

Given what we experience vs what we know now, I'm convinced it could be mixed with some kind of base fuel like sawdust and burned successfully in the Bio-Mizer.  I don't think we would have the same slagging problem.  We will be testing this again when we can fit it in, we've just been to busy lately.  We understand this option is significant and if poultry houses could burn poo mixed with another cheap fuel, they could save significantly while eliminating the problem of getting rid of the litter.  I know some areas are still able to get rid of the litter, but several areas are saturated and need other ways of getting rid of it.

Bioman

Farmerdoug,

Do you do any CO2 enriching in your greenhouses?

farmerdoug

Bioman,

Not currently.  But if the generator of yours works out I am tempted in growing tomatoes all winter with grow lights.  Then I will but adding CO2.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

ElectricAl,

Have you received the site plans yet?  Sent my deposit in yesterday so I guess I am just waiting on the mail now.

As for an alternative fuel I have been offered as much weed seeds as I can haul.  I am going to get some ready for the test burner when we get it and get it set up.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

Bioman

I'll have the site plans in the lounge this weekend.

jpgreen

Quote from: Greg Cook on December 05, 2007, 05:17:23 PM
Ronwood, 
We have ordered a 4024 Magnum inverter which has the ability to supply 240V without needing to piggyback another inverter. Supplying DC power to this will be 16 Unisolar 64 panels, which will (on paper) supply 1,024 watts of DC per hour. I'm wiring those at 48Vdc output which the charge controller will step down to 24 volts for the battery bank, eight Trojan L16's. 

Even if the co-gen system didn't put out 1 KW, you have the luxury of getting that 1 KW for 24 hours a day.  What I wonder is, supposing I want to run a Bio-Mizer in the summer for power, will I have to supply a heat sink to to absorb heat from the water and keep things running as they are designed?  Or will this be a cool-weather only power supply?

Thanks for the interest,

Greg

Very interested in the answer to his question...  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

okmulch

Hello everyone I am one of the lucky ones chosen for a biomizer unit.

most of you know my dad as cedarman. He's been telling me to get on here for a while and now I have a really good reason.

I am looking for some of the best equipment to install along with the biomizer. such as what coil system to use in my duct work or a free standing radiator.

any ideas would be helpful.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f, Tigercat 724g feller buncher

ronwood

okmulch,

Welcome to the forum. I bought my coil through the dealer that I bought my outdoor furnace. Other supplies came from the local hardware store. I am not sure if there is a lot of difference in the coils. Make sure you get one that is large enough to do the job.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

ElectricAl

Welcome OKMulch  smiley_wavy

We get our heat exchangers and pumps from our Central boiler dealer.

http://www.centralboiler.com/parts.html This will get you to the parts book (PDF).

Go over there to get ideas.

BioMan said a while back that they were going to try to supply the basic stuff for instulation.  I'm not sure how far they have gotten on that though. ::)

Again, welcome a board and enjoy the ride 8)

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

pineywoods

Welcome OKMulch.  I think I would stick an automotive radiator in the ductwork.. OK I'm cheap ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

farmerdoug

OKMulch,  Glad to have you aboard.  When I saw you sign up I was wondering if you were related to Cedarman.

ElectricAl is right.  CB has outstanding heat exchangers and accessories.  I am sure that Biomizer will have all of the accessories needed too.

What are you going to heat?

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

ElectricAl

FarmerDoug,

The check and paperwork go out to day ::)

The Ice Storm got us backed up on some stuff :-\
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bioman

Quote from: jpgreen on December 13, 2007, 12:58:59 PM
Quote from: Greg Cook on December 05, 2007, 05:17:23 PM
Ronwood, 
We have ordered a 4024 Magnum inverter which has the ability to supply 240V without needing to piggyback another inverter. Supplying DC power to this will be 16 Unisolar 64 panels, which will (on paper) supply 1,024 watts of DC per hour. I'm wiring those at 48Vdc output which the charge controller will step down to 24 volts for the battery bank, eight Trojan L16's. 

Even if the co-gen system didn't put out 1 KW, you have the luxury of getting that 1 KW for 24 hours a day.  What I wonder is, supposing I want to run a Bio-Mizer in the summer for power, will I have to supply a heat sink to to absorb heat from the water and keep things running as they are designed?  Or will this be a cool-weather only power supply?

Thanks for the interest,

Greg

Very interested in the answer to his question...  8)

I can tell you this much.  The cogen will have a built in hx to remove heat (that can be used for other applications year around, i.e. a kiln).  If you don't have need for the heat you dump it into the atmosphere.  If you have a source of cheap water like a flowing creek you can remove heat geo thermally.  The unit is designed to be used all year. 

Bioman

Welcome OKMulch,

We've struck up a relationship with Rick Jones who sells burners and supplies.  Maybe not the cheapest, be he's the open door for us to begin building OEM relationships so we can stock the supplies you guys will need. 

If interested you can check him out or call him.  Here's his web site.  http://www.stjosephky.com/

Furby

Quote from: Bioman on December 14, 2007, 11:31:56 AM
If you have a source of cheap water like a flowing creek you can remove heat geo thermally. 

I'd be real careful about doing that and even more careful about recommending it.
The EPA don't take too kindly to habit destruction, and rasing the temps of some streams, rivers, ponds, lakes and wetlands can have just that effect.
That's why power plants and such have huge regulations to follow.
Now I know it won't have much effect on some water supplies, but that won't stop the fines.

ronwood

Bioman,

Will the cogen unit only work with the Biomizer?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

okmulch

hey thanks for the warm welcome!

i will be heating my house at first. we have four zones in our house that as of right now we heat with heat pump, electric and gas heaters. one room which is very large does not heat well. so a radiator would probably be the best solution for it and then coils in the duct work for the remainder of the house.

i will be using the fines, needles and small pieces of mulch that are bi- product from our whole tree grinding of eastern red cedar trees.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f, Tigercat 724g feller buncher

slowzuki

Sounds like a good pool heater!  Extended seasons out to Dec 25 lol

[/quote]

I can tell you this much.  The cogen will have a built in hx to remove heat (that can be used for other applications year around, i.e. a kiln).  If you don't have need for the heat you dump it into the atmosphere.  If you have a source of cheap water like a flowing creek you can remove heat geo thermally.  The unit is designed to be used all year. 
[/quote]

farmerdoug

It maybe a hot pool if you are not careful. ::) :D :D :D :D :D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Fargo, MI

ElectricAl

Doug,

Hot tubbing while it is snowing is a blast as long as the wind is not blowing to hard. ;D

farmerdoug

Yes, But with the 30-35 MPH winds yesterday you would have been a frozen popsicle before you made it to the house. :o :o :o
Doug
Fargo, MI

WH_Conley

Bill

Furby

Yeah, if I had heat to waste and had a pool, I'd try running all winter.
Part of the fun is trying to make it back and forth when it's cold.
Sure makes the warm water and warm house feel even better! :)

Bioman

Ronwood,

We have no plans to make it compatable with other equipment.  I'm not sure what it would take to modify the other machines to make it work.  

Bioman

I'm kind of liking the hot tub idea.  I think we need to test that down here to ensure it would be a safe application for our customers.   ;)

Thank You Sponsors!