iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pig roast 2008

Started by mountaineer, March 29, 2008, 08:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

where is this pig roast going to be? any info on the website about it?  thx andy

Jeff

The pig roast is always the first Saturday in August. That means we usually start about thursday. :D   This year that Saturday falls on August 2.  The Pigroast is always here at Forestry Forum central in Harrison Mi.

You can see where that is on Wildflower's profile map.  (Mine points to the U.P., so that aint no help)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Jeff, are there places to set up a tent?  The Mrs has lots of family in Michigan and I've been thinking it'd be good for her to see them again real soon.  Flying from Alaska is so expensive, though, I'd like to get as much for our money as possible.  Anyhow, we'd have to do it 'on the cheap', which means tents and sleeping bags.  :)

(This is a pipe dream, at the moment but we'll see)

Jeff

Yep, we can make room for a tent. There are camp grounds all around us as well, but plenty of room here for a few tents.  Right now the only ones with reserved space is Kevin_H as his is always reserved.  :)

Warbird

Well, I just did some airfare pricing from Alaska to Michigan and nearly fainted.  What with saving to start a family, paying off debt, and keeping the house from falling apart, it ain't very likely we'll make this pig roast.  :(

Thanks tho, Jeff.  Your hospitality is remarkable.

asy

Hey Warbird,

Maybe you 'n' me'll make it to the SAME piggy roast....  In a few years time...   

Hopefully not tooooo many years time, though...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

olyman

Quote from: Jeff on March 29, 2008, 09:02:52 AM
The pig roast is always the first Saturday in August. That means we usually start about thursday. :D   This year that Saturday falls on August 2.  The Pigroast is always here at Forestry Forum central in Harrison Mi.

You can see where that is on Wildflower's profile map.  (Mine points to the U.P., so that aint no help)
man--your nearly in the middle of nowhere!!! its a solid 8 hr drive for us just to grand rapids. how much more time to you from there??

DanG

That ain't so bad, Olyman. ;)  I've made it 2 years in a row, all the way from Florida.  However far it is, it is definitely worth it! :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Quote from: olyman on March 31, 2008, 01:51:10 PM
...........  man--your nearly in the middle of nowhere!!! its a solid 8 hr drive for us just to grand rapids. how much more time to you from there??

Now, IA is the middle of nowhere....I've beenthere... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Mapquest says 11 hours for me, have to take the international route though.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: olyman on March 31, 2008, 01:51:10 PMman--your nearly in the middle of nowhere!!! its a solid 8 hr drive for us just to grand rapids. how much more time to you from there??

Not quite 2 hours

farmerdoug

Dave,  If you come through Port Huron, you will pass by me less than 20 miles to south. :)

Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Corley5

So Dave's gonna stop and pick ya up Doug  ???  8)  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Well, the home rebuilt transmission is going to have to make it that far, but I'll pick you up. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

farmerdoug

Or maybe I will have to pick you up. :D :D :D :D
Doug
Fargo, MI

Dave Shepard

Going to pull the trans out soon to assess the situation, might be taking a bus. ;)

Dave

WDH

Just do it ;D.  I hope to see y'all there.  If the creeks don't rise, I will be there for sure.  Furby and Stumpjumper cook some good pig, and if we can twist the arm of Paschale, there will be some treats too.  BBToms homemade maple syrup is reason enough to come. 

Food is a secondary excuse, not to mention the fellowship.  There will be some old southern  Florida/Georgia boys (DanG, all that Dodgy TOM foolery!), a tree farmer from Indiana, a mad french Canadian (sorry, Marcel!), a sprucebunny, a FatOldeElf, maybe a British Columbian with his beautiful little girls, a crowd of native Michiganers (a RedDog, a Farmer, and who knows who else like a prisoner from the UP), a cedar fanatic, a submariner, a Parttime Katydid, a funny Kentuckian who grew pigs, a DR from Virginia, one who has Beenthere, A Donkey from Alabama, a couple of Johns, a Sawyer from AR, a story teller from Missou, maybe a Ranger from Texas, two Iowans that I want to meet, a fine pennslyvanian lady with a cowboy that I want to meet, a Shepard from MA, A Cfarmer (what is the market for C's??), a donkey lost in the Swamp, a Coon, a Bird of War, a spinner of metal, a gargoyle from SC, a Raider from Tennessee, a bass fellow with a beard from Tennessee, a GotoverIT, a Bowler of Wood, a Customsawingdemon, a Burl man, some who Log Rite, some Mizers, a Reaper, maybe a lurker from Lanier, an Aussie SY Lady, an Ian NZ, a Burr from Timbur, a Toe Niche from Europe, a Swede, a King from Peru, an Italian, a Doppler Radar from Mississippi, Oh the list goes on.

Maybe someone will add to it ;D.

If you want to be expanded (food not-with-standing) then come!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

farmerdoug

Oh I plan on being there this year.  My problem is Saturdays are payday for the farm in the form of markets.  I am lining up help all ready for this year as last year bugged out on me. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

Jeff

QuoteFurby and Stumpjumper cook some good pig

AHHEM....

I'm the one and only forestry forum pig cook. I aint had anybody stay up with me the whole time yet! Stumpjumper and furby were two of the main characters on getting the current roaster built though.

WDH

Please let the record be noted.  Stumpjumper and Furby are just willing accomplices.  The Boss is the Head Hog cook ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Thank-you.  I take pride in da pig. ;)

Furby

What ya think?
Think it's good ???
Yeah, shut it off I'm going ta bed!
::) ::) ::) ::)

Jeff

I've never said shut it off I'm going to bed. I've went to bed for an hour while it was cooking though.  The pig has never been done before 5 in the morning.

isawlogs

Yep thats how it went down , I know I was sleepin right there beside it .  ;D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fat olde elf

Glad to see WDH got me on his list.......The Pig Roast is a major event for me.  Never have seen such a gathering of talent and personalities in one location at the same time........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Thank You Sponsors!