iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

We got about 4/10" rain here yesterday from 8:00 am until 2:00 pm, then it was just fog since. Nothing over night. That heavy fog will cut the snow as fast as any rain. Was 38 F over night here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

The field on top of the hill is showing some bare spots. That means I'm not far behind. The sun shines on that field all day. Sun was out here,but the dark clouds are coming in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

It's been bright here all day, but there are passing clouds. It was clear this morning. In the mid 40's today. The northwest wind was nippy this morning. I noticed water was chilling a little bit on the road but soon warmed up.

I've been sorting and tossing and boxing here all day. A man just acquires too Dang much!! And this is just the house. ::) I ain't near done, barely started. I need a good nap. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

Got down to 30° last night,40 here now and the wind is blowing. Sun is out.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Why are you moving Swamp, or did I miss that already  ???  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

40° was a low here last night.  :o  All clouds here for now.

chevytaHOE5674

A couple of "warm" days UP here with temps in the upper 40's and low 50's with southwest winds has really melted some snow. Some places in the fields are starting to show a little grass. Today is supposed to be the same and then rain on Saturday, after that its supposed to drop back into the 30's and while I don't want the cold and snow we really don't need this hot weather either.

Last evening the river rose about 6 feet in a couple hours and the water just touched the deck of my bridge, luckily by about 10pm the water receded. But with today supposed to be warm and lots of snow melting I wouldn't be suprised if the water comes over the bridge and if the 2 foot thick up stream ice breaks loose then the bridge will end up downstream someplace...

SwampDonkey

Marcel, I just like moving so much. :D

No, but I'm looking after mother for the time being. Building a new shop next year at the farm and tearing down the old house and a grainery. Building a house later on in a few years. I'm not staying in Woodstock (Grafton) where mom's house is, taxes are too high down there and nothing for it: no sewer, no water, no hospital. 1/3 the tax at the old farm.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Was to Bangor, Maine yesterday. Sunny and bright and in the 50's. They have hardly any snow down there, in a week there will be none. Not even in the woods.

It was just as warm back home, and 40F over night. We have no bare fields where I live. You sure you had all that snow? Must have been more than a couple days of 50. ::) ;) Nothing flooding here, the ice is breaking up in the Big Presque Isle.

chevytaHOE5674

Today will make 5 days in the 50's so far this year according to my records. But in the past two weeks we have had plenty of 40's, nights in the 40's, heavy wet snow, some moderate rain, a thunderstorm, and plenty of hot April sun. Couple that with a warm/dry Southwest wind and in the last two days my yardstick in the snow went from 18" down to about 4".

Snow in the woods and along the edges of the fields is still 3+ feet deep though.

thecfarm

Sun came out and a very nice day. The windows are open in the house. Wife just got done with what is probably our last maple syrup. Almost 50°. Looks like the mud in the driveway is done.

SwampDonkey

55F here today and sunny, might be the odd bare patch appearing today, but no bigger than a tire. Down to mom's there is less snow, more bare ground. It's been mild weather here for two weeks now. But it takes a long time to melt deep snow around here. It will be 2 more weeks before the lawn is mostly bare here. But snow on the north side of the house will be here until almost the end of May. Same with the snow up on a farm road that crosses over a ridge with large 100 acre fields around it. That snow will last until about June because it piles deep next to some woods that block the sun on the south side of the road. Woods is a loose term here, because it wouldn't be more than 2 acres on a strip of land, mainly large tooth aspen. The wood pile (1/2 cord) is just becoming visible today behind the house.  Still lots of snow. ;D Still can't clean up the shop. Can't walk no place with the saw dust and shavings. ;)

coxy

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 11, 2014, 10:56:06 AM
Today will make 5 days in the 50's so far this year according to my records. But in the past two weeks we have had plenty of 40's, nights in the 40's, heavy wet snow, some moderate rain, a thunderstorm, and plenty of hot April sun. Couple that with a warm/dry Southwest wind and in the last two days my yardstick in the snow went from 18" down to about 4".

Snow in the woods and along the edges of the fields is still 3+ feet deep though.
no pic it s not true  :laugh: :laugh: ;D

thecfarm

All this talk about fields being bare. This is the same way each year.
This is the field I look at. Maybe a mile away.

This is my fields.

The field in the first picture is in the middle top of the second picture.I am about a week behind the field that I look at. Won't be long now.

SwampDonkey

Is the field in the first picture facing west or southwest? Fields on a good slope facing west (toward Maine) or southwest melt off quicker than any fields around here. My place faces those directions. Harv's Hollow, we always called it, is a depression in a field facing north - north east, it is the very last to melt. And when gone, fields are workable here for planting.

thecfarm

Sorry swampdonkey kinda dumb on the west and southwest part.  ::) But I forgot to mention,that field gets sun all day. That field is facing the sun,is what I mean to say.  ;D  Notice how mine is the opposite way,or the wrong way for the heat from the sun.

curdog

Been mid to upper 70's and I have already started the dreaded grass mowing for the year. Most of the lower slopes are looking fairly green with poplar leaves but not as much on the upper slopes and ridges. I guess it's time to get my liquid weedeater out for the year and try to keep the edges under control in the yard.

SwampDonkey

Yes sun is good. I can sit out by the house (out of the wind) in the lawn chair on a sunny 40 degree day and be nice and warm. ;D

Aspen flowers are breaking buds around here. It's the right timing, nothing to get excited about. ;D

thecfarm

Sun kinda goes right over me. That's why the thermometer is not in the sun here. The house was built for the view not the sun. But my house takes kinda cool in the summer months too.
Guess I better be paying more attention to those aspen. Not many on my land. The white maple,red oak,white pine is what I have alot of. I noticed the tops of the white maple are looking kinda red. Just the very tops,when they really start to bud out,I can see it further down the tree.

SwampDonkey

Them red maples should be swelling good. I know around Grand Lake here and the main river they and silver maple flower about now to. I've seen ice down there still and those things in flower, even the flooded ones.

I here ya on the view to. I can see for miles here, even Mnt Katahdin with it's snowy peak and just barely the top of an adjacent hill down there. That's 60 miles off at the very least. My new place I build in place of the old house is gonna have a long porch on the west side with a roof too, not a deck. I don't like hot sun burning me up neither. ;)

Chuck White

In the 60's here today!

Just waiting for things to dry up so I can get the mill out of the garage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Over cast and like a part rain-snow at 42 No idea how long it will last. Looks like a shower right now. Might "shower" all day too.The dog don't want to stay out in it. And I don't blame her any. I'm not going out.
I did turn off the upstairs heat yesterday. First time this year.I had to turn it back on.

SwampDonkey

Froze last night, overcast now and 41F in the shade.

Jim_Rogers

Lite shower here now. should be moving out to sea soon.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!