iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Very Special Auction

Started by Jeff, February 22, 2012, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm excited to tell the Forestry Forum membership about a project that has created a one of a kind item in support of the Forestry Forum. After an inquiry from our member "Rooster" in Wisconsin to another of our members about creating something for the support auctions. Nebruks from Latvia and his fellow craftsman John Neeman, also of Latvia have generously put their time and talents together to create a Handcrafted Axe in the American Felling Axe style. The Axe, Handle, and leather sheath will be completed in the coming days and sent to me to then list in the auctions.

I'll announcing the start of the auction on the top of this post in a week or two. If you are not signed up to bid already, you might want to get that out of the way HERE. :)

Nebruks sent along some first photos that I put in a video slideshow to share and this note:
QuoteBeauty finished shots will come in 2 days. Maybe Jeff you can already post these pictures in the forum with the information about the particular axe and donation for the forum. Then as the 2nd part would come beauty shots in the forest and also our movie "The Birth Of A Tool" it will also be ready in 2-3 days.

All the best

Jacob

http://youtu.be/JC9ma74xZSI

From Nebruks.
Quote"We are a small company located in the small country of Latvia that is located in Northern Europe along the Baltic sea. Our company is founded by two craftsmen. Skilled blacksmith John Neeman and his friend carpenter Jacob, who's passion is traditional woodworking and bladesmithing.

We use our hands to create hand tools that will live and tell their story lying in hands of craftsmen that will use it.

Our traditions of blacksmithing and woodworking walk step by step together. We are uniting our history, traditions and craftsmaniship in one ancient craft. Tool making.

When someone asks, "Why? Why are you making hand tools in this hi tech age?". Then we usually answer them with this quote:

Quote"It is a tragedy of the first magnitude that millions of people have ceased to use their hands as hands. Nature has bestowed upon us this great gift which is our hands. If the craze for machinery methods continues, it is highly likely that a time will come when we shall be so incapacitated and weak that we shall begin to curse ourselves for having forgotten the use of the living machines given to us by God."

Mahathma Ghandi

Some of the forum's first introductions to Nebruks was when he shared some of the most beautifully done videos I think has ever been posted on the forestry forum. You can find topic here: The old way of felling trees (with a felling axe)
Additional Information:
QuoteThe web page www.neemantools.com is under construction at the moment. There will be available - framing chisels, woodworking and forest axes an adzes, drawknifes, froes, hunting knives and kitchen knives. Our page will be ready in a month with possibilities to order tools online and see all the process of how they are being crafted.

PHOTOS USED IN THE VIDEO SLIDE SHOW IN THIS FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4031
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Rooster

This is going to be an awesome auction for a very unique tool. John and Jacob have been making some serious tools that work as good as they look. 

I'm almost "giddy"!

Just wait until you see the documentary video on how they make their tools!!!
World class/ Professional...yet humble!!

Get ready for a piece of the "Old Country".

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

I've had some sneak previews of the video. Awesome work.

Don K

Saw the vid on facebook. A beautiful work of art. Interest will be high on that one for sure.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

WOW!!  I'm blown away by this.  What a generous offer!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandhills

And yet another very special item, this auction is truly amazing.  Sure doesn't take long to figure out the amount of talent and craftsmanship that has been put together here!

thecfarm

Thank you Nebruks and John Neeman for supporting the FF. You guys saw my handy work with the ceiling tile.  ::)  I won't be donating much to the auction.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

This is the first part to a short documentary movie that Nebruks sent for me to post that shows the whole process of how the John Neeman tools are being hand crafted so you all know the process that created the American Felling Axe for the Forestry Forum.

This is a carpenter's axe.

http://vimeo.com/37360333

Texas Ranger

Years ago I received a call from a gentleman to come mark and sell some of his timber for him.  It was around  his house and shop, his blacksmith shop.  Turned out he was one of the smiths that makes period hardware for the movies, as well as some for the Renaissance Festival sites.  He made iron for the Last of Mohicans film, the more recent one.

He was small in stature, but made the iron ring, and I had a flash back to older days, marking timber and listening to that ring. 

The old ways were simpler, and to an extent, more satisfying than now.  I think I need a walk in the woods.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Warbird

isawlogs

That is one easy to look at clip, I really like the music on there anyone know who that is or the name of the band .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

a special auction indeed.  i was very impressed by the generosity of the offer and the caliber of the video, not to mention the craftsmanship.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

dolce vita

"it shows"

customdave

That is absolutely AWESOME!!!...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Magicman

Wow, I thought I should have to bid just to watch the videos.  That is true craftsmanship.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

westyswoods

Artisans come in all forms. This is an absolutely amazing craft nothing more need be said.

My dog and I are heading to the woods at day break to just sit, look, listen and feel the day dawn. Thanks

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Jeff

The Axe is on it's way from John and Jacob's workshop in Latvia to Harrison Michigan. When the Axe arrives in a week or two this auction will commence. This is a wonderful thing :)  The one sad thing about this auction for me is that I'm the only one on the forum that doesn't have a chance to own this wonderful gift from our friends in Latvia, however I am one of a few that will actually get a chance to admire it in person.  ;):)

American Felling Axe

Hand forged traditional American Felling axe.
Laminated steel. Using W108 tool steel for the blade.
Hand shaped, (linseed oil and bees wax finish) elm wood handle.

Overall length: 32 inches.
Blade width: 5 inches.
Axe head height: 7.5 inches.
Axe weight: 4.4 pounds

Made as a special donation for the Forestry Forum.

beenthere

It'll be ok Jeff.
I'll let you look at it when you come visiting.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: WDH on February 24, 2012, 10:02:37 PM
I was mesmerized.

That pretty much sums up my comment as well.... :o

Magicman

I may not get it, but I'm gonna bid.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!