Sponsors:

I found a bolt on pintle ring for LT40 WM

Started by yellowrosefarm, March 23, 2013, 05:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowrosefarm

Quote from: kderby on April 03, 2013, 02:17:58 AM
Thomas, Thanks for your post:

Quote from: Thomas Ruga on March 31, 2013, 10:47:43 PM
Paul: Yes. slowed it to a stop! We adjust the electric brakes on all of our trailers every 4-6 months. With a good e-brake controller you can tell if the e-brakes are getting tired. We put a priority on brake maintenance on all of our fleet trailers. 80,000 lbs is a lot to stop! Maintenance is a lot cheaper than paperwork for an accident report and etc...

I would like to learn how to adjust my e-brakes.  The gain mechanism on my dump trailer seems to be less effective.  Do I tighten the brakes or adjust another part of the system?

Kderby

If the trailer has drum brakes, then it has a star wheel adjuster just like a truck or car drum. Jack up the wheel, pull out the rubber plug on the inside of the backing plate, shine a light through the hole to see which side the star wheel is offset to, stick adjusting spoon or screwdriver in hole, spin wheel, turn star wheel (should only turn one direction easily) until you hear the shoes rubbing on the drum. Then use the box in the truck to fully apply the trailer brakes and repeat the process until there is a slight but noticeable drag on the wheel when you spin it. Put plug back in and do the others. They do not self adjust like a car drum so you need to do it every so often yourself.

Thank You Sponsors!