iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not happy to report this

Started by Happycamper, January 21, 2014, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

I was just reading this post again ... and for some reason am remembering one of the old "Oh God" movies, where George Burns plays God.  In one scene, the little girl asks God why He made giraffes' necks so long, and He replies that it was so they could reach the leaves that they eat.  The little girl asked God why He didn't just make the trees shorter ... to which he pondered a minute but (as I recall) just said something like "Hmmmm..."

If there's a Great Sawmill in the Heavens, I'll bet Jim will be up there figuring out how to make it better ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ET

Jim,
I've been a FF member also for a short time, and have enjoyed reading your many posts.  You are an inspiration to me and I will share your work ethic/passion with my family and friends.  Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

low_48

It's some really rough news when the doctor describes your demise. My younger brother literally went out with his boots on. He passed from colon cancer at the age of 48. We were raised on the farm, and he insisted he didn't want a suit. So it was jeans and a pocket t-shirt, with his 12" work boots on his feet. His casket was placed on a flat bed truck that he drove part time for a local farm machinery dealer. The funeral director insisted on it being strapped down, so the wide yellow ratchet straps held the casket to the truck bed. The dealer mechanics were the pal bearers, in there work clothes. They drove to the family plot with that casket shining in the sun. It was an end that will never be forgotten in that little farm community. Share your time while you can, but keep a sense of humor like my little brother. God's speed Jim!

customsawyer

So sorry to hear this news. I have enjoyed your post and the inspiration that you have shared on this forum. Keep that smile on your face.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sawn4fun

I haven't been on FF very much lately so I thought I would check in tonight to see what's going on. This is not what I had in mind. Jim, you sound like a person I wish I would have known for a long time. You are truly inspirational and have an attitude that the rest of us can only hope to have when our time comes. I suppose sudden, unexpected death (as long as it's not too soon) is the preferred way to go but, on the other hand, having some notice allows a person to prepare and enjoy things in a much different way. I know God is already with you as you are with Him.

glenn molenaar

Prayers sent our God is powerful, enjoyed your posts, I will be 74 and your posts have kept me looking to buy a mill planning for this summer.

lowpolyjoe

So very sorry to hear it.  Best wishes to you

Happycamper

You are still at it fellows. Continuing to keep and raise my spirits up. I have never in my life experienced the love and caring that is, and continues to inspire me. It in itself is helping me to "saw"  on. I went to the cancer clinic last week Thursday to ask again if they would do a biopsy to find out the type of cancer I have. They made an appointment for February 24th with the chemo dr. so yesterday I went to the cancer clinic again (two hours from my home) and saw a wonderful surgeon I know and asked him about getting the biopsy done. Earlier I was to weak to be put to sleep to do the biopsy. So Andrew my surgeon said with a smile leave it with me. The reason I was too weak was for three weeks I did not eat or drink "anything" I just could not do it. Now I am eating like a "horse" and enjoying food.  Now I am sawing a little and have a friend that would like some 2 X 6 fir cut so I really have something to look forward to do however slow it goes. I also have in the planing stages to fly form BC to Ontario in May and stay two weeks at a resort I sold in 1972. The owners are all excited about my plans and always look forward to my visit. They provide lodge, cottage, boat,motor and all food and never have accepted one dime from me. Come anytime, I can stay as long as I wish open door to me.
Have I not a good life? I don't know if in 3 1/2 months I'll have the energy to fly, rent a car and drive to the resort but you can bet your boots I'm gonna try. Keeping it in the light side as I have said to many friends wow, my pants fit better now (not so tight) and I won't have to ever look at getting false teeth wit a little luck.
  Again and I will say it again thank you all for the incredible inspiration you continue to bestow on me.
                                         Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Stephen1

Quote from: Happycamper on January 23, 2014, 11:36:23 AM
You are still at it fellows. Continuing to keep and raise my spirits up. I have never in my life experienced the love and caring that is, and continues to inspire me. It in itself is helping me to "saw"  on. I went to the cancer clinic last week Thursday to ask again if they would do a biopsy to find out the type of cancer I have. They made an appointment for February 24th with the chemo dr. so yesterday I went to the cancer clinic again (two hours from my home) and saw a wonderful surgeon I know and asked him about getting the biopsy done. Earlier I was to weak to be put to sleep to do the biopsy. So Andrew my surgeon said with a smile leave it with me. The reason I was too weak was for three weeks I did not eat or drink "anything" I just could not do it. Now I am eating like a "horse" and enjoying food.  Now I am sawing a little and have a friend that would like some 2 X 6 fir cut so I really have something to look forward to do however slow it goes. I also have in the planing stages to fly form BC to Ontario in May and stay two weeks at a resort I sold in 1972. The owners are all excited about my plans and always look forward to my visit. They provide lodge, cottage, boat,motor and all food and never have accepted one dime from me. Come anytime, I can stay as long as I wish open door to me.
Have I not a good life? I don't know if in 3 1/2 months I'll have the energy to fly, rent a car and drive to the resort but you can bet your boots I'm gonna try. Keeping it in the light side as I have said to many friends wow, my pants fit better now (not so tight) and I won't have to ever look at getting false teeth wit a little luck.
  Again and I will say it again thank you all for the incredible inspiration you continue to bestow on me.
                                         Jim
t
Jim when you get to Ontario you will not have to rent a car. I will pick you and take you to the resort. It would an honour to do that for you.
Just let me know .
Cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Larry

May your journey be stress free.  I wish the best for you.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

saw on,Jim,saw on. ;D  I like that. You have been a big help to the forum. You made some great modifications to your mill. I enjoy your attitude towards us younger guys.I have been around some older folks that I can't show them a thing,because how could  I know more than they do. You are a joy to be around. You are a great friend to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

Jim,
Thank you for the inspirational outlook that you have given to all of us, God will continue to bless you ... and us.
John Snyder
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

AdamT

"Wether you think you can or you can't you're right"

I've loved that quote since the first time I read it, and it was here on the forum under your signature line. I've told my girlfriend that line when she said "I can't.." , And it worked. I just couldn't remember whose profile it was under.

Thank you! I'll always remember that quote, and where I first read it!

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

barbender

Jim, thank you so much for letting us know what you are dealing with and not just disappearing. I have always found your posts inspiring, the fact that you jumped into the world of  manual sawmilling at 78 really got my attention :o I am sorry to hear of your prognosis, and you are in my prayers. Please keep us posted as much as you are able when you aren't busy  living life to the fullest ;)
Too many irons in the fire

isawlogs

Having cancer is forever. My daughter has had a bout with it when she was fifteen years old and after a long , long fight , she came out with both fist and fought it and is now 29 years old. That being said, not a day goes by that we don't have a thought of this fight, we are always dreading the day that has come to you. As you , she is a fighter and after I told her of this post she said that if it ever hapens to her that she would do what you are doing, go with a bang, nothing will hold her back. Things need be done and will be done.
  I don't know where you are going in Ontario Sir, but I am only minutes from Ottawa, if you are coming this way to go to the lodge, I will be happy to take you there. You are an inspiration to many.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Lud

A heck of a situation which we may all find ourselves in one day.  You're a heck of a man to share all this with us and it has made a heck of a thread to all the Forum.

We're better for having you as one of us.  Our thoughts are with you...
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Jim,

The sorrow we feel when we hear about your return bout with cancer is because we hate to think of losing you and the inspiration you have always been since you joined this forum. We are further inspired now by your attitude and your obvious will to live each day to the fullest.

Only the Lord knows what our tomorrows will bring to us. We can always hope that He will use your life to reveal a little bit more of His infinite Power and Love.

Please know that I'm thinking and praying for you in this time of trials and tribulations. And should this be your last journey, know that you've got a lot of people who would do anything in their power to help you.

Herb

Happycamper

I suppose I should stop saying this, Thank you all so much for your inspiring, thoughtful messages. But I'm not going to,
You all bring strength to me to "saw on". isawlogs from Quebec by Ottawa  and Stephen from Oakville have both volunteered to drive me from Ottawa airport to North of Kingston. Tell me folks is there a kinder ,friendlier website on the net. I don't think so these fellows are people I have never met, but Stephen from Oakville and I sincerely hope to have a"jaw" and coffee perhaps in Kingston while I am at the resort as I will drive to town to do this. All depends on wether I have the strength to make the trip which in my world is a long time from now 3 1/2 months.

Never put off anything you have wanted to do in your life as one never knows when the tide will turn. As I have said the greatest regret is that I waited so many years to finally get a mill which I have thought about for well so many years.
I too am told you can't take it with you but if I could the one thing that would go with me would be the mill  under my right arm when I do.
                       You fellows are the Greatest, Thank You,
                                     Jim

Nomad

Jim, mills are heavy.  Don't try to carry the mill.  We'll get it there for you.  You worry about keeping the bands sharp!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Happycamper

You fellows have already lightened the load on me by standing by and offering the encouragement that you have. I does mean a great deal to to have that incredible support.

nomad,
  You have removed a big load from my shoulders so all I'll need to carry is my file, stone and' "pineywoods" setter with me to keep my blades sharp.

diesel pap

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

GAB

Happycamper:
Keep practicing as I've got a gut feeling that the lead carpenter in heaven (St. Joseph) is in need of a good sawyer for his next project, and put in a good word for you.  Wishing you the very best.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Happycamper

Sawing update,
  I have a friend that has helped me out a lot and would like some fir 12 ft. 2 X 6's so hopefully in the next few days I can pull some of the fir logs out from under the snow and and he can cut them to length and I'll put them on the platform at the mill, crank the saw up and make both of us happy. really looking forward to that as I am loosing (steam pressure) working, but can do this with some help.
                                    Jim

Thank You Sponsors!